Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

good beginners motorcycle

Old 11-27-2002 | 05:56 AM

Default good beginners motorcycle

Since I know a lot of ppl on this board ride i figure i'll ask sum questions here. I'm hoping by next summer/fall i'll be able to pay my car off and would like to buy a motorcycle. I know NOTHING about riding them and about good ones, only thing i've heard is honda makes really good bikes. I plan on taking a course on riding, my boss suggested i do so i know the dangers of it and how to avoid a wreck. But what i'd really like to know is some good bikes for a beginner, i'm gonna most def. go w/ used so what year, make, model would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-27-2002 | 01:37 PM

Kawasaki Ninja 250R...Thats what I started on. They are cheap to buy and very light bikes. They are easy to move around because of their weight. I got mine brand new for about $3,000 and dumped it the 2nd day. I dont recomend learning on a new one wink I think its a great beginner bike.
Old 11-27-2002 | 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Just about any bike under 600 CC's (550 or smaller) that is cheap, and light will do the trick.

You won't keep your beginner bike for more than 2 years, so don't worry about speed, power, etc..etc..or resale value.

For reccomendations. Stay away from any fully faired bike. You will have parking lot drops, and garage accidents. You don't want to scuff up body work. God forbid you do have an accident with the bike, you'll end up replacing $1000 to $2000 in bodywork. Stick with open body work bikes, at the most, a half fairing. To me, the Ninja 250R and 500R just have too much body work to get damaged to reccomend it as a beginner bike.

Suzuki GS500E
Suzuki LS650 Savage (over the 600ccc limit I imposed, but a cruiser, so not a speed deamon)
Kawasaki EX500
Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD
Honda VLX Deluxe
MZ Skorpion (Cup, Cafe or Tour)

If you've had SOME experience on a 2 wheeled motor vehicle, and want to up the anti a tad.
Honda Hawk GT (650cc)
Suzuki SV650 or SV650S
Suzuki Bandit 600 (the only I4 600 I would reccomend for beginners)

I reccomend you put at least 5000 miles on your "beginner" bike before you even begin thinking of replacing it with a new one.

A "beginner" bike should be under $2000, preferably under $1000. This isn't a bike to fall in love with...it's a bike to teach you how to ride.

Go to http://www.msf-usa.org/ Get yourself signed up for a class. Don't buy the bike till just before you take the class. Get your motorcycle permit before the class too. In most states it's just a written test. You want to take the class right as you get the bike, so you don't teach yourself any bad habits. Once you learn a bad habit...they are HARD to break. But you need to have a bike to practice what you learned...so don't take the class then LOOK for a bike.

Invest in a good leather jacket that is cheap. AGV SPort is the one I reccomend, loaded with padding, nice and thick, and only $150 to $200. Don't invest in a $600 dainese just yet, it might not match the color scheme of your "keeper" bike, and it might get ruined in an accident....

Get a good set of gloves with double leather in the palms. It might reduce your feel somewhat on the bars, but you'll be thankful for them if you ever need them.

Be wary of used helmets. Make sure there are NO scratches or "dings" in it. This is your head...an extra $100 here goes a long way. Try on several at your local bike shop, and then look for the size/model online. Cheap helmets can be had for $50 new...but I reccomend you stick with Shoei, Arai, or AGV. After owning 5 helmets, of those three brands..I'd reccomend shoei for their cheap facesheilds and ease of replacement. the Arai is the best venting, but a PITA to replace the shields on, and they are spendy. For a beginner helmet, stick with the bottom of the line, and stick with solid colors. You can upgrade to a fancy racing replica lid with all the vents bells and whistles once you know what you like.

Good boots are a wise investment, but you don't need "motorcycle" boots. I make do with Doc martins. Some with steel toe, somewithout. I actually perfer the ones without the steel toe for better shifter feel.

About the only other thing I can ad is...practice, practice, practice. And that means RIDE! You won't have many opportunities to ride in the next few months in PA...but you can read up and learn. I can reccomend several books if you are interested, and also several magazines to subscribe to.

If you want more info...lemme know.