Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

How'd You Get Your Car?

Old 02-14-2005 | 02:04 PM

my parents actualy bought my car, i wasn't going to get one but my mom happened to loose her driving abilities (safest way to say that i guess)...and i needed a way to get around to work/practice and other school activities...my dad couldn't do it since he had to work so he got me the tibby (after driving aroudn my sister's 97 cavy/his 92 cutlass)...i was really looking for a 92-95 civic hatch (my goals for a car were 2-dr, hatchback, 5 spd) came across this car and at first i didn't like it that much, but it's really grown on me.

**** everyone who thinks just because your parents bought your car makes you spoiled, i've asked my dad on several occations if he wanted me to buy the car from him and he's said no...as for all modifications (and major repairs...i guess that's at about $700), i've paid for that..except for my speakers which were a christmas present
Old 02-14-2005 | 02:16 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I agree Kay, it doesn't automatically make you spoiled. There's a girl at my school who's parents offered to buy her an Evo or a 97 Supra or Infiniti G35 (asian of course....lol), she got a free Evo, wrecked it in 3 months, got replacement G35. Personally I woulda started off w/ the Supra, duh...

anyways, she a very responsible girl, (and if she had to) she could live responsibly on her own. My point is, parents do things differently. I think if your a parent and you can afford to shower your kids with gifts, go right ahead....especially if it makes you feel good to see them happy. But if your kid becomes accustomed to these gifts and expects them then it's time to change your way of doing things.

I was raised by "do it on your own, every man for himself method" which sucks balls! All the other kids in highschool got like 50-100 dollars for every A they made, I got straight A's (just below 4.0 GPA) and got didly-squat. Sometimes I gotta "good job" but my parents became "accustomed" to me getting good grades and thought of it as normal. Sucked because if I got a B it was like failing or something!!! 02.gif So if your parents bought you your own car, good...enjoy it! Just don't flaunt it like it's "your baby" and always remember that there's other kids out there that work their butts off to get to where you are.
Old 02-14-2005 | 02:33 PM

Very well said. I had the same thing. Graduated high school with a 3.87 GPA, and never got more than a good job. Since then I have realized that it is worthless.
I agree especially with the don't flaunt it. I have a buddy who's parents bought him a Passat. He drives it with wreckless abandon and makes sure to show it off as much as he can. As far as I am concerned, he could drive a Ferarri and my Tib would still be better because it is MINE. I worked for it, and MY name is on the title and all of the payment stubs.
Old 02-14-2005 | 02:45 PM

I let my brother take over my 98 civic that I was currently making payments on.

Then I took out a loan and bought my 2k Tib for $8750.

Had 50k miles on it, and was super clean.

Had it two years now.

I'm kind've beginning to entertain the thought of getting something else, but I don't have the cash flow right now, nor could I trade my tib in or sell it for any positive value.
Old 02-14-2005 | 02:54 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Subaru WRX

I went with a friend to a Ford dealership... she was making payments on her POS explorer.. and one of the salesmen came up to me and asked if I wanted anything. I told him, without hessitation (spelling?) "what would I want with a domestic piece of crap?" heh I think he got a bit offended, and said, "well what rice burning pos would you want then?" I told him I "wanted a dog burning hyundai tiburon, prefferably a 2000 - 2001 model"! He smiled really big and said, "well sir you are in luck! we just got one back from having the windows tinted!" I turned around, and there she was....love at first sight!! laugh.gif: love.gif

I then talked the dealer down $4000 deal.gif from 14 to 10! blue book at the time was 12! cool.gif
Old 02-14-2005 | 03:32 PM

QUOTE (Patreezy)
I was raised by "do it on your own, every man for himself method" which sucks balls! All the other kids in highschool got like 50-100 dollars for every A they made, I got straight A's (just below 4.0 GPA) and got didly-squat. Sometimes I gotta "good job" but my parents became "accustomed" to me getting good grades and thought of it as normal. Sucked because if I got a B it was like failing or something!!! 02.gif So if your parents bought you your own car, good...enjoy it! Just don't flaunt it like it's "your baby" and always remember that there's other kids out there that work their butts off to get to where you are.

