Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

male nurses?

Old 11-03-2010 | 11:24 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tibby
Default male nurses?

anyone do this?

do you like it?

how is the pay and hours?

how much schooling did u have to do?
Old 11-03-2010 | 02:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

normally you will go for two years to get your LPN, another year for RN. very damn good pay AS LONG AS YOU STAY WORKING AT A HOSPITAL, not a nursing home.

nursing homes will pay for your tuition as long as you sign a contract saying you will work for them for so many years after you graduate.

first year LPN's working at a hospital, in the ER or trauma section, can see as much as 40k plus for a first years salary, RN's even more.

it is definitely not a bad idea to go through with and definitely a job with a high need for.
Old 11-03-2010 | 04:38 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

well in my quest to find out wtf i wanna do with my life i asked my mother in law about becoming a nurse (iirc shes a charge nurse)

heres what she had to say

1. the job is great cuz even if you dont like where you are, wait a month and a better job will open up

2. you will have old ladys with old views telling you what to do,wear,act, and say. its a very serious job with very serious tasks

3. being male you will become the official "bouncer" for the area, you will get the violent offenders, disgruntled vets, and the bums

4. being male you will be assigned the bullshit tasks, more-so for being a newbie. expect months of doing nothing but cleaning bed pans, throwup, and wiping asses.

5. expect bullshit shifts when you are new, nights half the week, days the other half. lots of overtime.

6. IF you decide to do it, stick with it, and continue to receive new training. some places will offer tuition reimbursement. it will take a while until you get into a nice comfortable surrounding (she works for the VA, 9 to 5, every friday off and never any weekends)

7. she told me once again you WILL be treated like garbage for the first few years, mainly to weed out the weak. realize if you f*ck up, you will get sued and people will die, so the older nurses will do this to you to force you to learn from your mistakes.

nursing will pay well, expecially right now where its not that common, expect NICE sign on bonuses and relocation expenses paid for a slight contract. for a example, a charge nurse averages 80+ a year.