Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Food

Old 05-17-2006, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well I must confess that I love Grilled stuft Burrito at Taco bell. cheap and good, kind of like a Spanish or portuguese whore.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:34 PM

Ive been fortunate enough to try quite a variety of foods in their respective countries.

Right now my top few are

1) Japanese home cooking. Not sushi, which is more of a delicacy in Japan. I'm talking the noodles and sticky rice

2) Eithiopean - Only when Im ready to feel really full afterwards

3) Malaysian - Think Chinese but darker and more spicy and brothy. Great soups and great noodles

4) Argentenian - These guys love meat and cheese. I don't eat any red meat or pork, but their chicked and cheese is AWESOME. And Expensive!!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:35 AM

Vehicle: Honda

Plus down south we have food a bunch of you guys don't have...

Cali-heads, I'll put a double whataburger up against any in-and-out burger.

They have won best wings in Dallas since they opened in 1994
Old 05-18-2006, 11:37 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

ugh wing stop sucks

sonic is good there gettin larger too i went to chicago and there were sonics everywhere
Old 05-18-2006, 11:43 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

i LOVE just about anything Italian
Can not stand Mexican
McDonalds is the place to go for some quick food
Old 05-18-2006, 11:50 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

after working at mcdonalds i will never eat anything there except for chicken.

you guys don't even wanna know..

fast food in general just makes me sick ever since then.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:04 PM

Vehicle: Honda

QUOTE (Ericy321 @ May 18 2006, 05:43 PM)
i LOVE just about anything Italian
Can not stand Mexican
McDonalds is the place to go for some quick food

The $1 Double Cheeseburger is the truth.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:06 PM

Hey, a food thread. smile.gif

I love to cook, in fact I nearly went to culinary school. Applied and accepted to the top institute, but the wishes of my parents won out, and I decided to become a failed international business major instead. Woohoo. Had I gone I'd be making a lot more money than I am now, but oh well.

One of my favorite weekend activities is having a few friends over for a nice meal. And it's worth it when you can buy $75 worth of fresh seafood or beef and feed half a dozen people, when that meal would easily be $300+ in a restaurant.

Last weekend, I made flounder baked with maple syrup, shrimp sauteed with garlic, cilantro and champagne, and a pilaf with brown basmati and wild rice, with shallots, celery, basil and pine nuts. A pinch of nutmeg is the secret ingredient that will have people saying "This is f*cking amazing rice!"

I make several pilafs each week, it's such a versatile dish. I'll do either a rice or barley risotto once in a while too, usually with shrimp and italian parsley. But that's not exactly healthy with white rice, butter and heavy cream. Even with barley it's difficult to make it taste good while still healthy. Here's a multigrain pilaf in the making:

I start out by sauteeing onion (or shallots for a thick risotto-like sauce) in olive oil, add whatever veggies, then in the above version I add hulled barley, wheat berries, and spelt groats, finally brown and wild rice, making sure the grains all get toasted and coated in oil. Then if I am using any, I toss in dried fruit. Continue to sautee, adding white or sparkling wine, then fill with chicken stock until all ingredients are covered. Don't forget the saffron. Cover with foil (I use heavy cast iron pans) and bake at 350 for a good hour. It's pretty easy to make pilafs, and you can do much better yourself than most restaurants. And unlike typical rice dishes, pilafs only get better as leftovers, there's no hardening and clumping. I can post a recipe if anyone wants it.

I also like to make Moroccan style dishes. Here's a chicken with cilantro lime sauce and whole wheat cous cous with dried apricots, made it a few weeks back:

Moroccan dishes are so great because of the spices they use, and because you slow cook them, you can use cheaper cuts of meat and they still come out tender and full of flavor. Most people don't even know what a mortar and pestle is, but I use one daily for crushing and blending spices. It's so easy to make curries that blow away anything you can buy. It's all about toasting the seeds yourself and then grinding.