Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

How do I rescind a job offer?

Old 07-23-2013 | 12:00 PM
UKS

Vehicle: 2004 Sonata
Default How do I rescind a job offer?

My company announced a couple of months ago that there would be lay offs and my department would get hit the hardest. I updated my resume right away since I knew what was coming. I interviewed at a bunch of places and Friday I received an offer from one company which I happily accepted. Today I met with another company and they gave me an offer on the spot that's $14,000 more a year than the other offer. Also, I can start right after my current job lays us off next week where as the other offer wouldnt have me start until the middle of August. I wish I never accepted the offer on Friday but who in the world would have figured that I would've gotten an offer from someone else with so much more money?

So now I need a good excuse to tell the company from Friday why I have to take back my offer. I feel like if I tell them the company I met with today is offering me a better pay, that will seem kind of unprofessional and as if I'm burning a bridge. The company I did meet with on Friday did know that I was meeting with the company today so it wasnt some big secret. And yeah I was stupid for saying yes to them when I should have waited to see what the company today was going to do. So what do I tell them?
Old 07-23-2013 | 01:49 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Old 07-23-2013 | 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

WHS^^

They might admire your honesty and offer to match that rate if you are valuable enough, or beat it. Or just tell you good luck on your new endevours. Unless you signed a contract, you have no obligation to work there. They should be happy for you getting such a great deal. If they aren't.....do you really want to work for them?
Old 07-23-2013 | 02:56 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Just say that you thank them for the opportunity but the offer you received at XXXXX was too good to pass up. They may try to match it, but probably can't close a $6.73/hour gap.
Old 07-24-2013 | 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ this
Old 07-24-2013 | 07:08 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

yup. honesty > *

who knows, you may find yourself applying for a position at this company 3-5 years from now. Don't burn your bridges, they obviously like you