Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

J3r0my Is Alive.

Old 09-22-2009 | 05:51 AM

So, i haven't been around in awhile so i would like to say hi to all member new and old. I basically wanted to post a thread and get some opinions from the people i learned to love RD tuning and auto tuning in general with. I have some ideas about what direction i want to go into with cars and such that i would like to get your 2 cents on.

first off with some past history. I bought my RD1 in '05 was it? I got into tuning had the basic I/H/E and moved into harder things like bodywork, suspension and engine internals. All of that was cut short though when i was hit on my drivers side leaving me and my RD damaged. I turned out fine after a few weeks but my RD was scrap, some of you may have remembered the pictures.

so after i bought a 97 Mitsu 3000gt base. I stripped it and bought performance wheels and tires along with a not so smog friendly exhaust setup. but its still FWD and NA. To tell you the truth i haven't ever really loved this car like my RD. its to big, slow, and heavy for a 2 door sport coupe.

well i have also had some career changes too. Three months ago i enlisted in the Army. I am currently on the future soldier program and will be shipping to fort benning GA for 17 weeks of OSUT (basic and AIT all in one) Sept. 30. I am E1 pay grade and my MOS is 11x. I'm scarred of basic training more than anything else and i pray everyday that i will be able to hack it.

NOW THE CARS!!!! which one?

'95 S14/240sx: 3-5K stock

5 speed, inline 4, rwd. now there is a lot of great things about his car, so many options that it makes my head want to explode. but basicly i would want to slam in on full coil overs, put some great wheels on it (TE37 anyone?), and give it a mild exhaust. keep the interior and all the luxuries but get a diff. for weekend drifting. down the road look into an RB20 swap, all OEM parts. i mean do you really need anymore power?

89-95 Lexus LS400: 2-4K stock

auto, 4.0 v8, Big Ass Sedan. what i would do with this car would be your basic VIP mods. Ksport air ride, 19" dished wheels, 8 piece body kit, dual VIP exhaust, and dont forget.... the curtains for intimate moments smile.gif.

the lexus is soooooo nice. but from what i have read they are a hit or a miss. some have awful electronic issues and others are just fine. the v8 will have the 260hp stock power that i want, and it will have all the luxuries i could want. sure i wont be able to go to the track but its a step in a more adult direction.

the 240sx is the perfect car for a young gear heads like me, unlimited suspension and body options, however the engine situation is daunting. stick with the underpowered KA, get an over rated and underpowered sr20 for 5K, or man up and go v6 turbo if i got the deep pockets.

here are some images to get a grasp of what i am wanting out of both vehicles.

so, VIP sedan or semi luxurious drift s14?

you military guys know my pay, what would be more realistic. BTW i have no Babies momma, debt, or GF. so im in the clear haha.
Old 09-22-2009 | 06:35 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

being that u a E1...u don't make shit...less than 1200 base pay...its all ur other pay...still less than 8 or 9 a paycheck...

it all depends and what u can afford...u should have some nice change saved from boot camp 4 months so I say 240sx...
Old 09-22-2009 | 08:47 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The physical part of basic will let your brain more easily screw up. While the physical part tears down and then builds back up your body, your brain will scream the entire time to slap that Drill Sergeant, or to tell him to go to hell.

If you can control your brain, the body will take care of itself.

Just remember why you joined, and that things are quite different after the 17 weeks man. "Permanant Station" is enjoyable, you spend a lot of time doing maintenance on your equipment, a lot of time training, and a lot of time cleaning. It's really a 6 to 5 job then. Field time is great, and infantrymen get to go do the most fun stuff in my opinion.

Keep track of your medical records, and always make copies of EVERYTHING for your personal files. Keep every LES, equipment record, and property reciept you ever sign. If you are hurt, get it noted in your medical records, a "ouch" now can mean "I can't move my arm" later. Not a scary thing, it is the same anywhere, but you need it in your records to get helped after you get out.

Best of luck my man.

As for the cars? S14 dude. Might wanna wait till you get a raise or 2.
Old 09-22-2009 | 04:52 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

GO 240SX!!!! I am currently looking for a 240sx to make my drift project. its got soo many option you can do to it and parts arent as hard or expensive to come by, which makes it great. Thats my 2 cents!!
Old 09-22-2009 | 05:34 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

Basic is a joke. I have done exercises with both the marines and army that were harder than our basic training. Dont worry about it.

Your pay isnt going to support the building of the 240. I would get the Lexus and resell it when you make E-5. Thats when the $ comes in and you can put it into a real hobby car. I bought my VR-4 just out of training and regret it. The car never ran well from the start and I just recently started making enough to where I can actually dump money into my passion.

I was never an E1 but the paycheck must suck. I came in as an E3 and just made E5 my first available opportunity and ive been in 4 years. Money has been tight from the start. I was single back then. Married with child now.

Get the fast comfy car, buy something that requires time and money later. The 240 needs ALOT of money to be made fast, and then you will need to sink money into tires if your going to drift.

Concentrate on your career sooner than later unless you look forward to regretting your actions.
Old 09-22-2009 | 06:48 PM

A lot of good replies so keep em comin. yeah after training ill have a chunk of change but thats to pay off my current car 02.gif. Yeah e-1 paygrade is a b**** but being infantry rank comes faster than most. But as long as im single and don't make any mistakes... banana2.gif haha i should be able to save a lot of that money for myself.

the only thing i really dont like about 240s is the price. the car is not worth what many ask for stock. usually asking around 4-5k. Used abused with ghetto mods and a nearly blown engine are cheap though, but usually those are the s13s.

secondly if i got the s14 it would HAVE to be a 95 model to be able to do heavy mods while being OBD1 complaint. I know a lot of people with the DOHC KA that drift every weekend, its not fast but it has "enough" power to slide. Best bet would be a RB20 because with that series RD you wont need a new rear end and they are significantly cheaper.

I really have the same idea for both cars, $2K wheels, kit of some sort (kouki front end), exhaust, and slammed. Just that one is driftable and more modable.

I appreciate all the advice on training guys.
Old 09-22-2009 | 06:51 PM

yeah I make pretty good money being an E5 for last 3 years and with family I have to take care of them first then my hobby...lol

I would defiantly wait and save to u make rank...keep current car then get something good and u can afford it...

but u can get a decent 240 for less than 5K
Old 09-22-2009 | 07:29 PM

that all depends, you live in motor city and i live in music city. yeah E-2 is a whopping 200 more a month. haha.

I do have a question about car insurance though. is there a company that sells to only military men and women? I have heard of it but i dont know the name of the company. the reason i ask is because im leaving my parents state farm policy.
Old 09-22-2009 | 07:57 PM

I from detroit living in Southen Maryland...

the insuerance company is USAA...im with them for every beside auto loan...banking, insurance auto and property, investments as well...
Old 09-23-2009 | 10:47 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Tell your recruiter to bump you up to E3.