Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Need some advise!!!

Old 07-18-2001 | 11:37 AM

Default Need some advise!!!

k, here is the dalema. June 6th i bought some tires and rims from my local American Tire CO./Discount Tire Direct in a city that i dont go to unless i really need to cause its an hour drive. anywho i wasnt able to take my stock rims and tires home cause of lack of room so they said that i could leave them there and pick them up later. well ive been hella busy so i didnt make it over till today 18th of july. well the guy couldnt find them and said the manager would be back in tomorrow and to give a call to work something out. So basically they got "disposed of". Well im super F*CKING pissed cause i received no phone call saying to pick them up or they are going to toss them. has anything like this happened to any of you b4 or can anyone advise me as what to do or demand from them as compensation. and any tactics on how i should go about doin' it. i still owe 900 on the rims and tires and my plan was to sell the old rims to get money towards paying them off. any info would be greatly appritiated. thanks crew.
Old 07-18-2001 | 11:54 AM

What idiots they are! My opinion is if they screwed up and got rid of your stock rims that you paid for then they should take the price of the rims from the factory off of what you still owe for the rims you bought from them. I think the stock rims are like $500 but I'm really not sure about that.
Old 07-18-2001 | 12:17 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Contact your dealer! Get some kind of proof showing how much a set of new rims, and a set of new tires cost. Then go back to the place and show them how much everything is. Tell them to either reimburse you for the rims/tires in some how. Either with new a set or by taking the price of everything off of your new rim/tire package. If they refuse, then I would threaten them with a lawsuit or something. Good luck with it. wink.gif
Old 07-18-2001 | 02:15 PM

Yeah deffinatly last time i deal with these jacka$$es. when i first order my stuff, it came in a weak later and they call my house and i was at work but my mom answered. they tell her that my tires and rims were in but the sold my tires to another customer. My mom went off on the guy and he finally said that he would check around town and get them in and to have me come in anyway. i got my stuff, but still the incompatence of the place is mind boggling. thanks for the info guys.
Old 07-19-2001 | 01:54 AM

Before you go lawsuit happy, read the agreement that you sign with the shop.

Most shops have a clause that says that stuff left more than a certain number of days can be disposed of in any way that they see fit, including tossing, or selling.

The ones that I've seen usually say 2 weeks or so, but I've seen one shop where it's 3 days... Basically, if you want your stuff, you go and get it. If you don't go get it, you apparently didn't *really* want it.

It doesn't matter if you SAY you want it. I know of one tire shop that ended up keeping a set of stock rims for some guy for almost a year before they tossed it. The guy was going to come back for it the next day. AFAIK, he never did.

It sucks, but you can't really blame the guy if you didn't come back right away for the stuff. You should have called to make sure they didn't dispose of it.

Now I obviously don't know the whole story. Maybe you *did* come back when you said you did, but from your original post, it sure sounded like you were later than you expected to be.
originally posted by clownboy:
June 6th i bought some tires and rims from my local American Tire CO./Discount Tire Direct
<snip>
well ive been hella busy so i didnt make it over till today 18th of july.
Now I'm thinking that it's been 6 weeks (June 6 to July 18) since they saw your face, and decided that you didn't *really* want your stock stuff back. That's a bit of a wait for them to hold stuff in storage for you. If they had to keep the original tires/wheels for EVERY CUSTOMER that they had for 6 weeks, they'd need to double (or more) their amount of warehouse space. There would hardly be room for the tires and wheels that they want to sell! Because I'd be willing to bet that anything that they can't sell in 6 weeks won't be taking up storage space at the shop! Maybe rims, but there would be very few tires that would stay in the shop that long.

Yes, it sucks. And if the guy SAID that he'd hang on to them for 6 weeks, that's one thing. But I'm betting that the guy said he'd hang on to them for you for a couple of days, NOT A COUPLE OF MONTHS. rolleyes.gif

Now it sounds like they're willing to do SOMETHING for you
originaly posted by clownboy:
the manager would be back in tomorrow and to give a call to work something out.

