Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Is it me or...

Old 04-04-2006 | 10:41 PM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S
Red face Is it me or...

Is it me or does the new Camry look like the Sonata?

Old 04-05-2006 | 01:33 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Accent GSi 1.5L SOHC

I see a few simularities but for the most part they actually look quite different. IMO the Sonata seems looks more like the Honda Accord. I have noticed that recently the mid-sized sedan market has been following a cookie cutter design especially between Hyundai, Honda and Toyota. And when you think about it, it does make some sense when you consider the type of people that typically buy these cars. These cars are aimed towards middle class people who really don't want to drive a car that stands out a whole lot. They typically want a luxurious and refined look which these cars offer at a good price. As a result the cars tend to look very similar in overall shape. The differences between the cars is typically found in the design of the front grill, headlights, and taillights which as you can see the Sonata and new Camary are very different. If you want to see two cars that look the same look at the Subaru Impreza and the Saab 9-2.
Old 04-05-2006 | 01:35 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

What I'm sick and tired of is people thinking Hyundai copied Honda on the Rear tail light design. They're are both long.. yes... but that about it. It's like comparing a log and a piece of poop. They're both long but look different. THEY LOOK NOTHING ALIKE

2003 Kia Sorento VS 2006 Mercedes Benz ML class

New Mercedes model looks like old Kia model. Of course the biased car magazines doesn't say anything about it.

8 year old design Daewoo Magnus(aka Suzuki Verona) vs New Subaru Legacy

Old 04-05-2006 | 01:53 AM

What's funny is I really like that cookie cutter style. I see those cars and my neck breaks. Like the Accord, Camry, Impala, ect.
Old 04-05-2006 | 01:53 AM

What I'm sick and tired of is people thinking Hyundai copied Honda on the Rear tail light design. They're are both long.. yes... but that about it. It's like comparing a log and a piece of poop. They're both long but look different. THEY LOOK NOTHING ALIKE
I agree they do look very different other than length when you compare them side by side. This is actually the first time I've seen both cars at the same time. When I first saw a picture of the new Sonata my first impression was "It looks like the Accord" but that was just from my recollection of Accord. The differences are somewhat subtle (as with most of the cars in the market) so it makes the two look similar and easy to mistake at a glance.

As for the other two comparisons you posted, between the Kia and Mercedes the only simularity is the shape of the headlights but everything else is different. The Dawoo and Subaru are again very different. The lines of the Subaru give it a sporty look especially with the tail at the top of the rear.

What's funny is I really like that cookie cutter style. I see those cars and my neck breaks. Like the Accord, Camry, Impala, ect.

I don't think its a bad look but its not really my taste. I like a more aggressive and sporty look myself.
Old 04-05-2006 | 02:14 AM

Here's some pics of the Impreza and Saab 9-2 I mentioned:

Subaru Impreza Wagon

Saab 9-2X

No intercompany insest here wink.gif
Old 04-05-2006 | 03:21 AM

You do realize that those are the same car right?
Old 04-05-2006 | 11:34 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Yep.. the only thing different in the SAAB is litle bit of the exterior and the interior design. Otherwise, its all Subaru.
Old 04-05-2006 | 12:15 PM

QUOTE(hyundai jvx @ Apr 5 2006, 05:21 AM)
You do realize that those are the same car right?

Yeah that's what I meant by Intercompany Insest. GM is doing the same thing to Subaru as it is with Suzuki. Rediculous if you ask me, I hate seeing this kind of crap.
Old 04-05-2006 | 12:29 PM

is it me or does the front-end of the KIA Amanti look like a benz