Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Hd Tv

Old 01-22-2008 | 11:31 AM

Get a Sharp Aquos.
Old 01-22-2008 | 11:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

My Samsung was half the price of the Aquos for about the same size and there was no real picture difference to justify it. They are very nice tvs, just expensive. And its easy to like one a little better in the store where they place them next to eachother and could really mess with the signal however they wanted but in your house you really wont notice that its a very tiny bit less clarity or brightness or whatever.
Old 01-22-2008 | 02:09 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I was playing my 360 last night for about an hour or so.

When I shut it off I could see a faint outline of the health/ weapon stats in the corner.

It went away after a while but I was a little worried. So if you play ALOT don't get a plasma lol.

I read somewhere if you have the brightness turned down it helps keep it from burning in.
Old 01-22-2008 | 02:39 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ That does not matter. That is not burn in and should not be confused with burn-in. That's the phosphor inside each individual cell still radiating light. It's nothing to be concerned about. It would take a week before you burned in the image.
Old 01-22-2008 | 02:56 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Wow -- sorry for the late response. I'm at work now, and will be busy tonight, but I'll get back to this thread later. I'll address RED Z's post since it was the most concise and easiest for me to give a quick response:

QUOTE (RED ZMAN @ Jan 21 2008, 01:34 AM)
1. LCD or Plasma? I've heard that newer plasma's don't have burn in problems anymore, I DO play a lot of xbox Live.
I personally don't have a video game system, nor have ever used one on an HD TV. I would look at DTN's post, as I've been TOLD the same thing.
2. Do Plasma TV's have problems at certain elevations? (ABQ ranges from 5000 to about 7000 feet)
I haven't read/heard anything about elevation having anything to do with picture quality, whether LCD or plasma
3. Brands? A neighbor has a 37 inch Vizio, and loves it.
For the price, I like LG and Samsung LCDs. For plasma, Philips and Sony Bravia are my favorites, but I haven't compared prices on Plasmas.
4. Size? I'm looking at getting at LEAST a 37 inch, but up to a 50 TOPS. I'd prefer something 40 to 42 inches I think.
It depends on the size of the room and the distance you'll be sitting away from the TV. I have a 40" LCD, and I sit on average 8-9 feet away. It's big enough, not too big. I sit about 17-20 feet away (i'll measure tonight) when eating at our breakfast table. I can still see the picture perfectly, but I'd go 47" if I was sitting that far away all the time. It looks MUCH bigger in your family room than it does when it's sitting on a wall filled with them, especially if they have it next to a nice 60".
5. I'm a Costco member. Should I go there, or buy one online?
I would research the TVs online. I would look at Best Buy and Circuit City for the current TV models (go in person, and see what you like), then research it online for reviews (Check CNET.com). Also check CNet for prices, and see what TigerDirect is offering - I've heard good things about them but have no personal experience. I would also HEAVILY consider buying from Best Buy, Circuit City, or something similar only because they will MATCH anyone's advertised price (including Circuit City's online sales). I personally like having the option of returning it to an actual store if something goes wrong, rather than dealing with an online retailer, such as tigerDirect.

To answer your question: See if Costco will do price matching. I don't go to Costco, so I can't be sure, but I would 'assume' they have lower prices but also lower quality TVs. Check the brightness ratio (remember, you can't compare LCD brightness to Plasma... they're different). Look at the TVs in person and decide what you like, then research comparable models and pricing. Use CNet as a good resource.

I've heard about Plasmas being very easy to get burned images from video games, mostly since there is usually something at the top or bottom (border, display, etc.) that doesn't change very often. I haven't seen LCDs have this complaint nearly as often. Plasmas are brighter, and seem to have a much better picture with animated graphics (like on games and disney movies) than an LCD. Plasmas usually have a higher refresh rate.

I'll check bac klater... I also have NO current knowledge on HD Projectors whatsoever. Redz - give me room dimensions and distance from normal everyday seating to where the TV would be.

WHEW!!! I almost lost all that... accidently hit the "Back" button on the keyboard and was able to Select All and Copy before it changed pages... keyboard shortcuts FTW!!
Old 01-22-2008 | 10:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (majikTib @ Jan 22 2008, 02:56 PM)
I personally don't have a video game system, nor have ever used one on an HD TV. I would look at DTN's post, as I've been TOLD the same thing.

I thought you finally got a 360?

