Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Job Question...

Old 05-01-2009 | 02:58 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Tucson Sport AWD
Default Job Question...

So I'm officially joined the USAF.... but my date to leave for basic is in august... I was wondering if I told Wal*mart that I joined the Air Force could they fire me cause of it or is there something that could save me from loosing my job until I leave?
Old 05-01-2009 | 05:07 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

Legally speaking I don't know but I would assume that that is not a reasonable grounds on which to fire you. I'm pretty sure a company like Walmart supports the armed forces and wouldn't fire you.

If you're really worried about couldn't you just not tell them and put in a 2 weeks notice before basic ?

But i'm almost 100% sure that they wouldn't be able to fire you for that.....
Old 05-01-2009 | 06:03 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

They wouldnt fire you, but they would probably give you a really bad hours until you left.
Old 05-03-2009 | 06:25 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Tiburon

Its illegal (Federal Law) to fire someone who is in the military that leaves for boot camp or goes on a tour of duty. When you get back from basic they have to give you hours. But like Visionz said they can give you crappy hours so you leave on your own.
Old 06-05-2009 | 07:27 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent

QUOTE(tibbykid91 @ May 3 2009, 08:25 PM)
Its illegal (Federal Law) to fire someone who is in the military that leaves for boot camp or goes on a tour of duty. When you get back from basic they have to give you hours. But like Visionz said they can give you crappy hours so you leave on your own.

Not only the crappy hours but many big stores that operate in mutiple states have unreasonable job requirements so they can fire w/o advance notice. I've worked for K-Mart overnight stock, and was fired for not keeping my quota. I demanded to see this documented. In the job description it accually says stockers are supposed to be able to open ,place, and break down 30 boxes in a minute. That's 30 boxes X approx 12 to 24 items per box within 60 seconds.

Either way I wouldn't say anything. On your last day before boot tell your manager "Oh yea I start boot camp tomorrow, sorry I can't come in."