Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Parents of transgender first-grader file discrimination complaint

Old 03-01-2013 | 12:04 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I would bang that mom so hard that it would cure all her children's ailments.

That boy is going to grow up pissed off that he was raised this way.
Old 03-01-2013 | 12:09 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by majik
You do know that there are genetic indicators for autism? It's related to gene mutation and can almost always be confirmed through objective testing as opposed to a subjective diagnosis by a psychiatrist or psychologist.
Just as much as there are environmental stimuli that can emulate a hand-full of generic and/or loosely defined symptoms. Yes.
Old 03-01-2013 | 01:10 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

environmental stimuli that can emulate genetic defined symptoms? Symptoms != genes

I'm sure there are some badly diagnosed situations, but being around a lot of autistic children lately it's fairly evident there is a problem. What you choose to call it is moot, it doesn't alter reality just perception.

I actually posted this on FB yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87UAZ11Y4Ik
Old 03-01-2013 | 01:23 PM
Administrator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_autism

Monozygotic twins show 60%-90% concordance, meaning that in 60%-90% of cases in which

one twin has autism, the other twin does also.
It's good to be informed.

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upl...csofautism.pdf
Old 03-01-2013 | 02:38 PM

Now show me the one on ADD. Facts are only as good as the medical professionals that ignore them.

Tibbi, derailing threads since rdt.
Old 03-01-2013 | 02:51 PM
Administrator

I haven't read anything about ADD. I've researched Autism.
Old 03-01-2013 | 02:59 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

ADD and autism are not comparable. ADD is far more commonly over-used, as the symptoms generally are just being an irresponsible a-hole that won't do what you're supposed to. A belt takes that out of you almost all the time. Autism, no that doesn't work.
Old 03-01-2013 | 03:30 PM

per http://www.ninds.nih.gov/

Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a range of complex neurodevelopment disorders, characterized by social impairments, communication difficulties, and restricted, repetitive, and stereotyped patterns of behavior. Autistic disorder, sometimes called autism or classical ASD, is the most severe form of ASD, while other conditions along the spectrum include a milder form known as Asperger syndrome, and childhood disintegrative disorder and pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (usually referred to as PDD-NOS). Although ASD varies significantly in character and severity, it occurs in all ethnic and socioeconomic groups and affects every age group. Experts estimate that 1 out of 88 children age 8 will have an ASD (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, March 30, 2012). Males are four times more likely to have an ASD than females.

Seems legit. But 1.13% of children might not sound outstanding, but that accounts for millions (plural) of children in North America alone. That's a hell of a number for such a crippling issue, especially a neurological issue.

And how is a diagnosis formed?

ASD varies widely in severity and symptoms and may go unrecognized, especially in mildly affected children or when it is masked by more debilitating handicaps. Very early indicators that require evaluation by an expert include:

no babbling or pointing by age 1

no single words by 16 months or two-word phrases by age 2

no response to name

loss of language or social skills

poor eye contact

excessive lining up of toys or objects

no smiling or social responsiveness.

Some of those are pretty specific, some can be seen in introvertive children alone. And some are even easily misdiagnosed poor behavior, especially if a serial event. I, in my heart of hearts, do not believe that all, or even the majority of diagnosed cases are true ASD.
Old 03-01-2013 | 03:43 PM
Administrator

I'm sure there are many misdiagnosed cases but your assumptions seem to be based on lack of understanding, education and personal exposure.

The observance of symptoms and behavior are obviously the first step to diagnosing an issue. When you go to the doctor, they will observe your symptoms and behavior to understand what the underlying problem is. You can identify the symptoms of a stroke using the FAST mnemonic, but you can further verify through testing. Sure, some of those can be related to parenting, development, or poor behavior but I assure you that kids aren't being labeled as autistic simply because they don't speak by age 1.
Old 03-01-2013 | 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by majik
your assumptions seem to be based on lack of understanding, education and personal exposure.

Believe me exposure is not the problem, if anything that is root cause of my unprofessional prognosis. I have personally seen over a hundred, literally, children, in a given area, mind you, that HAVE fit a medical diagnosis for all of the reasons I initially listed. My own nephew, as a control situation, was diagnosed with autism. HOWEVER that diagnosis was argued by his occupational therapist and his folks were basically told to get off their asses and pay attention to him. Obviously he gave them a more political version with specific goals and a daily regiment excluding access to his personal DVD player. He was 4.................. We can agree to disagree if a LARGE percentage of the diagnosed in a specific test group isn't sufficient to satiate.

It's like the global warming debate. From one scientist to the next no one agrees whether its human induced.

Until we can dissect a kids brain without killing them, or for that matter destroying the brain matter, there is not a better way to diagnose either way. I just want more stringent, long term at that, criteria.