Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Higher Education Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Graduated from University of New Mexico in May with my Bachelors of Science in Geographic Information Sciences and a Minor in Military and Southwestern History.

Got an excellent job working for the Bureau of Land Management (Department of the Interior), and am not going back for my masters. In 2 years, I'll be a GS11, which is the level they would hire me at if I got my masters, so it's kind of a waste for me. I also get to buy my military time back and retire at 57 with 39 years of Federal Service.

I'm a happy man.

I started on a Mechanical Engineering degree, but the math was WAYYY to much for me at my age, completely uninteresting because of it. I loved the mechanics of materials and tool design classes, but the math... Just too much. So now I am the office geographer in charge of data for about 1.3 million acres of New Mexico public lands, I do cartography (making maps), GPS work, analysis and modeling of spatial information. I really love my job.

Masters in Music eh? Bad ass!
Old 09-12-2009, 07:26 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Sep 12 2009, 05:19 PM)
^ i know!! that is such a problem. having gone through school, i always disliked teachers. never ever ever want to teach. and it looks like that's the only thing you can do with a music or fine arts degree sad.gif

you don't say!!!!!! Bachelors? from where? that's one thing i'm scared of, is investing all this money and get nothing in return.

St.Clair College, Windsor Ontario. 5-6 years ago Ford built "The Ford Center" which was an entire wing dedicated for engineering students and our curriculum was chosen for the Ontario Society of Mechanical Engineers over the one for the University we have here. The problem is not the school. Im competing with people who have 10+ years experience whom were laid off. No one wants to hire someone without any prior experience and I cant get any experience if no one hires me. Also this city is currently the city with highest unemployment in Canada. FML.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:02 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

Arizona State University going for French with an Art History minor, thinking of adding hospitality and tourism
Old 09-13-2009, 07:05 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Tiburon

I am almost done with school, I will graduate in May 2010 with a Graphic Design Degree smile.gif