Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

New (used) Car Advice

Old 06-18-2009, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I'm ready to buy a new (used) car. I cannot drive the tiburon daily anymore, as I have yet to import it into the US officially, and the insurance is expiring. Plus, I don't have the time or money to put into it for what I would like to do to it still. So, I'm keeping it, but putting it on hold. In the meantime, I am looking for a daily driver which I can buy without having to modify to keep me happy, and which will be good in the snow. It MUST be manual, and I can afford an $8k to about $12k loan.

I am VERY picky about what I want. I really like Audis and VWs. I very much want a 2000-2003 Audi TT. I'm just having trouble finding a black 6spd non-convertable in my area. But I've been told by 2 people (Jed and my neon-loving friend Derek) that they are prone to electrical problems and cost a lot to fix. I'm not too concerned, as I only have a 6 mile commute to work and otherwise don't drive all too much. But has anyone here had any experience with Audis? Or know someone that has? It's a different ballpark than the Tiburon, that's for sure.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:54 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

I would say find a WRX, or some A4 series Audi. A friend of mine has an 01 A4 with a 5 speed, that he bought for 7,000 with 75k miles on it.

The only problem he has found with his Audi is just when he does have to get something fixed, the parts are generally a little more expensive, especially to have a shop do. The parts are still similliar in price to finding parts for the rd series tiburons since rd's are basically nonexistent in the aftermarket world.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:35 PM

I wouldn't mind a WRX, but it would have to be an STI, which is more $$$. Also I want something that isn't that common. I like the A4, but they are a bit plain, so I know I would find myself modifying it. With the TT, I know I'd be happy with it the way it is, maybe just add rims, that's it.

I also heard that the parts are more expensive. I don't think that bothers me too much, considering how much money I am used to budgeting for my tiburon.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Audi's and VW's both have bad electrical systems, like almost Lucas bad. I'd also say WRX. I'd go for a wagon non-STI for DD duty. You get a WRX at station wagon insurance rates. They're also cheaper than sedans.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 AM

Yeah I also heard that. But what specifically about the electrical system goes bad? My current tib has some electrical issues, not sure why. It's a weird car.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

It's random. One friend has a Jetta who's turn signals only work when the headlights are on. Another friend has an Audi who's cruise control will do random things (speed up, turn on, turn off, etc...).