Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Large Hadron Collider

Old 08-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Its been nice knowing all of you. Sept 10th, they are firing this up:

http://digg.com/general_sciences/September..._Prepare_to_die

Those that are wondering what this thing does, nn a nutshell, they are trying to re-create the split second the universe was created by smashing two atoms at near speed of light. Other implications are to create anti-matter, or better known as "dark matter" . Its the oppostie of matter (yeah, wrap that around your head). For all matter that was created during the Big Bang, anti-matter was created. A flip flop of protons and neutrons. The result will literally create a black hole here on earth, but just for fractions of a second. This is what people are freaked about, and there is a HUUUUGE lawsuit right now preventing them from starting this up.

I won't even go in to the religious aspect of this, but based on what they find, the Catholic church is FVCKED, since this will pretty much prove the creation of the universe and how it started. Have any of you read Of Angels And Demons? Might be a good time. If by chance everything goes well in September, they are talking about firing this thing up for a much longer time frame in October. Alot of people are scared shitless over this thing and think it could seriously be the end of the world.

The way I look at is...hey...if it eats the planet and we all end up dying, its been one hell of a fun run, and I'll see everyone in the next life. nana.gif
Old 08-11-2008, 09:27 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way I see it, is that NOTHING can destroy this world, unless everything I place my faith in is false, and in which case, there's no point to anything to begin with. So I say bring on all the potentially "Earth Devouring" devices that could further humanity for the better if they function as designed to. That doesn't mean point a Nuke straight up and figure you can test God Himself, but hey, no Black Hole is gonna eat up my world. Can't happen. I'd pull the trigger myself I believe that so strongly smile.gif I think they only people who worry about blowing up the world, or ending life as we know it, dont really know much about this life.

On another note, I love science stuff that's too far out there to really understand!! Here's something to make sense of why somebody would develop a method of creating Anti-Matter. I've worked with a company who is doing Proton Therapy to destroy cancer. This is something rediculously better than radiation, as it targets the bad cells, and doesn't screw up all the surrounding good ones. Having said that, the next phase in the fight against cancer, is introducing a single cell of anti matter via nano technology, that touches nothing but one small part of an atom, which will then trigger a chain reaction breakdown of the cells that are part of that cancer. This stuff has been in development for years, and the very idea of Anti-Matter might as well be called Anti-Cancer amongst other things, most likely not as beneficial to humanity.

We've all see Daffy duck get zapped into powder by Marvin right? Imagine that power against something that's been killing us for years. I'd bet my life on the fact that bad things are gonna happen to this world, and that we're in a Golden Age right now despite the wars and greif known around the world, but we may have some time left before this Age turns to the next. The only reason we feel things are so bad right now is cause we actually KNOW about it, or know parts of it, or know what we're told to THINK we know. The Age of information is going to produce some crazy stuff, like anti-matter, but the longer this all lasts the better, haha. I'd not want to live during any other period in time, dont know about you guys smile.gif
Old 08-11-2008, 10:00 AM

didn't they have one of these things in terminator 3, and it melted the hot terminator chick?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:18 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

taken directly from your link visionz
Jenna Jameson announced yesterday she is pregnant. I would take that as proof life can survive a black hole...

There is not one specific purpose or expirment why this machine was created. In fact there are multiple machines, and multiple expirements have already been conducted. Major breakthroughs in the Standard Model of partical physics have already been discovered and reconfirmed by expirements done at CERT with this and similar detectors/accelerators. Of which include, verification of the thoery of wy the sun shines - the weak force. The discovery of the theory of neutral current and 10 yrs later the confirmation of it with the direct observation of the W and Z particles.

Perhaps the most influential reason for creating this "theory tester" is the possible creation of the much-sought Higgs-Boson. If observed the Standard Model of particle physics will be validated and thus there will finally be ONE fundamental "thoery" or explanation of the entire material universe. If successful, CERN will fully understand how mass is CREATED at the fundamental level.

Creating Mass? thought mass was an inherent characteristic of matter, how can one entitiy impart mass on all other by simpy floating by and interacting with them? Well imagine this;
You're at a big Hollywood Debut Party and the crowd is pretty thick, and evenly distributed throughout the room. When the Hollywood Star shows up at the front door the immediate people in the crowd around her start to gather tightly around her and interact with her as she moves forward through the crowd. As she moves through she attracts the people closest to her and the people she moves away from return to what they were doing before she arrived. By gathering a fawning cluster of people around her she's gained momentum, an indication of mass. She harder to clow down than she would be without the crowd. Once she's stopped, it's harder to get her going again.

This is a rudementary example of the Higgs boson, the "empty space" or the last missing link in the Standard Model of particle physics.

CERN, in Geneva, isn't the only entity researching the existence of this Higgs boson. In fact while they were shut down in 2000, Fermilab right here in Illinois continued research and expirementation at a smaller level than the LHC.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

They're firing this bad boy up tomorrow! So if the world gets engulfed into a black hole, and we all die....its been great knowing all of ya! tongue.gif
Old 09-09-2008, 03:06 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Click here for everything you need to know about the LHC and particle physics
Old 09-10-2008, 06:44 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundia Tiburon

Well we are all still here, so it hasn't ended the world yet. Had my cell alarm set to Still Alive from Portal, seemed kind of fitting.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Yep, round 1 down with no problems. I'll bet $1,000,000 that it doesn't make a black hole that sucks the planet in. Valid offer here, anyone want to take me up?

^^ Love that song!! I've tried (unsuccessfully) to get it on my phone...
Old 09-10-2008, 08:46 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Well they didn't perform any actual collisions yet afaik
Old 09-10-2008, 01:22 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

visionz, they didn't turn it "on" today (to do what it was intended to do). It was a test run to see if they could accelerate a beam successfuly around the collider, ONE WAY. Next test will be sending one the other way, then sending two in opposite directions. Then increasing the energy levels more and more to their claimed 14 trillion electron volts.

So take your tin foil hat off (but keep it in your back pocket cause they'll probably run a collision sooner than originally planned due to the positive results they are seeing from the test runs).

On another note, the LHC has swallowed Google..