Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Media Turn A Blind Eye To Record Greenland Ice Melt

Old 08-20-2012 | 02:21 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Who cares about Greenland anyways

If it ain't merica I ain't caring
Old 08-20-2012 | 02:44 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I am not trying to refute ANY of that. However, I do still think human presence has had an effect on the earth, and I do think it's possible we're effecting the global climate even if it is minor or in conjunction with natural causes.
Old 08-21-2012 | 11:27 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by OTECTom
However, I do still think human presence has had an effect on the earth, and I do think it's possible we're effecting the global climate even if it is minor or in conjunction with natural causes.

So your stance is that, despite the fact that we KNOW the earth was once far more hostile, with a much higher nitrogen content in the air and world-wide average temps closer if not exceeding that of the hottest places of current.... Despite all of this knowledge and the millennia of eons that lay before humanity ever touched the earth, let alone the untold age of the cosmos, you think that our mere spec of existence has damaged this rock beyond anything prior? To put it into greater perspective, even if we say its been roughly 300 years +/- since the industrial revolution began, that's but a fraction of a second compared to the lifespan of our earth. In other words, our industrial impact has been less intrusive than a mosquito bite. IN FACT, our planet regularly spews "greenhouse gasses" of its own on a scale we cant even imagine (EX: Yellowstone, long valley, etc.) I personally think its human ego that leads us to believe that we're the cause of X or y.
Old 08-21-2012 | 11:45 AM

i read once that a single volcano puts out more greenhouse gasses then the entire state of texas

donno if its true or not, just interesting if it is
Old 08-21-2012 | 12:25 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation

About half of the world's original forests had disappeared by 2011, the majority during the last 50 years. Since 1990 half of the rain forests have disappeared. More than a half of the animal and plant species live in the tropical forests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca...ide_400kyr.png

Since the Industrial Revolution, circa 1900, the burning of fossil fuels has caused a dramatic increase of CO2 in the atmosphere, reaching levels unprecedented in the last 400 thousand years. This increase has been implicated as a primary cause of global warming.

http://climatechange.supportportal.c...estionID=33346

Question: Are human activities or natural variations in climate responsible for the climate changes observed today?

Response:

The Earth does go through natural cycles of warming and cooling, caused by factors such as changes in the sun or volcanic activity. This has been closely examined, and the warming we have seen in the past 50 years cannot be explained by natural factors alone.

http://www.nrdc.org/globalwarming/

Climate change is the single biggest environmental and humanitarian crisis of our time. The Earth's atmosphere is overloaded with heat-trapping carbon dioxide, which threatens large-scale disruptions in climate with disastrous consequences. We must act now to spur the adoption of cleaner energy sources at home and abroad.

That's what I believe
Old 08-21-2012 | 02:22 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

According to whom? Al Gore is not a reputable source, keep in mind. His specialty is legislative in fact I think you'll find that his credentials are specifically suspect as hasn't even a degree in any scientific field. He has BA in government then attended Vanderbilt for region before swapping majors to law and completing neither. In all respects the man is a failure and at BEST a hobbyist in the field.

Again, Wikipedia is not what is really considered a reliable source. This graph is pretty and all, but best I can tell was drawn by Joe nobody in ms-paint. I need quotes, factual data from reputable scientists. This doesn't fly. Wiki will tell you where the data is gathered from IF the data is available. This page only give info on forums regarding and traffic to the image file. No factual data. In fact, in my findings, and a lot of the journals I posted, the findings where very, very different. And that's directly from the people making the discoveries.

climatechange.supportportal.com Because, that's totally a nonpartisan, middle of the road 3rd party. They show no favor for a particular side of the argument.

I at least tried to locate non-participating sites for an effort in fairness. I even quoted National Geographic which slants HEAVILY in the other direction and still found data regarding my claims. NEXT

Climate change is the single biggest environmental and humanitarian crisis of our time. The Earth's atmosphere is overloaded with heat-trapping carbon dioxide, which threatens large-scale disruptions in climate with disastrous consequences. We must act now to spur the adoption of cleaner energy sources at home and abroad.
This isn't even a defense, its a generic statement regarding a layer of the atmosphere that, frankly, prevents us all from cooking due to intense solar radiation. Which is exactly what these "greenhouse" gasses do. Like a greenhouse they trap some level of radiation which tend to be good to our planet and reflect most of what is harmful. Now, I'm not saying that the gas layer may be a bit worse off than it could be, but the move to "eliminate" greenhouse gas (yes that is exactly what is said) is silly and by and large, hazardous. This statement, more to the point, uses an umber of buzz-words and logical deviation to fool the general reading public into a paranoid fantasy. To summarize that statement in other terms:

Our Earths natural evolution threatens all life on the planet. The atmosphere is engorged with the life preserving gas which we all expel daily and that plants require, and may or may-not prove hazardous in the long run. You must take personal responsibility to be more emission friendly, act with utmost urgency and indoctrinate others to prevent us all from a most certain and untimely demise.

That's paranoia and propaganda. Not facts.
Old 08-21-2012 | 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I just figured out what my special purpose was for.
Old 08-21-2012 | 03:00 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

rain forests are being destroyed, and much of it is because of drugs. What better place to grow the world's best drugs than a rainforest??
Old 08-21-2012 | 03:04 PM

i donno man meth seems to cook just fine at stockers house
Old 08-21-2012 | 09:27 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T

the earth is still in a warming state from the ice age, its still techniqally coming out of the ice age, sh*t will melt and she will re freeze deal with it, no one listens to al gore bs because it is bs