Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

To Flaunt Or Not To Flaunt...

Old 01-28-2007 | 08:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Honestly, when I first got my turbo installed, noone knew I was turbo until they really heard the car; one guy only noticed because of my wideband..but even then he wanted to look under the hood for more proof.

People just dont believe Hyundais can be turboed so its a sleeper right from the get go.
Old 01-28-2007 | 08:41 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

fmic and sleeper (to me, and i know about 99% of you will disagree with me but maybe i can inspire someone) is almost a joke. put a bov on it-... there's your punchline, paint the intercooler black and you just screwed up your joke. i think, if your gonna run a turbo sleeper run a liquid to air intercooler. and for jake's sake, do not put a blow off valve on it. get a recirculating "bov". if you are gonna run a fmic do not paint it black. it's an intercooler, not an interheater. would you wear a coat on a hot day? is there any reason for an intercooler to wear a coat of black paint (keep in mind black absorbs heat)on a hot day? i don't know why it's more important to show your huge fmic, than to have cooler liquid cooled boost? well i'm done gambeling my 2 cents.
Old 01-28-2007 | 09:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I say show people that your boosted. Like everyone else said there aren't to many tibs boosted, so show it off and show them what a Hyundai is capable of
Old 01-28-2007 | 10:10 PM

er..... probobly a random question, but dosent anybody make a black anoed fmic? (ive never actualy SEEN an intercooler, im just guessing they are aluminum).

ok so yeah, id go with a front mount personaly. I LIKE the way they look on the turbo tibs ive seen around here.
Old 01-28-2007 | 10:27 PM

Vehicle: car

Go with an FMIC, not because of the whole I have a turbo aspect, but for airflow.. If you put that SMIC under your battery tray it won't get as much airflow or cooling, not to mention the DSM intercoolers are the size of a small novel... Go with the front mount dude.
Old 01-29-2007 | 06:07 AM

Actually I remember reading that maybe it was greddy, but they discovered that a LIGHT coating of black on an intercooler does NOT make it any less efficent.

I think Swain tech does a black coating that actually promotes the efficency of an intercooler.

In case you are wondering, I am from the "Sleeper" camp. No offense to those that say to flaunt it.. once word gets out among the ricers that there is a new turbo in town, people are going to want to race like crazy. FMICs also attract the police
Old 01-29-2007 | 07:28 AM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

Anything that sets the car apart from any other car attracts the police. They like shiny objects. (ex: bigger wheels, clear corners, clear tails. hell some window tint as well)

I sure wish I could sleep the Jetta. That 'GLI' name plate and the factory 17"s kinda blow the cover.

nana.gif
Old 01-29-2007 | 07:45 AM

Vehicle: Had 96 Elantra Wagon

If your going to go with the sleeper look don't paint the intercooler have it anodized black.
Old 01-29-2007 | 10:39 AM

Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

i'm not fan of painted ic's. i think it's kinda gay. cause if you are turbo and have a fmic why would you hid that fact.
Old 01-29-2007 | 11:08 AM

I say let it show! drillsergeant.gif