Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

help me fix the computer.

Old 10-21-2004 | 11:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: help me fix the computer.

QUOTE (blu_drgn)
i did it in safe mode first, didnt fix it so i proceeded to do it with every mode and still nuthin' so... i'm screwed.

hehe, well in safe mode do a scan, check and turn off stuff from startup through start>run> type in msconfig > startup tab (just disable everything for testing)
Old 10-21-2004 | 11:21 PM

From: Lillington, NC & Maryville, TN when I can get there
Default Re: help me fix the computer.

it wont even get past the loading screen to touch the start menu
Old 10-22-2004 | 09:47 AM

Default Re: Interior Paint Ideas *hijacked remix*

QUOTE (blu_drgn)
it wont even get past the loading screen to touch the start menu

it won't load in safe mode?
Old 10-24-2004 | 09:11 PM

From: Lillington, NC & Maryville, TN when I can get there
Default factory defects

in ANY mode!
Old 10-25-2004 | 08:56 AM

Default Re: Timing Belt

QUOTE (blu_drgn)
in ANY mode!

time for a repair install for just a complete format reinstall. 02.gif
Old 10-25-2004 | 09:44 AM

Default Re: Need network help!!

Ok since the topic of this thread is help me fix the computer......

I tried installing a WD hdd yesterday.....per the inculded instructions, worked fine, setup as an extra storage device.....

so then i go into the setup on the included CD-Rom to partition it for use w/ XP pro, so i can work from home.

#1.) Somehow I cant partition my Samsung OEM hdd (which was part of the reason I got the WD, the other was for just some extra storage, plus the price was nice $29.99 after rebates, not bad for a 80gig 7200rpm drive)......tried thru computer/disk management, tried thru the command prompt....wont work. It looks like the OEM is set up as ONE partition w/ no unassigned free space.....How can I set aside some free spcae to partition my OEM drive?

#2.) My floppy drive (which was also installed yesterday) is a multi-function drive.....the memory card portion of it is recognized, the floppy is not. memory card is going thru an internal USB connection, the floppy is of course hooked into the FDD1 connector on my MB. I've unisntalled and reinstalled the drivers 3 times, still no floppy.

#3.) heres the real problem...........When my WD hdd is hooked into the system, no matter what the jumpers are set at, I get an "Error Loading OS" message.....is there anyway i can reformat it w/ out being able to get into windows? and obviously w/o out a floppy to boot from.....the setup/troubleshooting utility from WD will ONLY allow me to use a floppy for the DOS based program.

I can get into XP home (my OEM OS) ONLY when the WD hdd is not anywhere on the system......that includes going thru my Ultra ATA PCI controller card. I've even been to the WD knowlegde base, and couldn't find anything out from there, at least nothing w/o using a floppy.

Please help me out guys.

I can post the hardware specs later tonight, if you need them, or think theres a hardware conflict (which I don't believe to be the case) before I take it apart to redo and sleeve the wiring and install a couple more fans......its a mess.
Old 10-25-2004 | 06:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: suspension

Okay, this is my sugestion on what to do from the info you supplied:

1) Work on the Floppy first. This will be usefull for booting to dos to fdisk and format the drives.
Check to make sure the ribbon cable is connected correctly. Make sure the red stripe is located at pin 1 on the motherboard and also on pin 1 of the floppy drive. If this is not correct, the drive is useless.
Make sure the power cable is hooked up to the drive (sometimes overlooked). When you start the computer check the indicator light... what does it do? Does it come on and go off (normal)? Does it come on and stay on (has power, but not connected correctly to mb)? Is there no light (no power)?
If the light comes on and goes off (initializes) go into the bios and make sure that it is set for a 1.44 floppy in the bios (if not, it will not be recognized).

2) For the HD's... Make sure the Origional hard drive is set to slave/master (however you want it to be set up) and NOT set for cable select. Set the WD to master/slave (opposite to the origional) and NOT set for cable select. If all is well, it should boot with the WD HD. Refer to 1) for the ribbon connection.

Try this and reply back...
Old 10-25-2004 | 10:35 PM

Default Re: Best bodykit for RD1

1 additional question, are you trying to keep your original install of xp intact?

oh and btw, fdisk is useless if he plans to use ntfs(much better than fat32)...
Old 10-25-2004 | 10:39 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: CAI = No Sound

I didnt get to the 'if he wanted to keep the origional files' part yet... I figured he had enough to cover. I just want to make sure he can boot with the slave and master.

I hear you on the NTFS... but you can partition in fat 32 at that point and then convert the partitions to NTFS later... I guess this is kind of a waste since you can use mircosofts hard drive management utility. I just thought he was saying he was having a problem with that. Re-reading, he was trying to re-partition the OEM (which you can not do without wiping everything off that hard drive) since it uses 1 partition.
Old 10-26-2004 | 12:37 AM

Default Re: gas mileage?

QUOTE (Casper)
I didnt get to the 'if he wanted to keep the origional files' part yet... I figured he had enough to cover. I just want to make sure he can boot with the slave and master.

I hear you on the NTFS... but you can partition in fat 32 at that point and then convert the partitions to NTFS later... I guess this is kind of a waste since you can use mircosofts hard drive management utility. I just thought he was saying he was having a problem with that. Re-reading, he was trying to re-partition the OEM (which you can not do without wiping everything off that hard drive) since it uses 1 partition.

hehe it's all good, I hate trying to solve pc problems on forums, it's soo much better to be there.

so any news yet tibwrcsbj? btw whats the sbj in your name for?? just your initials?