Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

My trip to Korea so far (TONS O' Pics!)"

Old 12-14-2002 | 08:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default My trip to Korea so far (TONS O' Pics!)"

Okay everyone, now that the puter is up and I've been here for awhile, I'm gonna post the pictures of my assignment to Korea so far.

First, some notes...

1. Soju is good, try it with some Pineapple and Bananna Juice...
2. Soju doesn't have formaldahyde.
3. Kimchi is good if you like hot or pickled stuff.
4. Don't eat the radish Kimchi.
5. If your Kimchi smells like a 80 year old woman on the toilet, it's good.
6. If your Kimchi smells like a heap of heated used toilet paper, it's not good.
7. Try everything once, even Kaygogi (Dog meat).
8. Don't let anyone know you've eaten Kaygogi.
9. Most Koreans don't eat Kaygogi (Yes, there are dog farms here) and it's not REAL common.
10. There's lots of good clubs in Seoul, they are open REALLY late and serve alcohol until dawn.
11. Shopping rules!
12. Not being able to speak Hongul sucks. I want TIB PARTS!!

Ehh..

That's enough...

Ok, to start off with, here's a few pictures of the last things I did to my car before I left home in July...

That's my wife BTW... No, the picture isn't reversed, that's the REDZMAN Z3 Trunk Light Mod in effect...

I'm going to mount my amp right in front of the speakers and drill holes for all the wires so I can run them under the plating in the back. I'm thinking of changing out my box, and late late later making a custom enclosure... What kind of box should I put back there?

This is blurry, but this was when I installed my Racerboy shifter. I love that thing. Got my mats from Fast.Shark and am waiting till I get home to install the sills in case I find some better ones here. *No offence Fasty..*

Closer on the Racerboy and ebrake & shift boots. I think it all matched up nicely. I want to do my seats in the same colors. Those switches next to the ashtray are going to go away when I can get a replacement piece.

Thru the sunroof from above, the neons showin too...
Old 12-14-2002 | 08:13 PM

This is from the going away party...

My licence plate...

How'd that get in there?!?!?
Old 12-14-2002 | 08:26 PM

Annnyyyyywaaasss...

Uh... Yeah...

I left home and said goodbye to my wife (No unhappy ending here, she now lives with me in Korea). On the way we got stuck in Seattle for 5 FREAKING days. I love Seattle, but the Army STILL hasn't finished paying me back for the time there and charged me 5 extra days of leave. Bastards.

I hate Typhoons...

Here's Mt. St. Helens on the way in to Washington...

Space Needle!

This and the next are in Korea on the way to Camp Nimble in the town of Tongduchon Korea...

This is one of the ... Cemetary's? On Camp Casey, where I am stationed. Camp Casey is about 40 miles north of Seoul and about 15 Southeast from the nearest part of the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone, DMZ = N. Korea). Note the guard tower in the upper left.
Old 12-14-2002 | 08:29 PM

More pictures from the bus on one of my trips around town. Probably on the way to Seoul...

Old 12-14-2002 | 08:38 PM

Ok, first time I had to go do a Survey Mission (I'm a Surveyor), we went to Camp Garry Owen about 2 miles from the DMZ IF that. Here's some pictures from that and some field exercises this summer...

See that Church? Well, the mountain behind it? That's North Korea...

TIB!! This guy was cool, burned rubber a few times for us and took off like a bat out of hell.

Some ROK (Republic of Korea) Tankers greeting us. These guys were cool as hell too and were all smiles when we were there.

This belongs to some division commander of the ROK Army that we talked to for awhile. He almost shat his pants when he found out how much a piece of equipment called a PADS cost in Won. Something like 31 Million Won. LOL Nice guy, someone told him our Humvees have A/C. I wish.

If I remember right that truck was a Daewoo.
Old 12-14-2002 | 08:49 PM

Redzman, I'm glad you are enjoying your tour over there. I wish I could go back!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2002 | 08:53 PM

One of my favorite things about being a Surveyor. This is a Theadolite. It's a measuring tool for measuring angles and such. Right at this moment it was being used as a telescope on N. Korea...

On the move, and another Tib too fast for me to catch... (Yellow)

A trench and fighting position near the DMZ. The big concrete blocks surrounding the road are called 'Rock Drops'. In case of invasion from the North they have these ALL over the country. They blow them and the concrete falls over the roadway making it impassable to Tanks and APC's. Usually used in conjunction with tunnels, levees, ridges, ect.

Same picture from opposite end, where the Rock Drop is. If you look carefully you can see a few firing positions and bunkers facing to the right. The North would be coming from the right.

A picture overlooking my unit, in the distance, North Korea.
Old 12-14-2002 | 09:11 PM

This is the Chinese Tunnel, it was hand dug thru the mountain during China's incursion south during the Korean War.

HAND DUG...

It's more than big enough to drive a M-1 Abrhams or a M-109 Paladin thru.

This is a picture of the Han River valley near Expressway 3. This was taken on the top of one of the biggest mountains in the area. Took us over 3 hours to get to the top from the Expressway.

There's me. Yup, REDZMAN at his full glory. I'm standing on a bunker platform on top of the hill I mentioned in the last picture. The second ridge line behind me is N. Korea.

This is SPC Matthew Bergbower, one of my super troopers, posing inside the bunker mentioned above...

This is a hard working group of men known as the Survey Section of Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, First Battalion, Fifteenth Field Artillery Regiment. Stationed in Camp Casey Korea. This is my family away from home. We got some time off and this was right before our field showers (5 gallon water cans with the lids half open on top of the Humvee).

From Left to Right...
SSG Adam Winston, SGT Jeremy *REDZMAN* Zimmerman, SPC Matthew Bergbower, PV2 Micheal (Yes, Micheal) Biggs, SPC Eric Conrad (My Driver at the time), SGT (Can't remember his first name.) Wade, PFC Arthur Woods III, SGT Jeremiah Rooney, CPT Michael Needham, SGT (We call him Duhh... Don't he look like Droopy?) Steifer, SSG Thelonious Smith, and SPC Cerda.
Old 12-14-2002 | 09:23 PM

Your tax money, hard at work. PV2 Biggs and CPT Needham at their best...

This is us doing some training on Camp Casey...

Ok, that's it for the military pictures. These are some others from Korea.

My wife's dog takin a bath/learnin to swim. Que`. Yeah, I know... Here's how it goes. Kaygogi (SP) is dog meat here. We wanted to name her that but didn't want to offend anyone so, it was Kay for short. Since I'm New Mexican, we named her Que`. LOL

Crossing signs on post, note that they are well scratched, bent, and bilingual.

This is my wife's class, she teaches english. The ones in the Red are hers.
Old 12-14-2002 | 09:33 PM

A temple in Seoul. I forget what they called them, it's like one of the 4 winds or something. 4 gates? Hmm...

Street performers in Dongdaemun, Seoul.

Myself and CPL Yungbo Shim, one of my favorite KATUSA's and a close friend at a memorial in Insadong, Seoul. (KATUSA = Korean Augmentee To United States Army, self explanitory.)

Both of these are in that same Memorial area...