Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

i need some support for cnk...

Old 12-29-2002 | 03:16 AM

Default i need some support for cnk...

I don't know if this is the right forum, but as you have seen, i previously made a pretty thorough post regarding my turbo project. well, cnk doesn't want to sell the kit to me w/o the pistons, injectors, and turbo. he says that when i blow my engine, he doesn't want his name being dragged trhough the dirt. i seem to remember someone else on the board getting just certain parts from cnk. i don't want any bad blood, i just want certain parts of the kit. i would like some support to show cnk that his name will go untarnished if i'm stupid and decide to wreck my engine.
Old 12-29-2002 | 03:26 AM

More power to you!!

I think Alpine and CNK and anyone should source out individual pieces. They would probably make more in part sourcing then anything else.

I mean, if their name can be dragged in the mud so easily, by 5 ppl wanting to run stock compression and "Maybe" blowing their engine. Then there is something wrong with the name.

5 ppl should not able to bring it down.
Old 12-29-2002 | 05:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

In a growing community that is still this small compared to the Honduh's?

5 is more than enough.
Old 12-29-2002 | 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Okay, first off. You can't MAKE any company sell you a product they don't want to sell.

You want to misuse a product, or simply use it for a purpose OTHER than what it was intended for, then yes, I wouldn't sell it to you either.

In that same vein, the pistion that Jaws021 shattered was in a "non designed use". He was using low compression turbo pistions in a N/A motor with a 55-shot of Nitrous Oxide.

Yes, In a perfect world, with perfect running engines, that pistion would have been 100% fine and not shattered. However, we live in an imperfect world. The same problem that Jaws021 ran into, could easily happen to you.

Could it have been a casting flaw in the pistion? Yes, it is theroetically possible. It is more possible/probably that, for whatever reason, that injector fouled up, or got a larger percentage of nitrous and ran lean, or any one of 1000 other variables.... However, due to that ONE incident, the folks with CNK pistions started to worry. Folks who were considering buying CNK pistions decided not to. We'll never know how that one "accident/mistake" affected CNK's business.

On the plus side. We've got Batlord. He's got CNK pistions, and putting down so much darn power he's pulling the turbo manifold mounting studs out of the head!!!!

Do the two offset eachother? Yes, somewhat. But the early damage has been done. In time it will be erased/forgotten. But I can see why CNK doesn't want a repeat or anything CLOSE to a repeat.

If CNK doesn't want to sell to you, there are many other places you can buy the parts you are looking for. CNK realizes that they might be loosing your business, but in the end, they will be possibly saving their company reputation, and I cannot fault them for that.

[ December 30, 2002, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 12-29-2002 | 10:06 PM

Vehicle: Ex Hyundai Owner

Since I'm guessing he's talking about me, I will reply on my behalf...

The way I see it is, if I had a company I too would not sell separatly since I have a KIT NOW... It is the most complete kit that anyone will sell, not even GREDDY or HKS would sell you a kit as complete as this one... so why would I want to sell 1 specific product for 300 bux or whatever and then you go and put some other name with it, when the complete kit sells for under 3k and you have MY NAME all over the car...

It's business and I think I would do it the same way... and as for why I got separate pieces, is cause I kept the CNK name alive all over I went... the kit was taking longer than Chris had said, because of his separation from his partner, I helped by having pics of his I/C, pistons, injectors, etc. out in the public... and many have asked about them and still are... that was a sponsorship deal, and I thank him big time... but like I said, the KIT is now complete, if you can find something better somewhere else, than oh well I guess it's CNK's loss for one customer...

I don't think anyone can bring CNK's name down anymore, but the products speak for themselves...

P.S. I just saw Tony's post, and agree with it 100% percent...

[ December 30, 2002, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: Bat Lord ]
Old 12-29-2002 | 11:49 PM

you seem to have missed the point!!! i know the cnk is the best kit out there, but i'm not looking to buy the whole kit. i know it makes mad power, but i'm not looking for mad power to "pull the manifold studs out of the head." if i had $2700, i'd buy it. however, i can put together a kit for under two grand that suites my desires as of now and for several years (while i'm in school). yeah, i can get the parts elsewhere, but the cnk parts are good. and yes, it will tarnish the cnk name to some, not all, people by being stubborn and greedy about this. one of the excuses i got for not breaking the kit up was that the price has been lowered so much, it's not possible. that's pretty weak. before i went to school, i onwed a business. no matter how much i lowered the price, i still knew what something cost and how much i could sell it for and still turn a profit.
Old 12-30-2002 | 12:06 AM

sorry you're missing the point, reread Tony's post, and you'll understand another reason... and as far as you thinking that's a weak reason you received... that sounds about right to me, if I've lowered a price on a complete kit for a limited time, why would I sell separately since the point is trying to sell them as kits... what if he gets an order of 5 complete kits, but had just sold a manifold separately, tell me where the profit would be then??? I would rather wait and sell them all then start parting them out...

Same thing if you were to sell your car with modifications, wouldn't you PREFER that someone buy your car "as is" since you are calculating everything into it, then start selling off the parts, and get less... sorry man

I guess Chris will reply to this post, but I'm with him on this one... business wise he's right

MAYBE you should ask him, if he would part it out after the JANUARY SALE... since most of the sales would prolly lower a little due it going a little higher which to me is still an awesome price for what he's offering... but then maybe he can start making/producing extra pieces... you have to understand right now, he wants the CNK name out there as much as possible, and I believe a KIT would help him out more than in pieces...
Old 12-30-2002 | 07:09 AM

1) yeah, maybe if i were sponsored by cnk, i'd agree with you.

2) when you sell your car with aftermarket parts, you can't add the value of your upgrades into the price, or at least that's what every new and used car dealer has told me, not to mention private buyers. why buy a used car that someone has hopped up and probably beat the s**t out of, when i could buy a non-modded car for less, that has the drivability the manufacturer intended?
Old 12-30-2002 | 07:52 AM

lol, see that's where you're wrong...

about 1 year and a half ago or earlier, Chris was under Ballistic and back then I asked for parts of his kit, that he was done with and never sold for reasons posted in his HP post... and guess what, I got the exact same explanation and reasons for not selling them to me... and I LEARNED to understand him...

but when I finally got sponsored by him, he had no kit, and he was out of the scene for a little while, but wanted to come back strong, and he wanted his name to be out in the scene... So you see you're wrong as to what you referred to...

thanks
Old 12-31-2002 | 12:42 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

I love when people who own Hyundai's complain that people are putting out quality parts for our cars... and that's what you are doing... and if you can make a turbo setup that you would be happy with then I don't understand why this post was even started... make your own setup, get it dyno'd, have a bunch of HP, then say "look, I didn't need your $2700 kit anyway" ... if you can't do that like you claim, just buy CNK's kit... simple as that... also, by posting here you aren't going to change his mind...