Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Hate Your Xbox Live Headset? Want 5.1 Surround Sound?

Old 01-26-2006, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, I got tired of trying to hear my Xbox Live games when Lizgiggles is watching those stupid Law & Order - Special School Lunch Money Division shows. I didn't mind L & O when it came out, but all of these stupid cop dramas are just too much now.

Anyways, we always have problems with volume on the two TV's, trying to keep them high enough to hear but low enough to not bother the other. Since the BIG TV is hooked up to the stereo for the living room, I needed a solution. Since I play on Xbox Live and refuse to play without voice capability, my options were limited.

Enter the Turtle Beach Ear Force AXT.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/earforce/axt/

WOW. Now the price is up there a bit, but still not bad for what you get. I looked around on ebay and got mine here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8248700430

It's refurbished, but mine looked brand new. Cost me $49, with $10 for shipping. It came with everything needed, and I gotta tell you guys, their customer service was grade A for me.

As for the product?

WHOLY FRIGGIN HELL.

This thing is awesome. The earcups are comfy and block about 95% of the noise from outside. Directional sound is almost perfect. If it sounds like you are getting shot at from behind to the upper right, you ARE. If it sounds like someone is walking through a shipping container at you from behind with a silenced SMG, firing at the hip, THEY ARE. The sound is perfect, or near enough for me. The Communicator mic is perfectly situated and adjustable. There are 4 speakers in each earcup. Front, center, rear, and a sub.

1. Cheap QUALITY 5.1 sound from a well known name in the sound business.

2. Microphone built in, and done well. Can use for Xbox Live or on a PC.

3. Powered headset, great sound and bass, power cable is plenty long AND disconnects at RCA sound jacks.

4. Comes with color coded adapters for splicing in more RCA cables, comes with a mic cord extension to ensure your mic plugs in.

Complaints?

1. I have a huge head, 7 7/8, and they are a tiny bit tight on me. They have plenty of room to go on but they seem to hold my head a bit tight. I will get used to it, it could just be that I've not used headphones like this since the 80's. LOL

2. No power switch. Did I mention these are POWERED? It's no biggie, but I just like the ability to turn stuff off If I want.

3. Audio cord is a bit short, but you can use any RCA cables to extend.

4. You look like a Cessna Pilot wearing this thing. It's huge.

Lastly, they have a few others. The AXT is SIMULATED 5.1 surround sound, but there are some ACTUAL surround sound ones, with 8 individual amplifiers.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/e...pa/indetail.asp

Anyways, thought I'd share.

I give it a 9.5 out of 10.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:25 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 5-door

Meh. Overkill.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:05 AM

Actually, it's not at all. The one with the 8 amplifiers is overkill.

This one took me what, 2 minutes to hook up? The sound is great, the mic works great, and it definately improved my gameing and my personal skill. Also, I know a LOT of folks go throught the same issues as me, wanting to play a game on Saturday morning and not wake up the family. Wanting to play a game while the spouse watches a boring/gay/overdone/too many sequels/whatever else show and not interrupt them.

This is about as good as it gets.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:17 PM

Hey guys, I saw today, there is a new version of this called the X2, it's wireless.