Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

LED bulbs home improvement

Old 12-24-2012 | 12:43 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

My house was loaded with fluorescent bulbs when we bought it. They don't light worth a sh*t so I took them outside in a big, non-biodegradable plastic trash bag, I was smoking an entire pack of unfiltered camels at once, drinking moonshine from a leaded glass mason jar and spraying old fashioned cfc aerosol air fresioner, dumped the bag, aerosol can and jar into our creek, which drains into protected swam lands, then proceed to smash the bag with a big rock and the corpse of the last giant condor.

Not a fan of any fluorescent bulb.
Old 12-24-2012 | 06:24 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

We have 12V under-cabinet LED lighting that I designed and installed when the kitchen was expanded, so far it's been on close to 24/7 for 2 years with no issues.

Really neat idea! It looks great too! I have seen these done on ceilings before. They really add to the mood.

When I bought my house new 7 years ago, it came with light bulbs, they still work, I see no reason to change them out.

Half of mine blew out. I guarantee they'll blow one after another. The tungsten just doesn't hold up that long, especially with the tiny vibrations that occur with electric currents.

The LED flood bulbs I have are easily as bright as halogen, but cost less to run and don't generate anywhere near as much heat.

I agree and they are a revelation!

LEDs will typically last longer than CFLs. Either way you go, you'll save money. It's incredible how much it DOES save. This is EXACTLY what my wife does for a living: manages energy efficiency programs for Power Distributors to help consumers use less electricity so the power companies don't have to pay a premium to borrow from neighboring distributors (which causes them to lose money).

Totally agree. Sounds like a dream job! And a bit of a coincidence per our discussion here. It's a really smart cause. So much can be done to eliminate unnecessary costs. In fact I think the U.S. can become energy independent. My school (U of MD) won a competition this year.

My house was loaded with fluorescent bulbs when we bought it. They don't light worth a sh*t so I took them outside in a big, non-biodegradable plastic trash bag, I was smoking an entire pack of unfiltered camels at once, drinking moonshine from a leaded glass mason jar and spraying old fashioned cfc aerosol air fresioner, dumped the bag, aerosol can and jar into our creek, which drains into protected swam lands, then proceed to smash the bag with a big rock and the corpse of the last giant condor.

I was lol'ing half way through but the condor... the condor just threw me off my chair.
Old 12-24-2012 | 07:18 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Edited version is way funnier than the original!
Old 12-25-2012 | 06:36 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

I need a small bright white LED I can mount to a small press for a work light. What have you seen?
Old 12-25-2012 | 08:25 AM

Get a $10 flashlight from DealExtreme.
Old 12-25-2012 | 08:37 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

I bought a battery powered LED on a gooseneck that would be perfect except it is not all that bright. I need smartphone camera light bright. This one may do.

Old 12-25-2012 | 09:19 AM

You can buy just the CREE emitters from DX, and those are bright enough to blind you temporarily.