Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

North Gate Burns Up.. The Gate On All Korean Post Cards.

Old 02-11-2008 | 01:37 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_sub...;key=2008021101

Nation's No.1 Treasure Collapses Under Fire
Monday, February 11, 2008 07:42:09

A 600-year-old gate has collapsed just five hours after being overtaken by fire late Sunday.

Authorities said some 100 firefighters and 60 firefighting trucks were sent to control the fire at Sungnyemun, more commonly known as Namdaemun. The blaze began around 8:50 p.m.

But their efforts were stymied because of the wooden gate's waterproof construction.

Police suspect arson as witnesses say the fire started after a man with a shopping bag was spotted going in and out of the gate.

However, they are also investigating the possibility of a short circuit.

In addition, police said they'll look into whether agencies that manage the gate, including the Cultural Heritage Administration, followed proper management procedure.

Namdaemun had been designated the nation's Number-One national treasure and was the oldest wooden structure in Seoul. Construction of the gate began in 1395 and was completed in 1398 during the rein of King Taejo, who founded the Joseon Dynasty.
Old 02-11-2008 | 01:57 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

daaamn that's soooo messed up. that's a lesson learned, they should have sprayed that gate with some anti-flame glaze of some sort. that picture looks like its a total loss.
Old 02-11-2008 | 03:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Wow, that sucks, I've been there. Talk about awe inspiring. 700 some odd years old.

Wow.

I'm sorry John, you okay?

BTW, glad you are here, I need to talk to you IMMEDIATELY. Like THIS WEEK.
Old 02-11-2008 | 04:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_sub...;key=2008021201

... that sucks.

sounds like the equivalent of saying you blew up the statue of liberty.
Old 02-11-2008 | 04:47 PM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650

Mang that realy sucks it! I heard it on the news here last night and was like "NO WAY". So sad 02.gif

This is the latest.

Police investigating the Sungnyemun city gate fire say a man has confessed to setting the 600 year-old construction on fire.

Police apprehended a man, only identified by his surname Chae, as a key suspect in Ganghwa Island Monday based on witnesses¡¯ testimony that a man with similar clothing and bag was spotted going in and out of the gate before the fire broke out late Sunday.

Police have yet to find out why Chae set the construction on fire.

Chae has a criminal record of setting fire on a construction inside the Changgyeong Palace back in April 2006. He was currently on probation.
Old 02-11-2008 | 11:59 PM

jeez, according to supercow's latest link, Chae must really have something against ancient archetectre.

what i don't get is why do people have to go and do such thing? i find ancient landscaping, archetectre, monuments, etc. fascinating, and it actually hurts when i see/hear anybody damaging such beauty 02.gif