Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.
View Poll Results: Should it be lowered?
Yes
30.00%
No
70.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Lower the drinking age?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Thumbs down Lower the drinking age?

On CNN, the debate whether to lower the drinking age, and if it would have a positive impact on alcohol related crimes (traffic,etc) and heath (aka,responsibility).

I've always agreed that the drinking age SHOULD be lowered. Discuss and vote.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/16/mcc....age/index.html
Old 09-16-2009, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

if your old enough to decide the countries future(voting, joining the military, etc) - you should be held responsible for alcohol BUT lower it to 19 to keep it out of schools

Old 09-16-2009, 08:02 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

Agreed. Yeah, as long as you're out of school and old enough to make every other choice for yourself, why not boose?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I voted no because of the immaturity that most 18-20 year olds have. I think it would work well to eliminate the drinking age altogether, but lowering it to somewhere around 18 I think would be counterproductive.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:21 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Tiburon

Im 18 and I dont think it should but must people drink before 21 anyway, me included.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:31 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

i like the idea of 19 just to keep it out of school but give me a scientific study that says a 21 year old is more capable of drinking responsibly than a 20 year old. Go to a bar around a college campus, you'll see what i'm talking about.

I personally think alcohol is a nasty thing. It's murderous on your body and mind, it's got addictive qualities, you get left with a nasty hang over if you aren't careful, a lot more bad decisions come out of it than good. i'm almost 22 and I rarely drink. every once in a while I go out and have a good time, but drinking to get drunk is for all the wrong reasons.

i think 18-20 yr olds are immature around alcohol just like they are when they first get a car. kids go nuts when they get what they've always been tempted with. give it to them and eventually they'll grow up.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:51 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

^ I semi agree, but at the same time,I feel younger people only abuse it so much because it's illegal. If they were old enough to do it, it wouldn't be such a rush (IMO).
Old 09-16-2009, 10:46 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent 1.6T

QUOTE (ereeves116 @ Sep 16 2009, 09:31 AM)
i like the idea of 19 just to keep it out of school but give me a scientific study that says a 21 year old is more capable of drinking responsibly than a 20 year old. Go to a bar around a college campus, you'll see what i'm talking about.

I personally think alcohol is a nasty thing. It's murderous on your body and mind, it's got addictive qualities, you get left with a nasty hang over if you aren't careful, a lot more bad decisions come out of it than good. i'm almost 22 and I rarely drink. every once in a while I go out and have a good time, but drinking to get drunk is for all the wrong reasons.

i think 18-20 yr olds are immature around alcohol just like they are when they first get a car. kids go nuts when they get what they've always been tempted with. give it to them and eventually they'll grow up.

I agree with this statment. most people by the time they are 21 tend to mellow out because they had so much time underage drinking. I myself was the same way. Slowed it down it just lost its luster...but a good 6 years of it being illigal and getting it made me feel cool, and allowed me to have more fun. LOL I had less of a tolorence for it by the time I was 21 than when I was 18 because I drank so much for such a long time.

I also agree with Bdiggy...it because they are told they CAN'T drink that they do it...

most kids start smoking younger now because cigs are illigal below 18 and they want to feel older...cooler. If you smoke you can feel 18...iof you drink you can feel 21! They are going to get it anyway look at POT, its the same idea...they should prolly consider legalizing that FIRST before lowering the drinking age.