Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Hurtin Tib

Old 10-18-2005, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So today is a sad day for me.

As few of you may know, I've recently seperated out of the military a few months ago, well I have a new job in DC, working at the Pentagon.

As more of you will know, I've been reluctant to drive my car around due to a missing fender that I've been waiting to get replaced for nearly a year. I was not driving it because I really just didn't feel like putting up with the cops about it. But here I was needing to get my tib to Fairfax, VA from Roanoke (Southwestern VA). And thus started a weekend of hell.

I've been good about starting my car and driving it up and down my street and neighborhood two or three times a week just to keep it moving. Friday, I started my trip from Roanoke to DC, about 80 miles into my drive at 9pm, I was just crusing along the interstate about 75mph when I lost power steering. Curious, obviously, I pulled off the interstate to a gas station and popped the hood. How nice to see my power steering belt shreaded apart, yep, shreaded, not broke or snapped, but shreaded laterally along the the seam. So I pull the belt out so it doesn't tangle with the other one, look at it, the belt is dry rotted. Great, wonderful, exactly the thing I wanted, to drive the next the 210 miles without powersteering, good thing I was getting into DC around 11pm, just in time to see the outragous DC Friday night, nightlife. So anyways! I get back on the interstate start to come into Fairfax County (about 25 miles west of DC) when I start coming into a construction area on I-66 Eastbound. There is no kidding probably a 2 inch drop from paved road to grated being worked on road, with a beautiful 2 inch rise on the other side. So its 11pm I can't see these drops or rises, and I hit the rise dead on. Cringing, I started listening to see if I may have blown a tire with that impact. Nope, all is well. Get to my place, tell myself I'm going to go take the car in first thing in the morning to get the belt replaced.

Saturday Morning, 6:30am, walk out to my car, not really looking forward to driving through the DC area without powersteering, when (I SWEAR TO WHOEVER YOU WANT ME TO) I'm 30 feet away and see a flat spot in my front driver side rim. Walk up to it, and sure as hell, my rim is seriously bent, with a good 2 1/2 - 3inch crack. So now that I'm BUMMMED about my rim (not so much my belt and no powersteering) I drive my car to the garage and drop it off. After they get it fixed, I pick it up, drive to the hotel.

Sunday = no driving, just sad and thinking about my hurt 17" Konig Trouble

Monday Morning, 5:30am, I go out to start the car, its pretty cool out, she needs gas, so I take the chance with the cops, and go to drive her to the gas station, about 4 miles away. Start the drive when NO SHT I'm driving about 45 mph when my rpms start to redline. Let off the gas, got down to about 30mph, pushed on the gas and was still high reving but going along. Pull over, drive around a parking lot, put the car in 1st (I have an auto) car gases fine, bump it up to 2nd and it was like I was in neutral. Stop, try it again, same thing happens. Put it in Reverse, guess what. Nope, that don't work either. Pop the hood, take off my silk shirt and use it as a rag, pull the tranny dip stick (no not me, the one in the car). Tranny fluid is extremely dirty, just nasty as could be, but no burnt smell to it. I was beyond ticked at this point. Why? Because in the last 3 years, I've had my tranny flushed twice! So why was it nasty is all I could think about. Checked it again, yep, still nasty, and now I noticed that its overfilled, which perplexed me even more. So all I could think of is that my tranny has been melting for awhile, and thats the reason its dirty. And the reason I'm getting a overfilled measure is that because something is clogged and is pushing it back instead of running smoothly. So I made the decision to not drive it, and called a tow truck. I have it taken to a nearby AAMCO station. They put it against the machine, only code that returns is that 4th gear isn't engaging. Well thats nice, thank you, now tell me why the computer isn't recognizing R,2,and 3rd? So I leave, get a rental, and AAMCO calls me later, they ask if they were going to replace it they'd recommend a factory rebuild vs. their rebuild. So I bite, makes sense to me, why not get a rebuild from the people that make the car. So I tell them, that they have my approval to get the tranny, and they said, "Okay, great, just to let you know, we're not ordering it at this moment, we just wanted to get your approval if its needed, and we can't get a hold of you tomorrow (meaning today). We're going to drop the tranny tomorrow, take it apart and make sure its not something we can fix, so keep your fingers crossed, if we can fix it we will, and we'll try to help you save some money doing it." Did I mention the factory rebuild would cost me $1,850 plus labor, so about $2400 total.

So yeah, thats been my weekend from hell. AAMCO is treating me good, no gripes with them, just a gripe about how when it rains, it pours. Sorry you all had to read that, just needed to vent a bit.

Respectfully,
Brake
Old 10-18-2005, 07:10 AM

ammco stretcher.gif towtruck
tib(in middle)

hope everything is better now and the job is goin well!
Old 10-18-2005, 07:13 AM

^ LOL

Just cause I'm a civilian now, and a US Defense contractor, and work in the Pentagon, definatly doesn't mean I make big bills. cool.gif

Its DC brother.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:17 AM

lol w/e you say skipper. make bigger bills than me no doubt. lol sounds like you hit just about rock bottom now the only way to go is up...so rebuild the motor and turbo that b****H!!
Old 10-18-2005, 07:19 AM

You could put that $2,000 on getting a new Elantra or Tiburon. You could also use this opportunity to get tranny swap but that's me.. wink1.gif Sorry about your misfortune.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:50 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

crap happens!

sorry to hear about it
Old 10-18-2005, 09:22 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yah esspecially since you gotta pay for it all yourself, it would prolly be cheaper to do the swap, and that would get you out of the crappy autotragic hyundai tranny cycle. good luck with it all.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:14 AM

That would be a good idea, but where do I get the manual tranny, and then how much is that going to cost in labor to get converted.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:26 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

what a sad, sad story...

and the price quote for the tranny seems quite absurd to me.

good luck!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:31 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

See if you have any U-Pull-It junk yards around your area... I could get you one for under $150, but I dont think I am driving down to VA anytime soon...