Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Most Viewed Video On Youtube.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Oct 31 2008, 10:41 AM)
i'm not saying you guys are wrong or my political views are justified, but this is a classic case of rural vs. urban. just look at the red and blue map of the U.S. and tell me it's not.

That map is quite a bit out of date:

http://www.electoral-vote.com/
Old 11-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Nov 1 2008, 12:27 AM)
^i'd say none of this discussion is ignorant or off topic. ignorant is being racist, not having a different but logical perspective. if anybody was ignorant, they wouldn't even be posting in this thread.

There is plenty of ignorance posted in Post #10, and the first two paragraphs in Post #11 are completely without thought. You need to choose what your argument will be and stick with it.

You can't compare one group of people with another, much less stereotype in the manner you chose to. I'd say one group has a much higher level and breadth of real foreign experience and is affected more by decisions made in Washington, while the other reads it online and hears about it through discussion.

And in your second paragraph, your statement says you can't compare A and B... then you compare A and B with an "INFACT" statement.

Also, your reference to Palin as a "rich soccer mom who likes making money"... Now that she's governor I believe her salary is something like $125,000/yr. Yes, that's a good salary by any standard, but definitely not outrageous for a governor. No matter who gets elected, both Biden and Palin make less than any President or Vice President in history going into office. It's been a month or two since I read the facts on that, it could be their 'net worth' that was the comparison rather than annual salary.

It still blows my mind that people focus on Palin's limited experience. Obama has no more experience to bring to the table than she does, but he is taking the bigger and tougher position of the two, he is running for President.

Unrelated... I'm not pointing ignorance or disputing it here, but I'd like to see the statistics that show the U.S. with the biggest crime rates in the world. Does this include Rwanda? Uganda? Sudan? Is it referring to overall crimes, or just violent crimes? When you get a country as large and diverse as ours, crime will happen. And some cities definitely have more crime than others. I'm just curious on what statistics you saw, I'm not arguing the point, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

I also don't think it's really "urban vs. rural" as much as it is the more radical positioned states, such as California and New York. California has historically always been challenging and attempting to change the constitutional interpretations (e.g., Berkley, San Fransisco). The rest of the country (85% judging by the map) are more conservative in traditional family values. Maybe urban vs. rural is the best way to refer to it, but I think it has less to do with location and more to do with tradition/radical thought.

That's all I'm going to contribute at this time.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

^ Just to support majik's crime statement. Some crime rates like murder, armed rubbery are higher in US than in most other developed countries (mostly because here criminals are more likely to use guns), and this has led people to believe that it's also true for crime in general - it's not true. In fact, Canada has 50% higher crime rate, and many developed countries have more than that.

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/200...24/150547.shtml
http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/c...rime-rates.html