I haven't read/heard anything about elevation having anything to do with picture quality, whether LCD or plasma

No, that's not the supposed problem, I was told that Plasma's won't work above 6000 Feet, that they just won't operate.

For the price, I like LG and Samsung LCDs. For plasma, Philips and Sony Bravia are my favorites, but I haven't compared prices on Plasmas.

The Sony TV I have now is the last Sony Device I will ever own.

I've also been looking at Cnet, but their reviews are always pretty slanted. I'm keeping my eyes open though everywhere.

I've heard about Plasmas being very easy to get burned images from video games, mostly since there is usually something at the top or bottom (border, display, etc.) that doesn't change very often.

I've heard of this too, but have recently been told that burn-in is on early generations of Plasmas, that newer ones have different coatings that avoid burn-in completely. I have no idea though.

I'll check bac klater... I also have NO current knowledge on HD Projectors whatsoever. Redz - give me room dimensions and distance from normal everyday seating to where the TV would be.

Room dimensions? 14foot 6 inches by 14 feet. Viewing distances of right at 10 feet towards the 14 foot wall.
Old 01-23-2008 | 07:07 AM
Administrator

QUOTE (RED ZMAN @ Jan 22 2008, 11:11 PM)
I thought you finally got a 360?
No - I'm just too busy right now. I work 10 hour days, then studying at night. 8 hour class every Saturday, and studying for the CPA exam (16 hours of testing). I'm holding off til I'm done with all of this excess crap.
The Sony TV I have now is the last Sony Device I will ever own.
I put it at the end of my top 4 for a reason. I hear it's good, but I personally wouldn't buy one. Just not a Sony fan. I should have mentioned Panasonic, they're supposed to be putting out some great Plasma TVs
I've heard of this too, but have recently been told that burn-in is on early generations of Plasmas, that newer ones have different coatings that avoid burn-in completely. I have no idea though.
I've heard the "new generation" plasmas are supposed to be much better, but I've only heard rumors, no test results. They're supposed to last longer than the first plasmas did, not burn out or fade as fast, and not get burned images as easily. But - I haven't seen anyone test this or deep discussion. Buyer Beware.
Room dimensions? 14foot 6 inches by 14 feet. Viewing distances of right at 10 feet towards the 14 foot wall.
I'd say a 37" at least, 40 or 42" optimal, 47" if you just want a big TV. I don't see a need in going 50" or higher - 40 or 47" would probably be great. Not much difference you can tell in 40" vs. 42", but there seems to be a big price jump when you go from 40/42" to the 47", so if money is a big factor, I think you get more bang for the buck with the 42".

Also, plasmas have a glass screen, LCD doesn't, so plasmas will reflect more light (if you have a big window that always has sunlight beaming in on the TV, might not want a plasma). I like LCD vs. Plasma because LCD colors are more "normal" and realistic... plasma just seems TOO colorful and bright (which is good for animated movies and video games, but I like LCDs for sports and normal HD shows.

Does anyone know about the XBox 360 Pro and the PS3? Are they 1080i, 1080p, or 720p? I haven't been able to find the list lately, but there are very few stations that actually broadcast in 1080, so getting a 1080 isn't going to give you much different results than the 720 unless you're watching the channel that has the broadcast (I'm thinking it was one network and one sports, like NBC and ESPN or something).

DLP - I personally can't stand DLPs. They're much cheaper and affordable, but big, bulky, and I hate the fact you have to be dead center to see anything decent on the TV. LCD/Plasma have 178ยบ viewing angles (180ยบ is a straight line) while DLP seems to have a 30-45ยบ viewing angle. My dad has DLP, I hate it.

For altitude related information and Plasmas, this look like a good reference:
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmat...v-altitude.html

NEC is left as the only provider of "high-altitude" plasma TVs and displays though Pioneer now states 7500 feet and Panasonic states 7800 feet for their plasma TVs. NEC has implemented their altitude freindly technology in all of their current plasma displays which are rated to 9180 feet. From my experience with these, they have worked perfectly at altitude with no side effects and no noise complaints.