im in the same boat right now...ive gotten straight A's all my life and its expected...if i get a B im failing and many bad things happen (ill just say that)..and if i get a C..well then i dont have a home anymore lol

theres this type of high school (collegiate high school)where i live that is on the community colleges campus and you have to take a test to get in (i should have failed it but at the time i didnt know that it wasnt my choice to attend)...but ya i passed and after i did my choices were irrelevant, and now im going to a school with about 70 students in each grade and they are all...umm...well ya know, all those kids you thought were geeks..oh yes i remember now since i refer to my school like this all the time...losers
had to quit the soccer team 02.gif
but ill probably be grateful in the future b/c when i graduate from 12th i get my AA degree smile.gif

QUOTE (Hobgoblin)
I went with a friend to a Ford dealership... she was making payments on her POS explorer.. and one of the salesmen came up to me and asked if I wanted anything. I told him, without hessitation (spelling?) "what would I want with a domestic piece of crap?" heh I think he got a bit offended, and said, "well what rice burning pos would you want then?" I told him I "wanted a dog burning hyundai tiburon, prefferably a 2000 - 2001 model"! He smiled really big and said, "well sir you are in luck! we just got one back from having the windows tinted!" I turned around, and there she was....love at first sight!! laugh.gif: :love:

I then talked the dealer down $4000 deal.gif from 14 to 10! blue book at the time was 12!

hahahaha
Old 02-15-2005 | 09:27 AM

My parents bought my Dart for me when I was highschool. They were real big on me paying my own way and getting a job, but we lived in the sticks so they had to buy me a car so I could get a job.

Bought my Tib last summer for $9800. Had to have my Dad co-sign but I laid down all the cash. Searched all day for a car with no luck, was about to buy a pink Lincoln Continetal. I saw my baby at the last car lot before we were going to go back to buy the Lincoln. Love at first sight with my little Tib. laugh.gif:
Old 02-15-2005 | 09:31 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

QUOTE (shark2)
theres this type of high school (collegiate high school)where i live that is on the community colleges campus and you have to take a test to get in (i should have failed it but at the time i didnt know that it wasnt my choice to attend)...but ya i passed and after i did my choices were irrelevant, and now im going to a school with about 70 students in each grade and they are all...umm...well ya know, all those kids you thought were geeks..oh yes i remember now since i refer to my school like this all the time...losers
had to quit the soccer team 02.gif
but ill probably be grateful in the future b/c when i graduate from 12th i get my AA degree smile.gif

Wow, we really ARE in the same boat.

Here in Washington State (Conn. too) there's a program where you can go to a local comm. college and earn college credits while earning high school credits (but only take classes at the college) School District pays for tuition (sweet) just gotta pay for books and fees. I too will have my AA Degree and Diploma this Spring. Makes a 4-year degree attainable in 3 years or maybe even 2! It's a sweet deal.

Haha, I know what ya mean, we get a 'C' and become officially disowned, lol. They're like "<GASP> WTF is this! A C!!!!!! What are you....? AVERAGE??!!?? Get outta my house!" lol, oh man....I can see it now.........smile.gif
Old 02-15-2005 | 10:21 AM

I did it the other way around. I was in Advanced Placement in a couple of my classes when in HS and I was able to go to the local college when school was over for the day and take ONE class a semester extra...
Old 02-15-2005 | 11:04 AM

Damn you KayDm.. That was my line .. Sniff..

Well it all started when my cougar died .. And i don't mean an older lady that hangs out at young aged bars picking up Young me... *Shivers ..

I went to the hyundai Dealership to look at a Sc2 saturn i though they were cool.. and the car was dirt cheap.. then my dad saw a 2003 mustang and made me test drive it .. eyeroll.gif We were dissapointed when we couldn't get it to squeel well on the highway. So then he saw the tiburon and was like what about that? I then instatantly liked it and bought it on the spot. Paid 10500 Can.. i almost got a tuscani .. <GAsp> LOL ..

My story..