Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Having Problem Sleeping Lately?

Old 06-16-2008 | 11:19 PM

Lately, wherever i go, parties, work, home, etc. i'm hearing people around me claiming/complaining that they cant, or have hard time falling asleep. Few people, i'd hear them say that sooner or later, they need to go see their doctor and get prescribed for sleeping pills, and few others, i found out they're relying on Advil, Tylenol or other aspirin medicines in order to fall asleep. So for those and my fellow RDT members, this is my advice to you:

STOP!

now before you reach for that aspirin, or even think about prescribing sleeping pills, try this out;

as a part of my wiccan-based research (NO i'm NOT a Wiccan, i just study their religion) couple years back, i came across something very interesting about our sleeping habits.

As the Season changes every year, so does the magnetic field force of the North Pole and South Pole. In every creature on this planet, there's a sort of magnetic force in all our brains.
Now we all understand that birds migrate South in Fall, for winter-time, and to North in Spring, for summer-time. That is because the birds brains' magnetic force is responding to the change in the North/South Pole affected by the changing of each season.

Now in that similar kind of concept, we, as human beings, are also affected by the change of the seasonal magnetic force, we just don't know it. While researching the wiccan ways, i found out that when season changes, some of us will notice when we go to bed, eventually it becomes harder and harder to fall asleep or stay asleep for long. Here's the solution i discovered, and i'm sharing it with every one of you:

Whatever direction you are used to sleeping (whether the way you sleep with your head toward North, West, East, South, doesn't matter) in the winter-time, put your pillows on the other side of the bed, in the complete opposite direction of N, W, E, S for summer-time. If you have a problem sleeping on the edge of the bed that is not up against the wall, then rearrange your bedroom with the bed in that opposite direction. Give this a try for at least couple of weeks to a month. There's no guarantee, but I swear, it just could work for you.

as soon as i learned of this, I gave it a try couple years ago, and guess what, it WORKED!!! Seriously, that following night i changed the direction of way i usually sleep, it wasn't long before i fell asleep. For 2 or 3 years now, I've been changing my direction of sleep habit every season, and never a night i couldnt sleep when i wanted to. (there was a night or two I didn't sleep at all, but that's because I didn't want to nana.gif) Nowadays, with so many sleeping-pills advertisement such as Lunesta, I suggested to my family, my friends, my co-workers that complained not being able to sleep well, the next day or so, they come back to me, and claimed it worked for them too! I'd say about 3 people, out of so many, that i recommended this change, they were able to fall asleep so easily the first night.

and the best part about trying this out - ITS FREE!!! here's your CONS and PROS

PROS
-you do not have to become reliant on any pills (including aspirin, which can cause problems after prolonged use)
-no need to go visit that doctor, only to possibly find out that you just need to eat well (which you probably have been doing) or do some warm up, etc
-you get to SAVE YOUR MONEY: avoid going to the doctor, getting prescription, or buying aspirin every time you empty that bottle.

CONS
-you might not like the change of your bedroom (but it won't and never hurts to try)
-you might actually get to spend a little bit of your money, for that new pillow wink.gif
Old 06-16-2008 | 11:39 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Interesting. I know there are sometimes I cannot sleep and asked my wife if we could switch sides, shortly after doing so I fell asleep. If that doesn't work I take a Melatonin pill. lol
Old 06-17-2008 | 12:56 AM

lol, that's cool.

also i forgot - everybody, please go ahead, feel free to paste this and email to everybody you know, help them out and save their money, and have them forward it around as well wink1.gif
Old 06-17-2008 | 04:37 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

I have constant insomnia. working roughly 15 years on nightshift does that to you,lol.

I find though if I can just get comfy in my bed I usually pass out, without the aid of pills. I never use pills. when i get a headache, going into a dark room for 15 minutes and a ice pack on my neck usually fixes it.

I Have found on break times at work if i can just lay my head down for ten minutes I feel better later on through the night that if i hadnt. some studies have proven that adults need nap breaks during work hours and even some companies are enforcing them like....lol...GOOGLE.

but in the end really I want a sleep number mattress, them thinges are dabomb. lmao.gif
Old 06-17-2008 | 05:23 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

QUOTE (javageek @ Jun 17 2008, 01:39 AM)
If that doesn't work I take a Melatonin pill.

FTW!!!

I would recommend if you can swing it, a temperpedic mattress. I know they are a bit expensive but they are very easy on your body. Also try covering a window so that the early morning light doesn't wake you up until you need to be.
Old 06-18-2008 | 10:31 PM

^word

TempurPedic mattresses are the best!! and here's the best part, if you can't afford the whole Tempur bed, then you should be able to order a custom mattress they make that's "regular mattress" with just a decent amount layer of it over that.

my dad definitely couldn't afford the whole Tempur, but he did get the mattress with a layer of Tempur over it, and it worked GREAT for him. i even layed in there to see what's it like, and it's COMFORTABLE!!!

and UrSon, SleepNumber beds ~ NOT recommended for couples who tend to snuggle/cuddle at bedtime lol.
a friend's parent got one, but they HATED it cuz dad likes to snuggle mom at night, and the border in the middle gets in his comforts' way, so they got rid of it for a bed with layer of Tempur lol.gif
Old 06-18-2008 | 10:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

if you jog at night before bedtime, you will sleep like a lumberjack. exercise before sleep, though not the optimal time to do it, will put you out quick.
Old 06-18-2008 | 11:04 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

good find foxxy, i been doing this when i can. another good point^ as well a vigurous activity before bed will speed up ur metabolism before bed and if you dont eat 3 hours before bed it allows ur body to burn more fat naturally.
Old 06-18-2008 | 11:11 PM

thanks Demon, sometimes, i'll eat turkey before bed.

oh man those meat really do make everybody go into a food coma lmao.gif especially around thanksgiving, whew, every time we eat turkey on TGiving, we all take a nap in the living room, and then when we wake up we'd all watch a movie lol
Old 06-23-2008 | 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I dated a girl for awhile who was into that Wicca stuff. I never bought into it.

And I'm sorry, but this just doesn't make sense. The magnetic field of earth does not change. The earth's magnetic field is not constant, that is true, but magnetic reversals take thousands of years. And birds fly south because its WARM there. LOL. If this does work for you, it's because it's psychological.

If you have trouble sleeping and don't like taking drugs, take melatonin. You can also try to expose yourself to the dark for a few hours before bed, ie no bright lights. Melatonin is an herbal supplement, and is found in the body naturally. Your body releases melatonin depending on ambient lighting around you.