Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Guess What Happened!.....

Old 10-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so did you get the car tuned before the turbo blew up? or no?

it really sounds like you have had the most issues, even more than me (which is amazing) with your turbo setup.. although, i didn't know what i was doing when i first installed mine, and bryan supposedly did.

im just really confused.. the only thing i can think of is excessive oil pressure or a faulty return line at the moment.. if it was only one turbo, it would have just been a bad turbo, but two in a row...
Old 10-31-2007, 06:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah we went to get the car tuned last week I believe. We drove it only once when it was untuned..and that was to the shop.

We think it has something to do with the pcv. Who knows..I know Im confused as to why it happened. The turbo is a turbonetics t3/t4..it was off bryans tib so we knew it was fine. My return lines are good..dont have any restrictors. Symptoms prior to this was just a misfire really and little to no boost. When we were getting it tuned and the car wasn't able to boost..the mechanic said it's either because there was a huge boost leak somewhere or the turbo is crapping out..we figured it was a leak..because nothing could have made that turbo go bad really.

My dad's helping me out with getting a daily driver..but the tib is going to be left alone for now because of no money.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Banned

i had routed my PCV and made it non effective for a while.. it was keeping pressure in the system, causing oil to leak in the easiest place it could (the turbo seals) i put in a fitting, and re routed the system and is stopped leaking.. if i didn't fix it, i woulda blown my seals.

are you getting oil from the head? still no restrictor?

sorry to hear about this again.. i know how frusterating the tib can be, especially in a turbo state.. lol i have to replace my alternator now, and on my second turbo.. almost blew my second turbo when i had PCV problem..
Old 10-31-2007, 06:34 PM

My pcv was left open..just yesterday did we reroute it so it did nothing. I drove not even a mile with it like that when it happened.

Yeah it does suck..but when you turbo your car it's inevitable that something will happen. You just hope it won't.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:37 PM
Banned

very true... everytime i think i have everything squared away on my car, some other dumb problem arrises like this alternator bullshit.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:42 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

What turbo was it that blew?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:43 PM

Turbonetics t3/t4...
Old 10-31-2007, 06:48 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Ouch...not enough oil?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:56 PM

No there was enough oil...I dont know why it blew in the first place.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:08 PM
Banned

what type of oil are you using, and how new was it? do you have a turbo timer, or at least let your car cool down before shutting it off?