Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

No More Camaro And Firebird...

Old 09-26-2001 | 02:33 PM

Oh, well, yeah.. 96% of current US cars SUCK ASS.. But don't forget.. The F-Body is made in Canada. smile.gif smile.gif
Old 09-26-2001 | 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

http://www.teamsr.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.c...c&f=28&t=000022

I said this was going to happen over a year ago, but all the f-body folks wouldn't believe me. There was quite a flame over at fxtreme about this.
Old 09-26-2001 | 07:29 PM

Originally posted by skilspeed:
Aztek..*shudders*.

My buddy and I were talking about this the other day: Why the hell doesn't Chevy and Ford jump on the bandwagon and make some badass sport compacts?!! Check out the latest "Sport Compact Car" magazine..theres a new Nissan Sentra Type R or something. It's a 4door with 180hp and a 6speed. Nissan knows what's up..what about domestic car makers? Never willing to take a risk pisses me off.

2003 Grand Am. 3.4 liter Ram Air V-6 Supercharged. 0-60 in 5.9 stick, 6.5 auto. How's that? wink.gif
Old 09-26-2001 | 07:33 PM

Originally posted by HyundaiJVX:
What do you think the Focus SVT and the Cavalier Z24 are?
Don't put the Cavi in there with the SVT. The SVT will KILL a cavalier. Flat out and with no questions. An SVT is on par with a Grand Prix GT.

Hell, what do you think V6 Camaros and Mustangs are?

Besides overrated?

I can't believe no one was mad when Honda annouced the end of the Prelude sad.gif And they turned the Type-R in to some fugly RSX.
Not much on Hondas. But I never thought those two moves were that intelligent.

American muscle is dumb, overrated, and overpriced. tongue.gif

Oh yeah? Care to bring your tibby around and see how dumb and over rated my GP is? Now...let me inform you of something else. There is already a prototype for the 2004 Camaro. They (GM) have been wanting to close the St. Theresa's plant. That's why they are canceling the F-bodies (temporarily). GM does this all the time. Remember the Monte Carlo? What about Impala? Both of those are back (and even have prototypes with LS1 engines in them now). Muscle is coming back to the GM line up, it just took GM a bit to figure out that "Hey..they aren't kidding..they DO want this". Just like any other car dealer, GM thinks they know what we want better than we do is all.

[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: Onyx Dragon ]
Old 09-27-2001 | 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by Onyx Dragon:
2003 Grand Am. 3.4 liter Ram Air V-6 Supercharged. 0-60 in 5.9 stick, 6.5 auto. How's that? wink.gif

Uh...you can't have Ram air and a supercharger. Just like you can't have ram air and a turbo charger.

Somebody over at Pontiac is hanging out with the marketing boys too much.
Old 09-27-2001 | 01:08 AM

This is what I understood as happening:
Originally GM had unpublicly announced LAST YEAR that they would be temporarilly discontinueing the Camaro/Firebird. They also stated that a 2005 model will be released with major change to the whole car, hoping to bring back the American Muscle Car revolution. This was brought about by stiff competition and low sales. Ford engineers are now talking about making some huge changes to the Mustang to do battle with the new Camaro/Firebird. They haven't decided to produce/resurrect something entirely different than what they have or just change the existing models.

Again this is what I had heard last year and understood, I am not sure if this is fact or not. Only the big wigs at GM know the real deal.

Anyway I will be sad to see them go, I spent the first 16yrs. of my life in my grandfathers garage working on those cars. I respect and apreciate all that those cars have done for Domestic automotive history. R.I.P. Camaro/Firebird.
Old 09-27-2001 | 03:34 AM

Hi guys, whats up?

This has been in the rumor mill for a long time, and everyone knew it was coming.

GM announced last year they would be closing the St Therese plant where the F-Bodies are built, but never officially announced the F-Body was dead.

Well, it is now official. Rumors have it that the Camaro nameplate (and possibly, though alot of conflicting stories here) the Firebird will return as all new models in 2005. This is definately NOT official, though. Also up for speculation is drivetrain/configuration. I think it will probably stay V8 RWD (at least if they want to sell any of them). Might pick up IRS.

Oh well, I'll trade my TA in on some REAL Pontiac excitement - the Asstek

Don
Old 09-27-2001 | 03:53 AM

Vehicle: Custom Wagon

Originally posted by Onyx Dragon:
Remember the Monte Carlo? What about Impala?

When the Monte Carlos and Impalas first came out they were bad ass. Even the late model Impalas the 94 to 96 ones. But now I think they are a big disappointment.IMO. But if they put a ls1 in them and made them rwd again that would be pretty cool but if not I'm not to interested in them.
Old 09-27-2001 | 04:28 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Originally posted by guilty:
When the Monte Carlos and Impalas first came out they were bad ass.

Will always love the O.G. Impala's. It will definitly be my next lowrider. A nice 62 or 63 drop top, all show chrome 4 pump juice set up with 8 switches, 14" tru knock off gold Daytons, with some nice thin white wall's, pearl green paint with red microflake, and a full white/green O.G. interior!

*singin* Rollin down the street, smokin endo...sippin on Gin & Juice....

*lol* tongue.gif
Old 09-27-2001 | 05:10 PM

Originally posted by guilty:
When the Monte Carlos and Impalas first came out they were bad ass. Even the late model Impalas the 94 to 96 ones. But now I think they are a big disappointment.IMO. But if they put a ls1 in them and made them rwd again that would be pretty cool but if not I'm not to interested in them.

I used them more as an example. GM cancels lines and brings them back after a redesign. I know the camaro has a prototype, but I've heard that they are supposed to be brining out a GTO instead of the Firebird. I'm not sure what's going on with the F-bird though. As for the ram air supercharger, that was my fault, it's just supercharged, not ram aired. I was thinking about the current GAGT. Still in all, this whole get away from the V-8 thing that GM did in the 80's still p*sses me off. Jerks tongue.gif Btw, saw a SWEEET tibby today. Black with these chrome 5 point rims. Tinted with that silver tint and had the euro lights. Didn't look that bad. It looked like it had been dropped an inch or so, as there wasn't as much wheel gap, but I"m not an expert on those cars. Didn't look that bad.