Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Gimme all of your Problems! (car related problems that is)

Old 01-27-2003 | 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Default Gimme all of your Problems! (car related problems that is)

I'm trying to come up with a list of "known" problems with our cars.

Could I get everyone to list the things that have broken/gone wrong with their car. I want everything, from blown headlight bulbs to fried wheel bearings, warped brake rotors to annoying reverse shift grinds, bad o2 sensors to cracked exhaust manifolds. (if you break the welds on your intake manifold, that's YOUR fault).

If the problem was fixed, state what problems were required to fix the problem.

Please also list year, model, tranny, and what mods you have. Also list if something YOU DID caused the problem. Blowing your differntial at 350 WHP would be an "expected" problem. Blowing your differential on a car with just a CAI and cat back would NOT.

Known problems appear to be.

Blown Head Light bulbs, Gen2 Tiburon
Problems going into reverse (grind) Gen1 and Gen2 Tiburons, and 97-00 Elantras (anyone have this problem with the 01+ elantra or 03+ 2.0L Tibby?)
Interior Clock hard/impossible to reset. (gen1 and gen2)
Wheel bearings (usually rear) gen1 and gen2
Coil Packs going bad, Gen1 usually.

Have you had any of these problems? Have you had any others??? Let us know!
Old 01-27-2003 | 06:39 AM

Well mostly i have the problems with the low beems that keep going out. But since i bought it(new), the TCM went out and was fixed under warenty, also the battery went out after only 30,000 miles and was also replaced for free. Thats about it...oh yea, i have a 2001 tiburon
Old 01-27-2003 | 06:43 AM

the rear of the bell housing on the 3rd gen sonatas tend to blow out often...
Old 01-27-2003 | 06:43 AM

2k1 tib 5sp
passenger side lo-beams blown twice in 6 months.
sad.gif occasional grind into reverse or takes a couple tries to engage reverse
cricks and cracks sounding around cabin while idling or moving
sad.gif blown upper radiator hose (warranty fix)
black strip that holds all the plastic screws to keep the front bumper on under the hood has rusted all to heck. the only rust i've seen on this 2 yr old car.

this seems like a malicious person from another board would love to see these "problems" as a bashing point against us hyundai owners... just my .02

[ January 27, 2003, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: phorq ]
Old 01-27-2003 | 06:54 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

2001 Accent GS
1.6L DOHC 5spd.

The tranny had a crappy 1-2 shift from day one, but the dealer conned me into thinking it was normal. Eventually, they rebuilt the tranny under warranty (see below). Still get an occasional *crunch* going into reverse, but it is a non-synchronized gear so its forgiven. Redline MT-90 gear oil helps a ton.

Here's the only major issue i've had with my accent:
My clutch blew up at 20,433 miles. Three-quarters of the lining on the pressure plate side had been ripped off or disentegrated. It also happened to take my tranny with it. The clutch (and i believe the flywheel) was replaced and the tranny was rebuilt under warranty and I've been problem free for the last 30+k miles.

I've noticed a creak or two coming from the backseats, but nothing major or constant. All in all, a damn good car for $10,500.

[ January 27, 2003, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: skierd ]
Old 01-27-2003 | 07:35 AM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

On my 2000 Tib I've expirienced the following problems.

1) The factory lowbeam bulbs only lasted about 8 months. I replaced them with aftermarket bulbs; 16 months and counting

2) The radio reciever wouldn't work when below 40 degrees F (a recall item, replaced). Subsequently the factory CD player stopped working (replaced under warranty).

3) The seatbelts wouldn't retract properly. (Recall item, repaired)

4) Annoyance: the rearview mirror vibrates at highway speed and makes a buzzing sound.

Thats all. I gather I have been very fortunate looking at some of the significant problems others have had.
Old 01-27-2003 | 07:46 AM

blue2000:
4) Annoyance: the rearview mirror vibrates at highway speed and makes a buzzing sound.
my rearview mirror vibrates, but that's stereo-related.
Old 01-27-2003 | 08:05 AM

My problem is the guy sold the Skyline before I was to go get it for myself!!!! Sucks not living on the main island where everything is convenient.

So, for all you people with cars....stop complaining too loudly. Some of us, have to start searchnig for a car all over again....and hope to get to the main island before someone with cash-on-hand gets it first. frown
Old 01-27-2003 | 08:38 AM

Oh yea and i have lots of rattles from the interior and hatch.
Old 01-27-2003 | 08:45 AM

2k1 Tiburon, 5spd

-blown headlights, highbeams and cornering lights, more than I can count, still an issue
-more rattles and noises than I can count come out of the dash in cold weather, still an issue
-second gear is hard... requires a shift through first and second, still an issue
-driver side power window gave out, fixed
-metal black strip under hood replaced due to rust after 1.5 years, no winter driving, fixed

As for not complaining about our cars... how do you expect to get any of these issues changed or helped if Hyundai never knows that they are inconveniencing their customers?

for example: I knew the headlights were a problem shortly after I bought the car after hearing from other owners yet the delearship doesn't recognize this as an issue at all. It is not so bad as long as they are paying to replace them, but I can think of a lot better places to put my money then new bulbs every few months.

Too, Hyundai should view feedback from satisfied customers not as complaints, but as areas to improve their products so that they can continue satisfying people. I love my car and will hate to see it go (when it's time) and chances are I will buy another Hyundai. I wouldn't call me a disgruntled or unsatisfied customer, just one who knows her car and knows it isn't perfect wink