Altitude has long been a factor affecting the performance of plasma TV. The display elements of plasma units actually consist of rare natural gases (like xenon, neon, and argon), which have been compressed inside hundred of thousands of tiny glass envelopes. Ideally, the pressure these gases are under should match the pressure of the gases (N2 and O2, mostly) outside the walls of those glass envelopes. At sea level or thereabout, these two pressures are more or less equivalent, for this is the atmospheric pressure level at which most plasma televisions have been calibrated. The thinner air at higher elevations causes an air-pressure differential-an imbalance between inner and outer air pressures-and the pressure of the gases inside the plasma display panel (PDP) increases as the outside air pressure decreases. Hence, most Plasma TVs (at least those not specifically designed for use at or above 5500 feet) emit a slight buzzing noise under such conditions. This noise is the result of the PDP's increased power consumption and the corresponding increase in its cooling needs and, hence, its fan usage.

What are the symptoms of "altitude sickness" in plasma display panels operating at or above 6000 feet?

There is very little difference in visible picture quality. The chief high altitude symptom you'll detect will involve your plasma televisions' operational noise levels. Because of the increased pressure on the gases contained in its glass substrate, the unit must work harder to cool this display element. So, if your plasma TV set has fans, the fans will be significantly louder because they're running harder. If your Plasma TV utilizes a convection cooling system (one without fans), then you'll notice something akin to a buzzing sound emanating from its rear panel. Another thing to consider with respect to altitude and plasma TV is longevity: Since PDPs work harder at higher elevations, they will not last as long up high as they do down low.

Also, you might also note the fact that atmospheric pressure seems to differ geographically. We have anecdotal evidence of this bizarre-but-true claim in the form of telephone conversions we have had with plasma TV owners nationwide. The same TVs seem to be affected differently by different altitudes. So, for example, one person reported a considerable noise coming from his TV at 5500 feet, while another person with the same model TV reported hers working just fine at 6500 feet. Air pressure is influenced by variables other than just altitude

If you live above 6500 feet, you might want to visit a local AV store to determine whether or not they have had any problems - and which models are performing best.

LCD and DLP display technogolies do not contain high altitude quirks, so keep them in mind if you need alternatives to plasma.

To backup my previous suggestion, I also found this on that site:
Viewing distance recommendations are approximately 6 to ten feet for screen sizes 32-37". A 42" plasma display may be optimally viewed from 10-14 feet. A 50" plasma display will look best from 12-16 feet, and you should have at least 15 feet to work with when installing a 61" or higher. Ultimately, though, the choice is up to you.

This site gives 8-tips to buying an LCD, and 10-tips to buying a Plasma:
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv.html

Since I've put so much in this one post, you can go there and read for yourself. One page states that technology has advanced for response time, and LCDs don't really have the ghosting/trailing/streaking that they used to. I've had my Samsung 40" LCD for over a year and have no streaking or ghosting AT ALL when watching NFL games live in HD, or baseball games in HD
Old 01-23-2008 | 07:57 AM

To answer the one question you have the PS3 is 1080p, so for a smaller room and just for gaming would a 32" LCD be reasonable?
Old 01-23-2008 | 09:16 AM
Administrator

sure, I don't see why not. When you get under 40" it's hard to find a plasma. There are many more LCDs available.

Keep in mind - the more comparable models there are from more manufacturers, the more price competition comes into play.

i.e., If you have 10 companies pushing a total of 30 different 42" LCDs, competition will push prices down and quality up (hopefully). If you have only 5 companies pushing a total of 10 50" LCDs, then prices will be higher and quality may not differ much from one to the next.
Old 01-23-2008 | 09:37 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

No, that's not the supposed problem, I was told that Plasma's won't work above 6000 Feet, that they just won't operate.

To answer Jeremy, yes you are somewhat correct. I wondered the same when I visited Circuit City in Flagstaff, AZ and there were no plasma screens for sale..

It is due to the pressure differential between the compressed neon and, xenon, argon gases inside each tiny glass envelope and the air outside. Since the pressure outside is less than SL (where it is most often calibrated to operate at), the pressures inside increase with altitude, and above 5500 feet start to emit a slight buzzing sound due to the plasma display panel's increased power usage and the corresponding increase in colling needs, hence, its fan usage.

There is no picture quality difference, primarily just noise of operation increases with altitude (to a somewhat annoying level for movies and stuff..). So if the TV has fans to cool it they will be significantly louder or if it is a convection colling system you'll hear the buzz from the back panel. Since plasma's have to "work" harder at elevation they won't last as long as one at SL.

Nowadays, they make "altitude friendly" plasmas with lowered pressure differentials. NEC is probably the best, Panasonic, and Pioneer follow.

ask your store about them.