Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

New Yorkers Are The Worst Drivers

Old 05-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

http://www.cnn.com/2007/AUTOS/05/24/gmac_d...rvey/index.html
Old 05-24-2007, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently they never drove in Qatar.. these guys are nuts. Autos have been their main source of transportation only since 1978 and btw... here's a fun fact.. Gas is $.09 a gallon here lol
Old 05-24-2007, 01:23 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Quick. Where are the safest drivers in the country?

A new magazine ranking says Des Moines, Iowa.

But the cities that follow on the list from Men’s Health Magazine may be somewhat puzzling. After Des Moines are Jersey City, New Jersey; New York City; Yonkers, New York, and San Francisco.

and where are the worst drivers?Columbia, South Carolina,leads the list, followed by St. Louis; Greensboro, North Carolina; Jackson, Mississippi, and Cheyenne, Wyoming.

The survey used data from National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Allstate Insurance and the Governors Highway Safety Association to rank 100 cities.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17964471/?GT1=9246

Unfortunately Fort Jackson is in Columbia, SC. They have the worst drivers in the USA.

I don't think an on-the-street survey of people is as accurate as logged factual info.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I think they're going off of the test you can take. In the link I posted, if you scroll to the bottom of the story, you will see a link to take the national DMV test. It will email you the results. I freaking got a 75% when the national average is 77%. laugh.gif
Old 05-24-2007, 01:53 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You have to be careful when dealing with statistics

See the reason they were ranked worst in the first link was based on people who took the written permit test 10+ years ago taking the present test and they would fail the written test if taken again, reason being is that new york just recently changed ALOT of their rules that drastically alter the outcome of the written tests, so the answers that were right when they took the test are now wrong.

They changed the color of the standard issue yield sign, even though alot of them are still the old color, they changed it so your supposed to stop one car length past a stop sign, your supposed to turn on your signals 3 times when parallel parking as opposed to once, etc etc.

This is just since i took the test at 16, im 21 now, imagine the differences if you took the test at 16 and are now 45.

What i would regard as actual statistics is crash:population ratio, etc.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:23 PM

hah! 95% I messed up how far back you should follow. Answered 10 seconds instead of 2.. I like to sit further back than most people.

As for how the tests are given in each state.. I am going to say a good quarter of NJs test is concerned with drinking and driving. Knowng how much you can drink before you are legally drunk, How much beer is equal to how much wine, is equal to how many shots.. BS.

Personally, with as many cars as there are in NJ. (highest percentage in the nation per person) if we were as bad a driver as they say, I would see a LOT more accidents than I do.

Most accidents I do see seem to involve out of state drivers.. mostly from PA
Old 05-24-2007, 02:26 PM
DTN

QUOTE (visionz @ May 24 2007, 03:51 PM)
I think they're going off of the test you can take. In the link I posted, if you scroll to the bottom of the story, you will see a link to take the national DMV test. It will email you the results. I freaking got a 75% when the national average is 77%. laugh.gif

I can't find the link to take the test mang!

.. oh there it is... it always screws me up when they post pictures and no words. I never look to pictures for links.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:31 PM

The problem is that 75% of people in NY can't speak english or read it.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:36 PM
DTN

Damn, 85%... That german driver's test screwed me up a few years ago.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:03 PM

Kinda not surprised that NJ would be on the list of safe drivers but I usually see them on one of the worst drivers lists. You do learn so much there from just driving though; but it is really stressful..(Newark driving is horrendous)

NYC drivers sit through stop and go traffic most of the time; so it seems like once they get on a real road with no traffic, they dont know what to do lol.