Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

How Policies Begin

Old 10-09-2005, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2015 Subaru WRX

Ok, so,
You start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all the other monkeys with cold water. After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result - all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.
Now put away the water.
Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.
Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm!
Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, the a fourth and a fifth. every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked. Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.
After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana. Why not?
Because as far as they are know that's the way it's been done around here.

And that, my fellow monkey, is how (Air Force) Policy begins!
Old 10-09-2005, 09:22 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Thats pretty interesing.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:17 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

no no no thats MWR way damit

hob you hit that one the mark.... the dac are asshole here
Old 10-09-2005, 10:36 AM

Yeah don't exclude the Army, and I'm pretty sure the navy and marines aren't far off either.

What's funny is that exact experiment has actually been done. And, similarly continues to be performed situationally all the time, by humans, with no one performing an experiment.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:14 AM

This, for some reason, reminds of Full Metal Jacket when the Sgt. punished everyone else for the fat guy hiding a donut in his locker.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:59 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

that's the way it is in the military. they love mass punishment.
although, i have to admit that i do that too. if one of my soldiers messes up, i punish all the junior enlisted. it just helps them to police each other up and ensure that they look after each other to make sure they're all doing the right thing.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:39 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

QUOTE (Hobgoblin @ Oct 9 2005, 02:07 AM)
Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.
Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm!

Yeah well that first new monkey is a pussy with no back bone. When that 3rd new monkey came in he should have the stones to help the 2nd and 3rd new monkeys to get that banana. They now outnumbered the monkeys that were sprayed.

Same thing as the age old jumping off a bridge analogy. You gotta think for yourself.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:09 PM

Hob,

I'm pretty sure the information you have divuldged was GS-14 Classifed, Secret Squirrel SCI required. For all of you that now know the how the military writes its policies and doctrines, please post your home address and a time you will be available at the house so that we may pay you a visit.

Yours Truely,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ex-Joint Terminal Airstrike Controller
Old 10-09-2005, 11:56 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Subaru WRX

Well its a good thing that I have that kind of clearance! heh fing02.gif

I think it was recently declassified though... I got it from my Production Super, kind of scary, eh?
Old 10-10-2005, 12:01 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

classified anecdotes, lmao.gif

nice post.