I'd be glad of that, and not looking to sue them for something that they probably never agreed to do in the first place.

Go ahead, flame away, (I'm outta town for the next 2 weeks anyhow smile.gif ) but what it comes down to is that there is more than one side to your story.
Old 07-19-2001 | 04:10 AM

only thing i ever signed was the credit app. and we both know that it didnt say sh*t. receipt only talks about warrenty on the tires. they never said pick them up by this time or else. all the said was that i could come pick them up later. if you're ganna be that vauge, you sure as hell better back it up. and if they started tossing people's **** away without warning they wouldn't be in business long. and if warehouse space was ganna be such a problem they sould have made it clear by telling me pick them up with in the next week or at least contacted me letting me know. its just sh*ty customer relations and bad business on thier part. so deep down we all know who f*cked up. and my second post should have told you what kind of jacka$$es im working with. why in the f*ck would you call a customer up to tell them their stuff came in, but then sold it. rolleyes.gif good businesses dont assume their customers dont want something. as the old saying goes assume make an A$$ outta U and ME

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: clownboy ]

Old 07-19-2001 | 07:57 AM

Originally posted by clownboy:
only thing i ever signed was the credit app. and we both know that it didnt say sh*t.

its just sh*ty customer relations and bad business on thier part. so deep down we all know who f*cked up. and my second post should have told you what kind of jacka$$es im working with. why in the f*ck would you call a customer up to tell them their stuff came in, but then sold it. good businesses dont assume their customers dont want something. as the old saying goes assume make an A$$ outta U and ME

I still think 6 weeks is too long to leave stuff for someone else too keep.

And as to them being incompetant jacka$$es...

If I read that right, you're saying that they screwed up on you before you even went in. Mistakes happen. Sure. But when things like that happen to me, I take my business and my money somewhere else. Isn't that the basis of a free market economy? Apparently not, because these guys screw up on you, and you give them your money anyways.

Is it THAT hard to find rims and tires for your car that they're the only place you could go? If you're going to go more than an hour out of your way to get something, then it had better be for a REALLY good price, or for REALLY good service. Obviously, the service wasn't that hot, and you KNEW that before you even showed up!

And then on top of that, you showed up at the tire shop, not having taken the 5 minutes or less that it should have taken you to clean enough stuff out of your car to fit in the stock tires and rims, as long as they were in plastic bags to keep the upholstery clean, you ought to have had enough room between the trunk and the back seat. Even if you don't have a trunk, because you have a system in it... Did YOU make any plans for taking the stuff home? It sure doesn't sound that way.

Now, when the guy said you could pick it up later, I'd bet HE was thinking less than a week, and probably within 2 days. Did he take your name and phone number and put it on the tires, or did you just assume that he'd remember which of the 3 dozen customers he had walk in that day they belonged to? Kinda hard to call when you don't know WHO to call.

All this, and you don't see anything that you could have done different to have kept your stuff?

No I sympathize that you lost your stuff, and sure, it wouldn't have hurt for them to make a phone call, assuming that they did have the number. It also wouldn't have hurt YOU to make a call or two, either.

Now, if you want to be able to get something for your troubles, what you want to do is to talk to the manager, and instead of going ballistic, make the manager think that if he gives you something for the loss of your stuff (And he can probably obtain another set of stock rims, at least eventually) then you'd be willing to go back when those new tires of yours start looking a little thin. They LIKE repeat business.

This is in the "You can attract more flies with honey than vinegar" classification.

Now you can take this as a personal attack, but it's not meant that way. They screwed up, sure. But so did you. By being civil and cutting the manager guy a little slack, you're likely to get a little farther than if you try to tear his head off.

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: Dan ]
Old 07-19-2001 | 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I gotta agree with DAN here.

6 weeks is to long...unless you called them and explained that you could not get up there.

**** dude, and hour drive away? WAHHHHAHAHA An hour drive isn't that far! When you consider you just lost $500 in wheels and tires...I'd drive one hour for $500.
Old 07-19-2001 | 11:14 AM

hehehe, nice try at the "there is two sides to the coin" approach, but.... no.

