Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

How'd You Get Your Car?

Old 02-15-2005 | 11:22 AM

i paid 14k for mine in aug 01 right after i got married. my truck was given to my from my mom. Parents paid 1/2 on my bro's new car. so they gave me a 10year old truck that they only paid 3k for. They spent 5k oh his car. Then I had to give my truck to my brother to come over here. So now i get to spend 40k on my new nissan.
Old 02-15-2005 | 11:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I had a geo prism laugh.gif: when i got my license, sold it about a year later (i think) for $1500 with 160,000 miles on it! haha not bad. Before i sold it i came across my tib, which i instantly loved and had to get. $6500 with 65,000 miles. It becomes officially mine in june! laugh.gif: . and about the parent stuff, i guess i could see them paying insurance, BUT GAS!?! damn!

i wish i coulda got any of those luxouries(sp?). think of the mods i coulda afforded.... mmmm haha
Old 02-15-2005 | 12:01 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

QUOTE (TibMinn)
i wish i coulda got any of those luxouries(sp?). think of the mods i coulda afforded.... mmmm haha

Dam Straight! My insurance + gas I've paid since I've had my Tiburon = a Speed-Factor Turbo Kit! sucks to think about it that way....
Old 02-15-2005 | 12:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (Patreezy)
Dam Straight! My insurance + gas I've paid since I've had my Tiburon = a Speed-Factor Turbo Kit! sucks to think about it that way....

and dont forget the car itself laugh.gif:
Old 02-15-2005 | 02:55 PM

QUOTE (blacktibby)
Well it all started when my cougar died .. And i don't mean an older lady that hangs out at young aged bars picking up Young me... *Shivers ..

Dear gods... I gotta stop drinking soda when I read these threads......
Old 02-15-2005 | 04:28 PM

Ahhhhhhh. lessie...
My first car, 1985 Thunderbird Elan given to me by my parents in 1995 when my mom bought a new 1996 Thunderbird LX. I drove (well, it's a FORD, so I was under it more than I was in it...) it until 1998 when it had a fight with the side of the mountians on Angeles Crest Hwy. (Those of you who live in LA know this crazy road.) 1998 founded my new love, a 1996 Monte Carlo Z34 (vrroooom! 3.4L DOHC 220HP... that car is great), I picked up for $11,800 at the local dealership with 28,000 miles on it. June 2001... Was currently in College (Commuting to West Hills from Palmdale ~50miles one way) and was looking for an economical car. (But something with flair...)
Stopped in the dealership because my parents said they had seen this Hyundai that looked pretty nice and got good gas mileage (31mpg hwy).

I drove down to the dealership to check it out.... first impressions... *bleh* I didn't like it. I thought it's rear was too short and it looked small. (Ok, I'm 6'3" 230Lb, going from a mid size car to a compact sports car... big change for me.) I said, "No, I don't want a Hyundai. They are cheap cars." So I left the dealership.

A week later... I go back, with my dad and actually take a look at it. At this point I'm still skeptical, but I'm willing to take a look inside, sit inside it.... and yes, go for a test drive. So I get inside... and I was rather impressed at the way the inside looks. I hadn't seen another car that was designed in such a fashion, I really liked it. So I agreed to go on a test drive... and the sales guy knew EXACTLY how to play me. After peeling out from the dealership and running down the street, we came to a corner where about 150 feet to the right is a slight down curve onto another street. He tells me to floor it and not let go of the gas through the turn. I look at him and say "Are you sure???" He says to go ahead and do it, so I peel out from the stop, chirp 2nd gear, hit about 60 mph and accelerating and bust through the curve with no hickup. At that point, I fell in love. I said, "Ok, I want this car." Went back to the dealership and signed the papers for my 2001 White Hyundai Tiburon 5spd with Package 4 (everything but ABS and sunroof, which I wish I had a sunroof so badly now) for $16,900 with extended 75k bumper to bumper warranty.

So I said I'd just use this for a commuting car for a couple years until I finish College then get a bigger car again... but for some reason it stuck with me after I finished college. I got Rear Ended... twice... so I ended up with about $1700 in insurance money. I had already purchased Lowering Springs and RS Limited Mase White 17" Rims for my car not long after I met everyone in TeamSR. TSR then sold me a Cuda C1 Kit and Carbon Fiber Rear Lights for $1,100. Got it installed by a local guy (which initially did an awesome job on my car.) And then the Cuda Curse kicked in. got into a front end accident... got the car fixed again... got a crappy replica Cuda kit from TSR... but I still have the car. Had another incident recently... but I'll leave that for another day. BlackTibs hooked up my car big time with haloz and shizzznits. We gotta get together again Bro...

(Ok... I'm writing this while at work... I'm bored. At my new job working for Los Angeles County.)
Old 02-15-2005 | 04:50 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

once i turned 16, i worked 3 jobs all summer and was driving a REALLY old rusty 1987 toyota minivan (one of the ones that looks like the mystery machine, front end that goes straight down like a bus. LOL)
anyways..i worked 3 (minimum wage) jobs and sold my computer and had about $2800 saved. my grandma and parents gave me $500 as a contribution, and i was looking at eclipse's on autotrader, my step-dad agreed to drive to virginia (from wisconsin) to go get me a 97 eclipse gsx.
after two days of driving, we got to the place and the guy had sold the eclipse. (what a bastard) and there was another eclipse but he wouldn't budge on the price, then i saw the tib sitting in the shop and asked how much for it. he said he had JUST got it in today and not even looked at it yet. we offered him $3000 straight up and he accepted it. the other couple hundred were spent in gas/food getting there.
paid for nearly all myself.
all you guys who worked for your tibs like me, go us..but you can't hate the ones who didn't. if you were in their situation, you're not going to say "no dad, i don't want that car i want to earn my own." LOL.
im a senior now and have one of the nicest cars, EVERYONE thinks it's worth at least $10gs, haha. people don't believe me when i say i bought it myself.