Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Google Goodies

Old 05-16-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I've recently taken up some of the new or decently new Google services (and there is a lot of them...). I just wanted to take a minute to share some of them with you. I'll also throw in some none google, but still very good web services. If you know anything like these feel free to post them, and I'll add them to the list. The point of this is basically to let you guys know of all the great "Web 2.0" websites out there now. Well not all, but the major ones...

- Gmail - Google's Email. I'd consider this the best email service right now. I have about 100 invites on my account right now, so PM me if you would like one.

- Google Calendar - About a month old now, the Google Calendar is a calendar i just couldn't do without. Major features include, sharing and adding calendars, SMS to cell phones for alerts, iCal and XML feeds, and a lot more.

- Google Reader - This is a RSS Feed Reader. Basically you can take the rss feeds (Like the one of the most recent topics posted on RDTiburon "http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?act=rssout") and put them all in one program. This lets you see the news from multiple sites and blogs in one location. I probably have around 50 sites feeding into my google reader right now and find it very useful!.

- Google Notebook - This came out, well today! smile.gif. Ive already started to use it though. Seems very handy. You can mark sites for research, bookmarks, shopping lists, wish lists, articles, etc. Right now I'm using for my bookmarks, Article Saving, and shopping list (for the tib smile.gif ).

- Meebo - Online Instant Messanger Client. You can use Jabber (GTalk), MSN, Yahoo!, and AIM all at once at this site and its all online inside your browser. It also recently added a history feature, so you never lose your past chats.

- Flickr - Picture hosting and storage. Owned by Yahoo!. I have paid for a Pro version of the site, but the free one is still VERY good if you ask me smile.gif.

- TechCrunch - Probably the #1 Web 2.0 Blog. I absolutely love reading about the new services that companies are putting out.

i got a bunch more, but I'll post them up a bit later. I'll also work on some screenshots...

edits: 6/16 - Added Google Notebook, Google Reader, and Google Calendar Screenshots
Old 05-16-2006, 08:04 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

hmm. that meebo one seems pretty cool. have you tried it out? does it incorporate things such as buddy icons and infos and stuff of that sort?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:12 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Yes i use it all the time. Especially when i dont have access to my normal desktop. It has infos however atm, you cant set your own profile. i understand that it is being developed and should be released in the near future. same thing for icons. you can view, but not change your own. it is also to be added in the near future.