Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Hello my name is David, and I was born yesterday

Old 08-24-2010, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

that is hilarious!!! what people will try to get a little cash...

dude the guy can't write for sh:::::t.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

and cow im 99% sure dtn understands whats going on

he has a very weird way of presenting sarcasm
Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I know he's a little weird but usually I follow what he's saying... laugh.gif
Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I really didn't. It sounded legit until the dudes vehicle changed. I would have suggested he contact the towing company as they would be the appropriate point of contact. You don't call the mechanic to pick up a broken car that needs towing, you call the tow truck. Also you would not drag it across a country to have a minor repair done by a local shop. There are a lot of fishy clues but I did not understand the end result.

Working as a technical service provider to non technical people, I sort through bullshit all day in my job. People are always trying to get something put off on someone else or get something that they are not entitled to. Slot of the time it is that they do not understand what the problem is or the easiest solution.

In the customer service which I perform, for the government's employees, if I get a call that sounds fishy, I correct the misinformation and drive on. I don't make it my business to find out why its wrong, it's just wrong and erroneous so therefore invalid.

I also don't deal with "real" money. I find a special wrench which I need that costs $5, so I spend 1/2 hour writing up a part request , submit it, then inventory the part when it comes in. At a theoretical $62 per hour (including operation costs of electricity, phone, Internet, my paycheck and not even considering the person who ordered the wrench's pay) that's a $67 wrench.

So yeah... I didn't understand it, just like you didn't understand how a toilet seat could cost the government $150 if it took someone to report, order and install it. Just sayin... We all have our areas of concern.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:02 PM

ok we will use your example

you find a special wrench at a location youve never purchased anything from

you tell them youll send them 3500 bux to buy your $5 wrench but only if they send you back $3495 via western union right away....

and why would i have to send it western union anyways? if i have a credit card number AND agreed to do this

why not just pay them with the credit card?

if he already has had contact with the shipping company (he said he is having the vehicle towed...) why wouldnt he call over the phone and pay them with his credit card?

and why in the world would you tow a car from colorado to a shop in north dakota that you have no ties too...
Old 08-24-2010, 10:25 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

That would never happen. There's people who's job it is to sit around and count beans all day long. It does not make sense in any way shape or form to do the requested action. Also we operate on a don't call us we'll call you policy. You will never be able to call a government facility and sell services over the phone.

I understood all of that. I just didn't understand that he would want you to mail the money to him. I was looking more at, how is he going to get a hold of that car if it's nowhere near him.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:01 AM

How many company's have you ever sent money to via western union....There's no addresses given just a name and a general location to send it to.

It's like me sending money to one of your local grocers care of dtn

Hell most places will cash the western union check right then and there
Old 08-25-2010, 08:35 AM

LOL he replied

Okay the vehicle is in colorado and i want you expect it by next week thursday and so can i reply with the tow company information and the credit card details so you can charge my credit card today and send the remaining funds to the tow company so they can bring the vehicle in time
Old 08-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

set up a meeting date/time and have the cops meet them?
Old 08-25-2010, 06:54 PM

the address he wants to give me to "wire" the money to is in colorado

hell most scam artists will never actually give any of their info out short of a email address