If I read that right, you're saying that they screwed up on you before you even went in. Mistakes happen. Sure. But when things like that happen to me, I take my business and my money somewhere else. Isn't that the basis of a free market economy? Apparently not, because these guys screw up on you, and you give them your money anyways.

Is it THAT hard to find rims and tires for your car that they're the only place you could go? If you're going to go more than an hour out of your way to get something, then it had better be for a REALLY good price, or for REALLY good service. Obviously, the service wasn't that hot, and you KNEW that before you even showed up!
yes mistakes happen, this make two for them. they were konig flatlines which were in their new lineup and damn hard to find, bout 2 months hard. ppl said they could get them, but when it came down to it, oh we're sorry, they are not available yet. these guys gave me a better deal than les shcwab and i didnt have to order outta a mag and pay a ton of S&H.

and i had to put down a deposite, so yes im ganna go get my rims, they had them there didnt they?? getting my stocks back wasnt another business deal, if it was i wouldn't have went through them.

And then on top of that, you showed up at the tire shop, not having taken the 5 minutes or less that it should have taken you to clean enough stuff out of your car to fit in the stock tires and rims, as long as they were in plastic bags to keep the upholstery clean, you ought to have had enough room between the trunk and the back seat. Even if you don't have a trunk, because you have a system in it... Did YOU make any plans for taking the stuff home? It sure doesn't sound that way.

got two kicker L7 15's and two amps in the back, so your right about the system, no room there. i was at work when my mom called me and said they were there. my work is about 35-40 min from my home so i couldnt go there. they closed very shortly after i got there so no, no time to do spring cleaning. i thought i had enough room to take them home but the guy said, "there is no way that you can fit your old ones in your car. whould like to leave them here and pick them up later??" SOUNDED good to me.

Now, when the guy said you could pick it up later, I'd bet HE was thinking less than a week, and probably within 2 days. Did he take your name and phone number and put it on the tires, or did you just assume that he'd remember which of the 3 dozen customers he had walk in that day they belonged to? Kinda hard to call when you don't know WHO to call.
i couldnt tell you what HE was thinking. did he take my name and phone number?? why u askin me, not my job. they CALLED me to tell me that the rims and tires were there, didnt they?? after they got my money, they couldnt give two sh*ts.

All this, and you don't see anything that you could have done different to have kept your stuff?

No I sympathize that you lost your stuff, and sure, it wouldn't have hurt for them to make a phone call, assuming that they did have the number. It also wouldn't have hurt YOU to make a call or two, either.

if i would have known that they were going to get rid of them without my knowing or consint, hell yeah. but im no mind reader.

Now, if you want to be able to get something for your troubles, what you want to do is to talk to the manager, and instead of going ballistic, make the manager think that if he gives you something for the loss of your stuff (And he can probably obtain another set of stock rims, at least eventually) then you'd be willing to go back when those new tires of yours start looking a little thin. They LIKE repeat business.

This is in the "You can attract more flies with honey than vinegar" classification.
if repeat business was a major concern, would you contact the customer befor you throw his stuff away. not the best way to get into someones good grace, wouldn't you say??

6 weeks is to long...unless you called them and explained that you could not get up there.

**** dude, and hour drive away? WAHHHHAHAHA An hour drive isn't that far! When you consider you just lost $500 in wheels and tires...I'd drive one hour for $500.

id dive too, hey in fact i did. would have done it sooner if i thought (or was told)the $500 would be disposed of in a certain amount of time. BUT, i wasnt. would you even ponder the thought that alpine would dispose of you car if you didnt pick it up by a certain time, hell no. you would probably expect a phone call saying it is ready.

im not flaming with you guys here, like the topic states NEED SOME ADVISE. if the shoe was on the other foot im sure you guys wouldnt be going well, darn. guess i waited to long. if i only would have known they were going get rid of them. guess ya win some and you lose some. rolleyes.gif

Old 07-20-2001 | 06:14 AM

the last time i checked stock rims were about $170 a peice 4 tibby