Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

I Am A Horrible Person

Old 05-06-2008, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

so i got a new car (well new to me, it's 37 years old) and was bored after work tonight. Wanted to see if I still had some Mingus, our local mountain with 189 twists and turns through it's perfectly paved 12 mile two-lane highway, in me (and I do) and everything went swell. Came cruising back down the hill with a big grin on my face and after the second cattle guard shifted to neutral and just coasted for a loooooong time (for shits n giggles). Well I started slowing to 50, 45mph and decided to give it a rolling "start" and just after shifting to forth I saw it, a cute little (actually it was about the size of my lab) bunny awoken from its slumber by the menacing growl of all 90 odd something of my horses.. haha. I have no abs, no traction control and braked as hard (and safely) as i could, but as every other roadside animal tends to do it seemed to slow as i slowed and speed up as i let off the brakes as if it were TRYING to finish its inevitable fate and maintain our collision course. I hit the damn thing and was surprised by the minimal sound it made at all, similar to placing your index finger inside your inner cheek and curling it while briskly swiping it outwards making that familiar *pop, lol.
...my first roadkill, I felt so bad.

What is the standard protocol for this, should I go back and bury it? Kick it off to the shoulder? start a fire and grab the A1?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:09 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Go back and get it, then fire up the grill!
Old 05-06-2008, 05:19 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Animal meat tends to spoil if you hit them on the road as the impact causes a release of muscle acid in the body. Thats why people cant eat fresh killed deer roadkill. I think thats how the hunter I asked long time ago explained it.

If it was a rabbit, those things will multiply like crazy. I wouldn't let yourself get so worried about it.

I dont think there is any protocol (at least not in PA) of what to do with roadkill so its up to you.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:42 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

^^^ he told you wrong frog. you just don't eat the areas in which the major amount of blunt force was placed on the deer. when deer are hit (any animal for that matter) the muscles that are effected or the meat in that area is moddled by blood cause of the hematoma (sp?). its turns the meat into a jelly like goo and is deemed worthless . another reason that roadkill is hardly eaten is cause if the intestines are ruptured all the bacteria in the waste will ruin the meat. you kinda gotta know what to look for especially in deer. i've hit 3 deer with cars, took two home cause the the guts were blown out.

offtopic.gif

that is why i prefer to archery hunt rather than rifle hunt cause of the difference in kinetic energy. a average 1" broadhead will leave very little discoloration in the chest cavity of a animal, usually no more than 1 inch all the way around the impact hole. rifles on the other hand, will make 3 to 5 inches dpending on the size or bullet and the amount of energy it delivers on impact.

whoa, kinda went off on that,lol. haha.gif
Old 05-06-2008, 06:52 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Well, Patreezy, bet you didn't expect the discussion to go into how to eat the rabbit lol Maybe you're not such a horrible person afterall smile.gif
Old 05-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Banned

rabbit is good.. MMMM def. wouldn't eat it though. deer 'might' be a diff story, but the blunt force trama hit the whole rabbit..

and depending on how bad any animal gets hit, all kinds of toxins can leak into the rest of the body, like stomach acids/bile, contents of the intestine, etc.. yuk.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:21 AM

That's terrible. I say leave it there so at least some other animal can have something to eat.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

In Tennessee it is legal to eat road kill.

Rabbit Stew!!

He just asked for it, didn't he...
Old 05-06-2008, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Charger

MURDERER!!!

lmao.gif

Just kidding. Now if it was a kid you hit on the other hand......
Old 05-06-2008, 12:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

You only ran over one rabbit?