Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Getting Onto Wireless Networks

Old 03-24-2006 | 11:16 AM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

there ARE ways, but they're not easy right now. do a search on google for net stumbler and from there you should find alot of wireless network hacking tools. I lost interest and convinced my next door neighbor to split his bill with me.

A better way to do it would be to use netstumbler to find a wireless network that is unsecured and then set up a wireless repeater.

Keep in mind that if they know enough to setup security, they probly know enough to look at their logs and find out who's on their network.
Old 03-24-2006 | 11:31 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Not true, any idiot can use XP to set up a WEP key..

Google netstumbler like he said, and maybe just search for some info on WEP keys.
Old 03-24-2006 | 12:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

guys, if they leave it wide open, then it's perfectly legal to use...

But if they have it locked up then it is illegal to break in. please keep that in mind before you try to hack in.

edit: btw, in my mind you've got two choices. talk to your neighbor (i guess your in an apartment) about paying them for the password. or get an outdoor antennae, pop it out the window and see if you can get to the apartments futher up the street and hope they don't have theirs locked down!
Old 03-24-2006 | 12:39 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

secured networks are a biiiiiiitch. LOL.

Just talk with your neighbors, make small talk and become friends. Who knows maybe one of em is a cute girl and you can get more than her network key...

oh wait, you married right? ...just the network key for you then.

=(
Old 03-24-2006 | 02:53 PM

On a related note,... is there a way to INCREASE the signal strength in your laptop / desktop via software to get a better signal?
Old 03-24-2006 | 03:51 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^ According to the FCC, a personal device (that does not require a liscense) is limited to 1/4 watt transmitting power. You can use directional antenna's (will help transmit/receive in one direction) but it is still only 1/4 of a watt.
Old 03-24-2006 | 04:27 PM

Vehicle: 99 Tibron

hahha, pringles can!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats all i gotta say!

image of mine

use airsnort to crack it, but you'll need linux to really run airsnort and proba. a weeks worth or packet snifing to decifer the wep key

i mihgt not know as much about cars as some of you but i am not a total loss
Old 03-24-2006 | 04:50 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Damn, the first time I've actually SEEN the pringles can thing in action....damn. That's awesome LOL.
I've seen the overpriced cones that are MEANT for this type of thing and always knew you COULD use a pringles can, but never seen one. You rock fing02.gif lol.
I'm curious though, how would he go about getting the WEP key..now that I think about it that's way too complicated to bruteforce..

HEY, were you the guy who bought my intake? I have it boxed up but I can't find your last PM and I totally forgot about who it was....PM me please lol.