Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Hurtin Tib

Old 10-18-2005, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Maybe I'll do that after I buy a new truck. I'd like to find a good engine, clean it up, and start working on it, PnP, etc... before I put it into the car next summer. My goal is turbo, but we'll see how the funds are after I get back from Japan.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:02 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

that sucks man. yeah, i got lost somewhere in darnestown not too long ago and i hit a few ugly unpaved dirt holes. i'll bet all the screws in my tiburon are about to fall off from that.

i hope this makes my point. i hope everyone understands why i dare not lower the car here. d.c.? i hate d.c. soooo much. good luck with the rampaging people rummaging the streets day and night looking fro trouble.

i hope everything works out for you. if i were you, i wouldn't get the tranny rebuilt. i would have a manual transmission ordered and your car converted for the same price as rebuilding. but that's just me. maybe that would make you a little bit more satisfied about the problem?

i'm sorry to hear about the whole mess. you would have to replace your rim and tire, but think of it, it could be worse!
Old 10-18-2005, 02:11 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Sorry about your luck man, but at least you know whats wrong with the car.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:41 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Don't pay that much for a tranny...
Just swap it to a 5 speed. You could have a shop pull off the entire install + cost of a used tranny for like $1500 man.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:28 PM

I agree this is a perfect time for a manual swap. You can find them in a junkyard or on ebay for as little as $300, including the clutch pedal and shifter and all that, the parts might be $500 tops.

This might be a stupid question, but when you had the tranny flushed, did you take it to a dealer? Because the Hyundai automatics need a specific kind of fluid which is almost impossible to find. If they put in regular Dexron III it would have messed things up. And I wouldn't trust that a shop knows what they are doing, because (for example) in a Haynes manual I have it says Dexron III is ok to use, when it most definitely is not!
Old 10-18-2005, 03:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ye, better yet the manual seems to be a lot hardier transmission than the auto. I expected a worn transmission when I bought the new Tib with 64k miles, but it shifts just as clean (maybe even cleaner)... than my old one.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:58 PM

Man I feel your pain, Ive had similar luck in the past. Hopefully everything will be up and running again soon for ya.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:48 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

that sucks... i just don't think it should be that much for the tranny

anyways, hopefully everything will be better soon
Old 10-18-2005, 05:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

stop payment on the tranny now.(hehe)

you could get an auto transmission off ebay with low miles for under 300, or a manual one for under 100 sometimes and convert it.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:20 PM

Well all of your concerns are well taken guys, but its 1) To late to stop a transaction and 2) need the car back ASAP so I can drive to work and back. However, my plan like I said is to get another engine and hook it up, so I'll just get a manual tranny then. And keep the Auto tranny for back up or ebay it when it comes time, it'll have a lifetime warrenty on it, so its got value for itself.