Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Home Stereo System

Old 04-16-2006 | 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well I'll go with tdonnell on this. pick up a nice receiver. mine's a onkyo 5.1. then your speakers and you can upgrade from there. My receiver probably isn't the greatest but it got good reviews and I got it for something like 200 or 250 I think. then I picked up a cheap set of speakers to start out with (like $50 on sale).
Old 04-16-2006 | 07:02 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

^^^There you go man! That is what I am talking about. Onkyo isn't a bad brand at all. This is totally the way redz should go.
Old 04-16-2006 | 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I was wondering about them, I've seen several kits of theirs with everything that are decently priced.

There is a VERY VERY nice Samsung model at Sams Club, with wireless rears, but it's a DVD player and doesn't have enough inputs/outputs.

So, where should I look at for a decent setup through them?
Old 04-17-2006 | 08:37 AM

Through who?
Old 04-17-2006 | 08:37 AM

QUOTE (Supercow @ Apr 16 2006, 06:55 PM)
mine's a onkyo 5.1. then your speakers and you can upgrade from there.

QUOTE (tdonnell @ Apr 16 2006, 07:02 PM)
Onkyo isn't a bad brand at all. This is totally the way redz should go.

That one.
Old 04-17-2006 | 10:30 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

bought mine off newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16882120046

there's the one, it's out of stock now though.

edit: hehe, actually right now it's only on 2.1 cause I haven't had enough time to run the wires through the floor to the back of the room.
Old 04-17-2006 | 11:26 AM

Hence why i want the wireless ones.
Old 04-17-2006 | 12:24 PM

Yeah, wireless would be good for that reason. But I also think that you would get feedback from phones and such through the speakers if you went that way.

I dunno if you would want that reciever redz because there are no s-video, or component video inputs. And there is only 1 optical input. If it suits your needs then go for it, but if you wanted inputs/outputs like you described you should look into something else (that will more than likely be a higher price).

I think that my suggestion might end up costing you more than you want to spend. I suppose it comes down to sacrifice: either you pay less and get less, or pay more and get more, it is up to you.

Are you interested in building it over time like we have suggested or do you want to stick with your 600 limit?
Old 04-17-2006 | 03:07 PM

Your not going to find any Recievers that have a several inputs for HDMI/DVI for under 600 bux. Your best bet is to plug it all into the TV. Just get a TV with Two HDMI inputs. I think that's the most your going to find right now anyways.

You can find all kinds of Pioneer, Kenwood, Onkyo, etc Recievers with lots of good stuff for under 300 dollars. Stay away from Sony Recievers. They have terrible THD, noise, etc.

The speakers I'm using right now are Polk Audio R30s for now. They sound awesome for being $90.00 for the pair. If you wanted, get 2 pairs, for the front and rears, then pick up a Center Channel for like $100-$150 bux. That might take you over the $600.00 limit once you add in a Subwoofer, but it will sound nice. I actually don't even use a Sub with my R30s, cause they have really nice base. But if you want the extra Boom, something like a KLH 10" or 12" 150 watt powered subwoofer from Costco works great. They are only $100.00.

Here's a nice Reciever, with more inputs that you can swing a stick at, XM ready, iPOD Ready, etc:
Yamaha HTR-5960 7.1ch Surround
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR5960.htm#

Ebay: ~$340 after shipping.
Black:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-YAMAHA-HTR-5860-7-...1QQcmdZViewItem
Silver:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-YAMAHA-HTR-5860-7-...1QQcmdZViewItem

I have bought stuff from this guy before, he's a reliable source.

Or there is the Model 6.1 Surround, same as above without iPOD.
HTR-5940 6.1 Surround ~285.00 after shipping.
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR5940.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2006-YAMAHA-HTR-59...1QQcmdZViewItem

My Polk R30s, I bought when they went on sale at Fry's Electronics. They go on sale every so often for a good price. Looks like if you get them now, they are around $160/pair. ; ; But look around. They are GREAT speakers. Floor standing speakers. Next Step up is the R50s, a little bigger, more sound, also sound great... cost twice as much. Other people might have to give you better input as far as speakers are concerned.

I could look up more stuff, but here are some ideas for now. I'm thinking about 300 bux for the reciever, another 200-300 bux for the speakers and another 100-200 for the sub, might a more realistic view at a good surround system. (about $700-800 bux for a 6.1 or 7.1 system.)
Old 04-17-2006 | 04:47 PM

Now THIS is more like it.

