Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Guess What Happened!.....

Old 10-31-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

My turbo blew AGAIN. Well this is my second turbo.

I was driving to work this morning and I started smelling this rubbery smell. I ignore it for a minute thinking someones tire blew or something but its not going away. I look behind me and theres smoke EVERYWHERE. I then realize it's coming from my car. I pull a u-turn into a parking lot and look to see whats up.

There was smoking literally pouring out of the exhaust..I mean if you drove behind me you'd be blinded, thats how bad it was. I quickly go home and we go and open the engine bay..

Turbo blown. Oil dripping out of it. It was so bad.

I'm done with this bs..I can't afford a $800 turbo and spend more time putting it on, and then more money going to get it tuned again. (I just went last week)

This f--king sucks.

Sorry no pictures, can't find my camera cable.

Oh yeah btw..happy halloween mad.gif
Old 10-31-2007, 04:56 PM

Vehicle: tiburon SE 2000

that really sucks
i feel sorry for you man
Old 10-31-2007, 04:58 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ that man's a hot chick.

Hey, you havn't been around much. That sucks. What could possibly be causing it?

Are you going to put some headers on it now?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:03 PM

^I really don't frequent any forums anymore, just don't feel like it..so RD dont take is personally ha ha. Just felt like letting you guys know of any new news with the Tib.

lol it'd cost me soooo much to return it to stock now that the haltech is in there. I'm in a big bind because I can't afford anything.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:21 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i don't have a job now either, i've been doing small chores for money. really sorry to hear that. i wonder what the problem could be.

i'm saying the same thing. i will never modfy a car as much as mine right now. next time it will just be simple like HID's and Eibach Pro Kit and the car will come turbocharged.

i really don't know what to tell you. it would be easiest to replace the turbo by getting money doing chores like me but yeah as much fun as it is to whip around, N/A is the safest and most reliable route. you don't know how many turbo people i've seen return back to stock or sell their tiburons. there are only a few turbo guys here who are running good healthy boost without serious maintenance.

happy halloween as well, crazy how fast it comes and goes...
Old 10-31-2007, 05:29 PM

I think the cars cursed..honestly. Anyone who's worked on it will tell you somethings not right with it.

My dads buying me a cheap, daily driver...luckily. But now the tib is just going to sit there and it'll be a loooong time before I get enough money to get a turbo or switch it back to n/a (which I should do) It does suck real bad...when you put allll that money into it and it just breaks. If I sold it now, I'd be lucky to get 3.5k for it which is real messed up. So like I said, I'm stuck, really stuck.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:39 PM

it's like that for everyone here, the luckier you are (to have a turbo) the more room there is for something like this to happen. now that my car is almost done i bought a fire extinguisher. ask some friends if they'll hook you up with a job with them. all of this tuning BS comes down to money. without money your car will always be at a standstill.

i don't know much about turbos but the next one you get get the pressure turned down to a safe 6 o 7 psi like NightShark's. Zoe from UKCS was running an alpine Supercharger, the same one I have. She ran about 4 psi at first and then got it up to around 6 or so and was pushing 200hp with some N/A mods combined. if you decide to work your butt off for it again, you might want to think about pulleys, cam, and clutch with about 6 psi.

i may have told you before, but i bought an alpine supercharger as well. went to the tuning shop, and came really close to an appointment so they could throw it on and tune it but then gas prices went up and i figured as worth it and fun as it would be there would be no point in draining all of my money if i'm going to drive it to florida back and fourth.

speaking of which, you didn't drive your car down there did you? that might have messed things up a bit.

swift, what the heck are you doing on halloween @ 7:41 pm on rdtiburon?! shit, what am i doing here? oh yeah... those english essays.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Banned

hey girl, sorry to hear about the turbo blowing up ... again...

at least you wouldn't have to get it tuned if you had same turbo installed..

but yeah, any idea what could be causing the turbo to crap out? where did you buy it from? which turbo is it? what brand?

i know you and alex know what your doing, but hows the return line set up? any restrictor on the head?

doesn't make sense that two turbos would just blow like that. do you have an oil pressure gauge?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:50 PM

I've got a job, just need another one to be able to afford anything for the car.

No, I got the car shipped here. It was so untuned it def. wouldn't have made it here. Believe me, I hear lectures all the time from my dad about the turbo.

I wasn't even boosting..the most I got was 3 psi.

I'm trying to forget Halloween..it's not a good day for me at all. F' it. I wish I was writing english essays lol..sad to say but its better then just being frustrated and doing nothing but looking for a cheap daily driver.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:05 PM

oooh no! no more papers! writing papers for 5 annoying years for 3 hours in night school per week is more boring than looking DUBs on 23's.

whaaat?! 3 psi?! no there is definitely a problem with something on the setup. it cannot be the turbo, especially 2 of them in a row.

tough without bryan? where is alex? i'm sure your dad is helping you out. it can't be that bad.