Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Joining Ohio Army National Guard

Old 03-01-2009 | 09:05 PM

Hey folks...
for thost that dont know me If you want to get a run down of my past, just search in here and youll get a small idea. This summer I came home from school and dated this girl at work when I started... We fell quick and hard...she got prego even quicker. LOONNNNNNNNNNNG story short I transferred home because of this, she ended up losing the baby and goin back and forth between me and her ex...yes it was mine. anywaysssss. I am at home again and goin to school but I feel like I am getting nothing done with my life. I feel like every time i get some footing, some life changing event happens. Its always big, never anything small or more manageable. So i feel like I am at the point where I am waiting for happiness to find me on my couch instead of going out there and making my life happen. I didnt register for school this semester because I cant afford it on my own and bebcause I am trying to jion. Im hoping this will give me more drive, motivation (cause i am not very good at self motiv)

I went to MEPS just for my phys...failed pee test protein level lol didnt wait long enough after drinking all the water to pee the second time so I only got out what was left from the first time. lol I have to go back to meps to pee in a cup. I also have to go back AFTER that for my knee consult. Then if they say yes I am good, I can sign...if they say no, then I get a waiver, but I should be fine. I have a few thoughts and concerns

I know my recruiter can anser this but he wants to take it one step at a time and that involves gettin all this meps stuff finished first, so i just want all my answers lol

1. Ill be going in as an E-3 because of my previous college credit. How much do they earn monthly AFTER tax and expenses?

2. How do they do the previous college re-payment? Do they pay my monthly minimum or do they just pay one big lump sum up to $20k?

3. How often are you paid while in basic and AIT? I ask because my pops will have access to my acct to pay my bills. just want to make sure its in on time

4. What are some other bonuses or incentives? Signing bonus, quick ship bonus, some form i fill out since I will be paying rent while im gone, etc?

5. My MOS is a 14J aka 14 juliet. what are some other jobs you chose and like? i am a buisness major so maybe throw some ideas at me for that lol

Old 03-01-2009 | 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

they pay you on the 1st and 15th of every month
none of the college stuff really matters, besides the E-3 helps
as for all the other questions that should be stated on ur contract
if aberdeen is in ur contract, ur a lucky guy
Old 03-01-2009 | 09:16 PM

Thanks

ps...the college stuff doesnt really matter? lol It matters when they will pay up to $20k of past school debt. Thats why I want to know how they pay it
Old 03-01-2009 | 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

20k to ur past debt or 20k in ur pocket
get it?
how they do it? its the military. things happen, man. good incentives these days. it isn't a joke , do what u gotta do
ur gonna end up earning it
some guys enlist and get nothing
Old 03-01-2009 | 10:20 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

word of warning make triplicates of any and all documents. c y o a. cover your own ass plain an simple
Old 03-01-2009 | 10:20 PM

Its $20k to past school debt...and $20k signing bonus
I am asking how they do it as in how is the past school debt paid...nvm lol
Old 03-02-2009 | 09:51 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (homey14h @ Mar 1 2009, 09:05 PM)
I know my recruiter can anser this but he wants to take it one step at a time and that involves gettin all this meps stuff finished first, so i just want all my answers lol

5. My MOS is a 14J aka 14 juliet. what are some other jobs you chose and like? i am a buisness major so maybe throw some ideas at me for that lol

14J is a decent MOS. That's one of the Patriot Missile jobs isn't it? Anyways, I applaud your decision to join up and do your part. The military isn't perfect, but you get what you put into it. Let me look at your questions one by one.

I'd personally suggest that you look for something that will help you on the outside with work. 14J's do a lot of computer repair if I remember correctly, and that can be helpful, but not for business stuff. For business, I'd get a job as a legal assistant, or something in Public Relations or Accounting. Yes, they have these jobs in the Army.

Hell, if you went active duty as a 14J, you'd to go to Fort Bliss in El Paso TX. About 3 hours from here. Snowed once there in the past 20 years I believe.

1. Ill be going in as an E-3 because of my previous college credit. How much do they earn monthly AFTER tax and expenses?

Pay scales are on the web. E3 is a good start, better than a E1 for sure. Were you ever a Boy Scout? How high did you get if you were? How much college have you done?

http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

E3's with less than 2 years get E-3 1649.70 Not bad, but that's active duty. For the reserve or nasty girls, you'll get it calculated like this (this is how it worked when I was a reservist)...

1 Day of drill is worth 2 days pay. 2 days of drill, which is one weekend, is 4 days of pay.

Here is a reserve pay chart (Nasty Girls and Reservists are the same thing in reality, NG just has the combat arms jobs).

http://www.defenselink.mil/militarypay/pay...Drill%20Pay.pdf

E-3 with less than 2 years = 219.96 a month. Then take taxes off I believe.

So, for taxes, you'll have to figure out your deductions and such, but I'd figure about $175 a month. Months with longer drills will be more obviously, and months with your 2 weeks of annual training will be about 1/2 of active duty pay. Just requires a bit of math.

Not enough to live off of obviously, but that's what you get as a part time soldier.

2. How do they do the previous college re-payment? Do they pay my monthly minimum or do they just pay one big lump sum up to $20k?

You'd have to do some searching here. I'll see what I can find in 5 minutes.

http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/EN/Benef...203e1058ce861ee

http://www.military.com/money-for-school/t...tion-assistance

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/clrp.htm

Payments

Payments are made directly to the lender. The first payment is not made until after the member has completed one year of service, assuming that all initial entry training (basic training and job-training) has been completed.

Reserves. The Army and Navy Reserves will repay 15 percent of the outstanding principle balance of the loan annually, or $1,500, whichever is greater, for each year of service. The Air National Guard will pay 15 percent, or $5,000 (whichever is greater) annually against the outstanding principle balance.

Those should help.

3. How often are you paid while in basic and AIT? I ask because my pops will have access to my acct to pay my bills. just want to make sure its in on time

You'll have a choice of being paid once a month on the 1st, or bi weekly on the 1st and 15th. If those dates fall on a weekend, it goes to the previous Friday. If the payday falls on a holiday, it goes to the previous workday, so sometimes you'll end out paid like 4 or 5 days early. I'd recommend you don't give your pops access to your account and pay your own bills using online bill pay. I've seen good families ruined by playing in eachothers accounts.

4. What are some other bonuses or incentives? Signing bonus, quick ship bonus, some form i fill out since I will be paying rent while im gone, etc?

Depends on the job you pick and when you sign up. Incentives and bonuses are always changing, but usually are much lower for ARNG jobs than their active counterpart. Signing bonuses can be from 20K to 40K, but are usually for jobs you aren't going to want to do, like infantry and others. Don't know what you are asking about for rent here, but you can usually find out the incentives online. Some incentives are NOT avaiable if you take the big college paying ones.

BTW, if you haven't finished college, have you considered ROTC?