Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Lambo Door Questions

Old 07-30-2007 | 02:45 PM

Vehicle: 1999 hyundai tiburon

well ive been considering the lambo door option, ive usually hated the conversion but they are always on civic and stuff but ive always liked them on sporty looking cars like the tiburon, the newer celicas and general curvy sporty looking cars.

i read something about people worried about lambo hinges on a frameless door, whats that all about??? any help is appreciated.
Old 07-30-2007 | 03:08 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

go to a shop that advertises installing such things. Ask to try some of their installations out (they better have some for you to try, or at least an appointment to come back).

I think you're referring to my post, critiquing the Tiburon VDK set-up. I've driven one and rode in another, both felt like something you'd build with Legos. After asking the owners about it, they replied that's just how it is. There is a certain finesse to opening and closing one of these doors, but even after learning it, I still hated the way it felt.

Don't take my opinion to the bank, I'm one of those OCD people that likes the feeling of those high end BMW doors that sorta just close themselves once you get the door close enough to the frame, and they sorta make that "woosh" sound, and it's just sooo damn smooth the entire travel of the door. wink1.gif

I LOVE the look. If I had a Tiburon and enough money to do nothing better than pour some into it for some trophies at some shows, I'd definitely put vertical doors on it. The pictures alone are worth the price. But after driving and feeling the installation first hand, the shitty feel outweighs the beautiful looks. I'd never do it to a car I drive on a regular basis.

That and the owner of the car I drove told me all the crappy parts of life with vertical doors. He can't park in his garage anymore (without climbing out the window, or scratching the door), his windows are constantly out of alignment when the door is closed, he's got scrape marks on the inside portion of the door facia that scrapes the driver side facia, and passengers never know how to open the door without banging it on something. But he has some sweet ass pictures of his car... fing02.gif
Old 07-30-2007 | 03:38 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (royal-city-shark @ Jul 30 2007, 04:45 PM)
well ive been considering the lambo door option, ive usually hated the conversion but they are always on civic and stuff but ive always liked them on sporty looking cars like the tiburon, the newer celicas and general curvy sporty looking cars.

i read something about people worried about lambo hinges on a frameless door, whats that all about??? any help is appreciated.

I could see suicide or gull wing doors being a problem with frameless, but not lambo. Lambo are the ones that hinge in the normal place and rotate up. Gull wing are the delorian style where the doors lift upwards and the suicide are the ones where the door goes backwards. Lambo should not be a problem at all.