Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Facing A Huge Turning Point In My Life. Need Help Making A Decision.

Old 10-16-2005, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

u only work 12 hour days man... what do u do with all your free time lmao.gif
(on a regular basis i work 15-20 hours i worked 108 hours in 1 week two weeks ago)

stay in school. it sounds like your doing well in the job u have or else u wouldnt be able to get a promotion. if i was u i would just ask my boss for some time off on sertain days. if u are that valuable of a employee they wont say no.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

were you going to school though? thats the worst part. once youre done with a long day of work you have the tons of schoolwork looming over you. i can work 14 hour days like a crazy man, not during school though.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:02 PM

I know how hard it is to work your ass off in school and work your ass off at your job. I work 45-50 hour weeks right now and I take 2 classes with 2 labs. Earlier in the year, I had 5 classes along with my 35-40 hour work weeks. I don't get any benefits from my job... I get nothing. I'm relying on my parents, just like you. It's very overwhelming at times, but you got to hang in there.

I have a question though. Why do you say you'd never use your degrees? If that's the case, then why did you bother taking them? I just don't understand why you would major in something that you have no faith in.

I really believe you should stay in school and work all at once. Does your college offer online courses? Maybe you can take one or two of them at a time. If not that, then take maybe 2 courses a semester. Sure it would push you back, but you'd get that promotion AND still have the help of your parents.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I definately agree with eveyone else. Even if you have to stretch it 3 more semesters, it will be well worth it. STAY IN SCHOOL! Your job will understand. Company's dont give promotions to eveyone that walks through the door. If you know you are getting the promotion, its because you have earned it and they feel that you can help their company. I can almost bet that if they are willing to promote you, they will be willing to work with you to get you graduated.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

QUOTE (SilentSecret @ Oct 16 2005, 06:42 PM)
u only work 12 hour days man... what do u do with all your free time lmao.gif
(on a regular basis i work 15-20 hours i worked 108 hours in 1 week two weeks ago)

stay in school. it sounds like your doing well in the job u have or else u wouldnt be able to get a promotion. if i was u i would just ask my boss for some time off on sertain days. if u are that valuable of a employee they wont say no.

On M, W, F schedule:
- - - Class from 9:30 - 2:30
- - - Eat lunch and commute to work from 2:30-3:45
- - - Work from 3:45 - 1:45am (unless we work 12hr shifts, then I get off at 3:45)
- - - Sleep from about 3am(10hr shift) or 4:30am(12hr shift) til 8:30am
Maximum ability to sleep 5 hours.. usually 4 or 4.5

On Tues & Thurs.
- - - Class from 9:00 - 2:20
- - - Eat lunch and commute to work from 2:20 - 3:45
- - - Work from 3:45 - 1:45 (unless we work 12hr shifts, then I get off at 3:45)
- - - Sleep from about 3am(10hr shift) or 4:30am(12hr shift) til 8am
Maximum ability to sleep 5 hours, usually about 4 per night

Saturdays.. I'm so used to getting up at 8:00 I can't really sleep in.
Sundays... I'm so used to going to bed @ 3am I can't get to sleep til late Saturday night/Sunday morning and I have church @ 9:30-12 .... then I go to lunch til 2ish... then I go to my girlfriend's house and relax from 2-6 and do some studying. Back to church @ 6:00 til around 9 or 10pm. Go home, and start the cycle all over again.

I get about 30-35 hours of sleep in a week. I used to be able to do that in 3 or 4 days no problem.. now I average about 5 hours per night. Try to fit time to study, go to the gym, spend time with my family, girlfriend, friends, church...

QUOTE (BIGTRE13 @ Oct 16 2005, 06:26 PM)
You already gave yourself the best answer. If they are thinking about promoting you then you have to let them know how you feel. An employer likes motivated people, stay in school.

The problem is, I don't know if they'll accept my proposal. I'm doubtful of it but hopeful.

QUOTE (BIGTRE13 @ Oct 16 2005, 06:26 PM)
If all else fails get on your knees and beg lmao.gif fing02.gif

Trust me... I'm praying hard and often.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:23 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

well bud, i am in the same situation that you are somewhat....I am only 19, live at home, go to school at a university 15 credit hours a week and work 60hours a week as a GM for Havoline in VA. It is not fun stuff and this is only temporary. GET YOUR DEGREE DONE. I will be done with mine (both of them) in 3 semester also. if you have a chance to take online classes like i do....take advantage of it. It is great and I am now doing better when i can do it on my time.

Ultimately the decision is on you. But if you need any advice on anything, shoot me a PM sometime.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:32 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

K...Magic, I dun know ya but here's what I gotta say.

First, change your avatar, ...it's trippin me out bro. sad.gif lmao.gif

Second, take the promotion with welcome arms and finish your degree(s). Like REDZ said, it'll be hard but it'll be worth it. You gotta have the will power to do it, that's what counts.

And don't worry about the whole sleep thing, I've been doing that too, 40hrs sleep/week for about two years and now that 40hrs is dwindling even smaller now that I am enrolled full0time in an actual university, two jobs, and still trying to keep a life, (not to mention the car, flying, random daily errands, etc). I say "don't worry" cuz your body gets used to it. Don't get me wrong...it is in NO WAY healthy AS ALL for your body, but I can function during mentally intensive 18hr days with only 5hrs sleep. Just be sure to get 8 on the weekends, if ya can bro....it's like trainging your body sorta. If you pinch yourself in the same spot for a long enough time, your body will eentually start to say "F you Magik mad.gif, your so gay quit pinchin me..ya know what!! I'm not even gonna tell your brain that it hurts anymore, whatcha think about that jackass!" and baam, you won't feel pain (or sleep deprevation).

coffee rules. fing02.gif
Old 10-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

actually... I can't stand coffee. I survive on the Big Green MONSTER Energy drinks... about 2 or 3 per day. fing02.gif

Do you like the new avatar?
Old 10-17-2005, 10:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Go with the Blue Monster energy drinks (low carb). fing02.gif I drink them a lot at work.

I also work full time and go to school. What I did was cut my classes down depending on how much work is projected. This semester I am taking 1 class, the next 2 classes. It will take me longer to complete, but I will complete them, work is paying for it, and I got the job I wanted.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:22 AM

finish school...

Dont get married until your done with school, in the meantime save money so you can buy a house or something.

your almost at the finish line, too late to stop now...