Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Fahrenheit 9/11

Old 06-25-2004 | 06:00 PM

Default 17" ADR Sokudo 8 on Kumho Ecsta ASX

QUOTE (REDZMAN)
*QUOTE EDITED FOR LENGTH...*

As far as I know, the US repealed the law starting that we're not allowed to assassinate people. Apparently we can pick off whoever we want now. Just like the first attempt on Saddam the night the war started.
Old 06-25-2004 | 07:58 PM

Okay, about Fahrenheit 9/11, Moore was on FOX this morning/afternoonish talking about the movie. He and the anchorman(ha) kinda got in to it when Moore said that the movie is based around showing the other half that news doesn't tell you. AKA, the Liberal side of the Conservative station. It's more than obvious when a station is conservative because they just show the things that favor the President. So, what he did, was go to Iraq and interview soldiers to get their input, and he clearly stated that he says nothing and let them do the talking. So basically, there's two sides to every story. My girlfriend used to be in journalism in high school, so she knows the whole beef with journalists milking stories and this this and that, so she liked Moore a lot because he does a lot of things that stations normally wouldn't do. So even though he's kinda stupid, and quite liberal, he mushes things just as much as the normal news does, just on the other side of the spectrum......

disclaimer, i dont care either way. just wanted to post.
Old 06-25-2004 | 08:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (Arch93086)
As far as I know, the US repealed the law starting that we're not allowed to assassinate people. Apparently we can pick off whoever we want now. Just like the first attempt on Saddam the night the war started.

We can assassinate folks. Just not heads of state.

The night we attacked Iraq we were at "war" with them, the Commander in Chief is a legitimate target.
Old 06-25-2004 | 08:43 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

is it technically a "war"? you mentioned "Vietnam War" and "Korean War"...and i don't mean to get into a debate about it.... But those weren't wars. they were "conflicts" tongue.gif

if i'm not mistaken though, we have covered everything involving Michael Moore and his crappy movie and fascist ideas. Locking due to being drained is allowed... yes, you needed my permission. it's MY thread tongue.gif

if not...keep it open, let others voice their views...but i just think that everything has been covered
Old 06-25-2004 | 10:40 PM

The Korean war was a "police action" on our part, but there was a declared war between the North and South.

Vietnam was so many wars just kept going, but was also not an official war. We haven't declared war since WWII.

Someone tell me why.
Old 06-26-2004 | 07:55 AM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

Redz, that is a good question. I'm sure a Ph.D. dissertation could be written on it but it boils down to 3 factors, if you ask me.

1) getting congress to pass articles of war is nearly impossible because of politics, so it never even goes to a vote
2) apparently we can have a war without calling it a war and therefore arn't bound by the LOAC or Geneva Conventions. Or at least not bound as tightly
3) Declaring war requires an enemy that can be dehumanized, and that's nearly impossible in today touchy-feeling climate. We've got people on TV talking about Saddam and saying things like "ok, so he's not a good guy and maybe he deserved it but..." as rebuttal to being told a mass grave with 300,000 human remains was found.

Anyway, I'm probably wrong. Anyone have a PhD in poli-sci?
Old 06-26-2004 | 08:19 AM

Pretty close on all accounts Blue.

The main reason is when you Declare War, you are responsible for rebuilding the country afterwards, IE: Germany and Japan after WWII.

Even though Iraq wasn't a declared war, we are still doing it there.
Old 06-28-2004 | 06:40 AM

WTF.......this movie got #1 at the box office this weekend........

I feel sorry for all the people who wasted thier hard earned money on this TRASH.
Old 06-28-2004 | 06:56 AM

Redz, we still rebuild everywhere. Afghanistan, Iraq, Bosnia, etc. We dump a billion or 8 in the place and they still hate us. If someone rebuilt my country, I'd be very thankful.
Old 06-28-2004 | 07:41 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I can't imagine it got 1st this weekend. I went and saw TWO movies to try and boost others to be higher than that one. I don't think that was playing anywhere in the 12 Nashville movie theaters... not saying that's a bad thing wink.gif
Time for B-Money's Weekend Movie Review!
The Notebook: Chick Flick/Date Movie - Your girlfriend WILL cry
Shrek 2: Ya Gotta Love Shrek! lol.gif