Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Need Some Opinions

Old 05-30-2006 | 08:42 AM

I am graduating college in May and I am not sure where life is going to take me. I know that I want to move out West (Arizona, Nevada...), but beyond that I have no idea what to do. Yesterday I was presented with an opportunity to see the world and work in a foreign country. A guy that I met worked for a year in South Korea teaching English as a second language and he said that he absolutely loved it. He gave me the site that he went through and said it was the absolute best site to use. It seems like an amazing opportunity, not to mention that Japan is a two hour flight and Vietnam is only six hours away. Since I am a History major I am just not sure that I can turn down an opportunity like this. I need some opinions though, because I have never been out the country and the prospect is kind of scary. Any and all opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. This is a big step for me and I want to know that I am making the right decision.
Old 05-30-2006 | 10:44 AM

when I graduated in 94, I almost did the Teaching English overseas thing.. and didn't. I regret not doing it to this day. Go for it, seriously. The worst you can do is hate it.. or you can sit back and go "what if?"
Old 05-30-2006 | 02:29 PM

With a degree, (in pretty much anything), you can teach overseas without any problems!
Korea is kewl, but Japan is better wink1.gif
But yeah, I say, you're young, go for it!

And not to sound like an ass, but what are you going to do with a history major here in north america?
Old 05-30-2006 | 04:05 PM

^^^ true enough.. we already know that Americans do not like history, or we would not keep making the same stupid mistakes over and over and over again.

Not sure on Canadians..
Old 05-30-2006 | 04:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I say go for it. Though its a bit different then what you want to do, when I was still in high school, I went on a foreign exchange to Germany for three weeks. At first, I didnt want to go at all, but once I got there and now when I look back Im glad I went and have never regretted it.

Its a good opportunity, and youll see more of the world that a lot of us would want to see.
Old 05-30-2006 | 04:22 PM

I would say go for it. Any time you have the opportunity to go out of the country is always a good thing because you learn so much just from being there, and the feeling you get from teaching another person something is irreplaceable.
Old 05-30-2006 | 04:27 PM

I agree with everyone too. With an opportunity like that your less likely not to like it.
I am in the Air Force and I jump on any oversea deployment I can get because you never know when you will ever get a chance to do it again. So worse case do it for like 6 months hate it but you can then say you've been outside the U.S.

just my 2cents!
Old 05-30-2006 | 04:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Man you've got to take chances while you're young. When you get an opportunity like that you've got to jump on it. Plenty of time to settle down and "grow up". As far as it being the right decision, that's for you to decide not us. I say go for it.
Old 05-30-2006 | 04:39 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

go overseas man, live life to the fullest.

The ONLY reason you would have a bad time over seas (especially in South/East Asia) is the inability to make friends quick and socialize. Students there are taught better english than WE are most times, so the language barrier at work won't be too much to bare (unless you can't deal with accents).

I've been overseas with friends for long trips, and most fo the time those who have "bad" experiences and get home sick are those who cannot adapt to change and make friends quickly.

I think you'll regret not taking this opportunity. You can always come back to the US and party hardy at ASu in Arizona with all the hotties later in life.

..right?
Old 05-30-2006 | 04:41 PM

QUOTE (KayJai @ May 30 2006, 09:29 PM)
With a degree, (in pretty much anything), you can teach overseas without any problems!
Korea is kewl, but Japan is better wink1.gif
But yeah, I say, you're young, go for it!

And not to sound like an ass, but what are you going to do with a history major here in north america?

Well I have a History Major and Psychology Minor, and the plan was to go out west and teach at the Highschool level because most of the western states are so desperate to get teachers that you don't actually have to major in education. The fact that I could teach ANY History course, goverment, and Psychology would make me pretty attractive to most highschools.

I really think I am going to do the S. Korea thing, it really is a great opportunity and my area of History is global conflict....so Korean War, WWII the Pacific war, and Vietnam all are viable places to visit and get hands on experience.

I appreciate all the input, it makes the decision abit easier knowing that all of you guys would take the opportunity if you had the chance.