Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Media Turn A Blind Eye To Record Greenland Ice Melt

Old 08-23-2012 | 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Based on climate reconstructions from North Atlantic deep-sea sediment cores, Professor Gerard Bond discovered that the millennial-scale climate cycles ran largely parallel to solar cycles, including the Eddy Cycle which is – guess what – 1,000 years long. So it is really the Sun that shaped the temperature roller-coaster of the past 10,000 years.

But then coal, oil and gas arrived: from the 1850s onwards, Man pumped large amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and the CO2 level today stands at 0.039%,compared to 0.028% previously.

With our empirically proven natural pre-industrial pattern, however, we would predict that solar activity had risen since 1850, more or less in parallel with an increase in temperatures. Indeed, both timing and amount of warming of nearly 1°C fit nicely into this natural scheme. The solar magnetic field more than doubled over the past 100 years.

(snip)

In the last 10 years the solar magnetic field dropped to one of its lowest levels in the last 150 years, indicating lower intensity in the decades ahead. This may have contributed to the halt in global warming and is likely to continue for a while,
From a card-carrying environmentalist, no less.

Yes kiddies they said we are facing some short-term global cooling. This .pdf criticising the IPCC report's biased author selection features a graph from only the last few years which should by rights be hyped by the press to get us afraid of the coming ice age, just like they did in the 1970s.

You all will have to excuse my memory from several years ago. It wasn't the authors decrying their own work being twisted, it was legitimate scientists decrying the work of a set of twisted IPCC authors. I only heard about the controversy a few times before the story was spiked, and I was in my car driving instead of at home smoking a cigar and paying close attention to the news, so sorry about the mix-up!

This thread makes me happy, so much potential for educating the believers in false anthropogenic warming, all in one unlikely place! Oh, and P.S. I usually don't use my MOUTH to type up my messages on the internet but thanks for thinking of me
Old 08-24-2012 | 07:05 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

The sea level at New York City has risen over a foot in the last century. Wait until they get hammered with a Hurricane. I'm glad I live 600' above sea level.