Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Parents of transgender first-grader file discrimination complaint

Old 02-28-2013 | 04:53 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Elantra
Default Parents of transgender first-grader file discrimination complaint

A transgender rights group announced Wednesday that it has filed a discrimination complaint in Colorado on behalf of a first-grader who was born a boy but identifies as a girl.

The filing stems from a decision announced last December by officials at Fountain-Fort Carson School District that Coy Mathis could no longer use the girls' bathroom at Eagleside Elementary.

Mother Kathryn Mathis said she and her husband were shocked.

"We were very confused because everything was going so well, and they had been so accepting, and all of a sudden it changed and it was very confusing and very upsetting because we knew that, by doing that, she was going to go back to being unhappy," she told CNN. "It was going to set her up for a lot of bad things."

Coy was born with male sex organs but has identified as female since she could express herself, her mother said. The child had attended classes during her kindergarten year with no problems and no complaints from anyone at the school, Mathis told reporters at the Colorado Capitol in Denver, where she was flanked by her husband, Jeremy, and four other children.

Wearing a girl's winter coat, Coy stood behind her mother.

Afraid bullies would make fun of her daughter, Kathryn Mathis said she pulled Coy out of school during winter break.

"In the end, we just want what is the best for Coy," Mathis said about the complaint. "We want her to be able to go back to school and be treated equally without discrimination and harassment."

Attorney Michael Silverman of the Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund, which is representing Coy, said the complaint -- which was filed with the Colorado Civil Rights Division -- is intended to have an impact beyond a single family or school.

"For many transgender people, discrimination is a daily part of life. Unfortunately for Coy, it has started very early," he said, adding that the complaint is a "test of Colorado's Anti-Discrimination Act."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/27/us/col...ndex.html?c=us

How does a 6 year old know that he's transgender ? How does a child of that age have that knowledge?
Old 02-28-2013 | 05:24 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

A six year old will do what it's told. A quick google search shows that this kid is one of four: two autistic kids, one with actual brain damage, and this kid with a gender identity issue at the age of six.

Old 02-28-2013 | 06:55 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Coy was born with male sex organs but has identified as female since she could express herself, her mother said.
How exactly does a 1st grader express themself as a female or male? Pee sitting down? Really, how the F. Kids are kids. They don't know the difference at that age.
Old 02-28-2013 | 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

These parents are whack-jobs. They are rearing a whack-job. /story

They are setting this child up for a life of confusion. Maybe they should have just adopted a girl if they wanted a girl?
Old 03-01-2013 | 05:01 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

the parent[s] are brainwashing the poor kid

Not so girly back in 2010

Old 03-01-2013 | 07:39 AM
Administrator

Does the father know he's gay?
Old 03-01-2013 | 08:14 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

The children are still young enough, with a decade or so on therapy they can be cured of this brainwashing.... and their parents execution.

Seriously, this is the most clear case of child cruelty ever. So the BOY doesn't have bruises, but the emotional scars are most definitely there. And don't even get me started on this over diagnosed autism bullshit.
Old 03-01-2013 | 09:21 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tibbi
And don't even get me started on this over diagnosed autism bullshit.
Having a niece and nephew with autism, I'm curious to hear more about your opinion.
Old 03-01-2013 | 10:09 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

It's an over-diagnosed excuse to exempt a guardian from parenting.

Not saying it doesn't exist, I have a nephew with a legit learning deficiency. But contrary to the medical diagnosis he doesn't ADD or autism or any of the other swell of medical terms they've programmed his parents with, he's just a derp that needs MORE attention than other kids.

If a child is 5 years old and still not potty trained nor able to form a complete sentence, see if that kid has a television in their room. A DVD player? Now, how many hours a day is he/she in front of it rather than playing in the yard like a decent human child? Do the parents read to them? Do the parents do ANYTHING to encourage proper pre-pre-k learning? In my experience, and I've seen enough of this garbage in my years doing house-calls, if you roll up to someones joint with a Prius or 2 in the driveway, there is a roughly 50% chance of there being an autism awareness banner on the back. Answer the door and IF there is a parent home, the children are no where to be seen unless you happen by a TV screen, probably in the kids bedroom. The bathroom/kitchen will over flowing with various medications for all kinds of child-hood mental illnesses. This would encompass a large percentage of calls (and my nephews very existence, minus the Prius. Granted he just doesn't learn as fast either. a story for another day. Cliffs? He's slow, not sick.)

A legit case? I've seen enough of them but a mere handful in comparison to the large sum of the above. And in my experience, you'd never know from the outside, and in ABSOLUTELY NONE of these cases was there any vehicular advertisement. Just my experience, hardly claiming to be a medical professional. But keep in mind there was a point in our history where doctors thought bloodletting would cure cancer.... sometimes you can't just go along with the sh*t people simply tell you is the truth.

/my opinion.
Old 03-01-2013 | 11:26 AM
Administrator

You do know that there are genetic indicators for autism? It's related to gene mutation and can almost always be confirmed through objective testing as opposed to a subjective diagnosis by a psychiatrist or psychologist.