QUOTE (tdonnell @ Apr 17 2006, 12:24 PM)
Yeah, wireless would be good for that reason. But I also think that you would get feedback from phones and such through the speakers if you went that way.

Ehh, some, in the 2.4 spectrum, but I don't live in a really dense area anymore. There's only probably 30 other homes within 500 yards of mine, and I don't have anything that's 2.4GHZ in the house.

I dunno if you would want that reciever redz because there are no s-video, or component video inputs.

Yeah, I noticed.

And there is only 1 optical input. If it suits your needs then go for it, but if you wanted inputs/outputs like you described you should look into something else (that will more than likely be a higher price).

Actually, we can figure this out real quick I guess.

I need one high def input for the Xbox 360. Composite is where it is now, and the 360 cables have a switch for HD signal, so I don't know if I need a higher order than the Composite. Since I'm using that for my DVD player, I'm not worried about another one for that.

I need one Composite input for the Comcast DVR, but once I get the DLP or Flatscreen, I will be getting a HD DVR from Comcast. I'm not sure if it runs Composite cables or HDMI. Anyone here know?

I need one set of RCA or maybe composite for the VCR. Yeah, I know, but how else to record the shows you want to take to school and such? Anyways, for now, I need one for that, maybe later this year I'll get a DVD recorder, so keep that in mind.

I need either a XM input or a XM ready one, I'd prefer not to have to get another XM subscription, but if I have to, I will.

I'd prefer 5.1 as I've heard 6.1 and 7.1 and the difference is just about NIL for me.

Rear speakers, I WANT wireless ones. LOL damnit.

Subwoofer, a 10 or 8 in a decent powered box would work fine. I think that's what my current system has.

Are you interested in building it over time like we have suggested or do you want to stick with your 600 limit?

I'd PREFER to get a boxed unit with everything I need in it. I wouldn't mind doing them one at a time, it's not an emergency must have item, but I want it done soon. Above 600, if I build it over a few months, is fine.

QUOTE (Spiffywerks @ Apr 17 2006, 03:07 PM)
You can find all kinds of Pioneer, Kenwood, Onkyo, etc Recievers with lots of good stuff for under 300 dollars. Stay away from Sony Recievers. They have terrible THD, noise, etc.

I HATE Sony.

The speakers I'm using right now are Polk Audio R30s for now. They sound awesome for being $90.00 for the pair. If you wanted, get 2 pairs, for the front and rears, then pick up a Center Channel for like $100-$150 bux.

Got a place I can check them out? I know that's a good name brand.

That might take you over the $600.00 limit once you add in a Subwoofer, but it will sound nice.

Hell, I'll give it a shot. Is there a more current version I should be looking for?

I actually don't even use a Sub with my R30s, cause they have really nice base. But if you want the extra Boom, something like a KLH 10" or 12" 150 watt powered subwoofer from Costco works great. They are only $100.00.

Somewhere from a 8 to 10 inch powered sub will work great. Yes, I like to get kicked out of my couch by the bass if at all possible. I love realistic explosions in movies and such. Not to mention, The Crystal Method hits some real awesome bass lines.

Here's a nice Reciever, with more inputs that you can swing a stick at, XM ready, iPOD Ready, etc:
Yamaha HTR-5960 7.1ch Surround

Can you hook it up as 5.1? Any way to run that reciever wirelessly? Like the front speakers would be wired and it sends the signal to a wireless box to go to the rear speakers? I'm renting a house and don't want to nail stuff in or pull up the carpet.

7.1 is just too much speaker.

I THINK that's the same one I saw at Best Buy, it kicks ass but was like 500 over there. They said it also UP Converts the signals to Composite.

Ebay: ~$340 after shipping.

Hmm, I could get that and a set of the speaks. Then the sub and other speaks next month...

Or there is the Model 6.1 Surround, same as above without iPOD.

I'd like the Ipod capable just incase I get another one.

My Polk R30s, I bought when they went on sale at Fry's Electronics. They go on sale every so often for a good price.

Checkin out Froogle and Ebay now.

I could look up more stuff, but here are some ideas for now. I'm thinking about 300 bux for the reciever, another 200-300 bux for the speakers and another 100-200 for the sub, might a more realistic view at a good surround system. (about $700-800 bux for a 6.1 or 7.1 system.)

Sounds good to me mang. Let me know if you find anything about wireless. I'm wanting to go that route, even if there is a 2 part system I can use to adapt this other stuff.

You know, those LOOK good, but sorta out of the range of the "design" of our living room. We are looking more for something mountable on the wall, or on a nice metal stand. Those are more like wooden towers.