Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Good Samaritan Law

Old 07-09-2013 | 05:30 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default Good Samaritan Law

Good Samaritan laws are laws or acts offering legal protection to people who give reasonable assistance to those who are injured, ill, in peril, or otherwise incapacitated. In some cases, Good Samaritan laws encourage people to offer assistance (duty to rescue).[1] The protection is intended to reduce bystanders' hesitation to assist, for fear of being sued or prosecuted for unintentional injury or wrongful death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law

If you saw someone being victimized, would you jump in and try and help or would you stand by and not get involved?
Old 07-09-2013 | 05:44 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

It depends upon the situation.

For instance, earlier today some a**hole blew through a red light at an intersection into traffic. Now he was on a bicycle, but (at least in my state) you are obligated to follow the basic laws of traffic. EG: Red light means "stop fucknugget." He almost got taken out by a car, if that had been the case there is no question in my mind that I would do everything my my power to make sure that the driver that his the cyclist proven innocent and the cyclist punish to (or beyond) the full extent of the law. IMHO he should be on the hook for any damages to the driver car resulting from the hit as he failed to yield right-of-way. I know most people would rush to aid the downed and possibly mortally wounded cyclist, but he's a dickhole and deserves what he gets.

Now in the case of some schmo getting robbed, if its a decent neighborhood and the victim wasn't flashing around a wad of 100's or wearing a 6" faced gold watch, sure I'd probably get involved. But in my experience, most people who get victimized either did it to themselves or refused to defend themselves. Again, get what you deserve. I hope takes the watch, wallet and your pride. Maybe he'll even force himself upon you in a dark alley using a splintered Louisville Slugger. Feel so damn wealthy and smart now that your anus is bleeding?
Old 07-09-2013 | 07:52 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

Old 07-09-2013 | 08:36 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Originally Posted by Tibbi
But in my experience, most people who get victimized either did it to themselves or refused to defend themselves.
dafuq?
Old 07-09-2013 | 08:51 PM

I'm a very bitter person.

Also I've seen a lot of circumstances where people should have known better and/or didn't react properly to a dangerous situation. It's that little voice of survival that some are just missing. Case in point: the asshat that just went screaming into a busy intersection on his bicycle. He deserves what he (eventually) gets. Any time I've been in any bad situation, critical thinking could have easily avoided the problem.

Don't go to the ATM in the ghetto after dark.

Don't piss off the guy at the bar and walk out alone.

And never EVER pork a stripper, bagged or not. I mean, just spin the wheel of diseases and swan dive in medical waste if you want a shorter and shittier life.
Old 07-09-2013 | 09:04 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Interesting perspective. I guess I was considering situations where the victim was overpowered by the assailant or a weapon was used. A lady being beaten by a male, an elderly person being robbed with a weapon, a mother not provoking the situation in an attempt to protect her children, or any seemingly random act of aggression one would come across in public.
Old 07-09-2013 | 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Ummm... You guys are completely missing what a Good Samaritan Law does. It refers to rendering aid to injured persons. It has NOTHING to do with criminal acts. It doesn't protect you from being sued for hurting someone in defense of others. There are laws pertaining to that but not Good Samaritan Laws. As an EMT, I had to learn all about the G.S. laws. They say that, for example, if someone has a heart attack and you give them CPR, they can't sue you if you break one of their ribs while administering CPR.

I find it humorous that it seems the OP didn't even read the link they posted.
Old 07-10-2013 | 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by majik
Interesting perspective. I guess I was considering situations where the victim was overpowered by the assailant or a weapon was used. A lady being beaten by a male, an elderly person being robbed with a weapon, a mother not provoking the situation in an attempt to protect her children, or any seemingly random act of aggression one would come across in public.

As I said, there are some situations that condone intervening. Case in point, after a film shoot one night I stopped for gas and the car at the pump behind us erupted in a wail of screaming and smacking sound. Some really big, well built dude was beating the holy christ out of the female driver. Without and ounce of hesitation I took the crowbar from my trunk and clocked him upside the face (apparently breaking his jaw and eye socket according to the police report). Yes, I used a weapon because there was no way my ass could take someone his size bare knuckle. Some other people at the gas station got involved and we held him down until the cops came. I got the feeling this wasn't the first time this has happened. So trust me when I say I'd do this for her today, but not tomorrow or ever again. If she's dumb enough to stay with him despite the savage beating she took, she deserves it.

I guess it's like the GS law, because despite him being pretty badly roughed up none of us got any heat for what we did.
Old 07-11-2013 | 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

That's not GS, it's self defense, which covers acting in defense of others under threat of immediate bodily harm.