Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Ever Heard Of Pendulum?

Old 09-18-2008 | 09:49 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, I heard a song by Pendulum on Pandora.com a few weeks ago and went and downloaded the album that it was on.

GOOD LORD!

These guys are insane, this has to be one of my new favorite groups.

Anyways, I can't access most of their stuff from work, but am listening to them on my phone.

Go out immediately and get this album.

Pendulum - Hold Your Colour

The first 2 songs and the prelude are amazing. Hell, I love this whole album. LOTS OF BASS, funky hits in it, and some really wierd effects.

Plastic World is really REALLY good, song #3, it's got a really good feel to it, like that 80's R&B feel. Kinda hard to explain. No 2 songs on it are the same style really.

Anyways, lots of samples of their songs or full versions on their Myspace, go check it out and tell me what you guys think. Listen to more than one for sure.

Okay, funk that, i forgot about song number 4 - Fasten Your Seatbelts. That's the name of it, it'll blow your frigging mind, and probably make you smile or laugh when the main tune hits.

OH, and one of the songs has a long clip from Willy Wonka, the original one, the whole thing where he goes off about the rowers rowing.

Twisted.

The Willy Wonka one is #5 BTW = Through The Loop
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:49 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Pendulum has been around for a really long time. They are notorious for being in most Junglists playlists. They are great for old skool Drum & Bass and Jungle. Their 2 biggest singles are Tarantula (it first hit mainstream when they played it on CSI: Miami) and Slam (check out the vid on YouTube...it'll crack you up). If you like them, also check out Benny Page. His biggest single is Turn Down The Lights. Some other great DNB artists are DJ Capital J, Goldie, Shy FX, Deiselboy, Evol Intent, Concord Dawn, and TeeBee.

You also might like Hardstep, Jump-Up, and Breakcore if you start really getting into DNB or Jungle. smile.gif

Edit:
Just dont let other Junglists know you are listing to Trance or Crystal Method, or you might have a large group of jaded junglists coming after you with a bat! tongue.gif Junglists are pretty much the most hardcore in the rave/electronica community. They take their music EXTREMELY seriously. They are notorious for going after Kandy Kids and Trance Heads, and truly know their music and the scene like the back of their hand. They wear alot of Ecko, jungle beads, and are very fashionable. Drug of choice is either pot or K. You will NEVER see a Junglist wearing kandy or doing anything with a glowstick. Dance of joice is 2 step (raver hop), popping, or breakin...never any liquid. So if you hang out with any or go to a party with DNB, just make sure you absolutely know what you're doing and talking about before talking to them about everything. Just a heads up.
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:49 AM

Damn man, I just downloaded this album last week cuz a friend of mine told me about em and I checked em out for myself.

I have to agree, GREAT album, and I dont usually like the reggaeish songs, but "Tarantula" is one of my favorites on the album. But I like every single song on it. It's a great find fing02.gif

I also looked into their newer release, "In Silico" but I dont like it too much. HYC is a much more hardocre album, but I do like the songs "Visions" and "Granite" off the new album. Sample those on amazon if ya want.
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:04 PM
Administrator

QUOTE (Dark Shark @ Sep 18 2008, 05:49 PM)
.... I dont usually like the reggaeish songs, but "Tarantula" is one of my favorites on the album......

Oh yeah...and thats the other thing. For the love of god....dont ever ever ever ever ever ever ever call DNB/Jungle "Reggae" around junglists. lmao.gif You will be laughed at and ridiculed faster than you can say Happy Raver if you do that. tongue.gif

And BTW....my avatar is from a movie called Human Traffic. If you REALLY want to hear some amazing artists, like Dillinja (go check out Dillinja & MC Skibadee - Twist Em Out...you'll really like that song), Felix Da Housecat, Carl Cox, and other really good artists....you'll like the movie. wink1.gif
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:45 PM

Haha, Ill keep that in mind if Im ever talking to one, which is very unlikely. DNB\Jungle is not something Im usually into, this album just happened to be one I actually like. Everything else Ive heard has not caught my ear like this one did. I'm not genre loyal or savvy, I just listen to what I like, I dont go researching everything about it, it just sounds good.

Thanks for the heads up anyways smile.gif

EDIT: But I will be looking up those you suggested, It'd be nice to find more that I like in the genre.
Old 09-18-2008 | 04:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (visionz @ Sep 18 2008, 11:49 AM)
Pendulum has been around for a really long time. They are notorious for being in most Junglists playlists. They are great for old skool Drum & Bass and Jungle. Their 2 biggest singles are Tarantula (it first hit mainstream when they played it on CSI: Miami) and Slam (check out the vid on YouTube...it'll crack you up). If you like them, also check out Benny Page. His biggest single is Turn Down The Lights. Some other great DNB artists are DJ Capital J, Goldie, Shy FX, Deiselboy, Evol Intent, Concord Dawn, and TeeBee.

You also might like Hardstep, Jump-Up, and Breakcore if you start really getting into DNB or Jungle. smile.gif

Edit:
Just dont let other Junglists know you are listing to Trance or Crystal Method, or you might have a large group of jaded junglists coming after you with a bat! tongue.gif Junglists are pretty much the most hardcore in the rave/electronica community. They take their music EXTREMELY seriously. They are notorious for going after Kandy Kids and Trance Heads, and truly know their music and the scene like the back of their hand. They wear alot of Ecko, jungle beads, and are very fashionable. Drug of choice is either pot or K. You will NEVER see a Junglist wearing kandy or doing anything with a glowstick. Dance of joice is 2 step (raver hop), popping, or breakin...never any liquid. So if you hang out with any or go to a party with DNB, just make sure you absolutely know what you're doing and talking about before talking to them about everything. Just a heads up.

I know you are passionate about this stuff Visionz, but jesus man.

Honestly, I could care less. I don't listen to music to impress my friends, I listen to what I like, and I usually don't like the faster stuff like Pendulum, but this album is an exception. If someone wanted to start shit with me because I listen to TCM, I'll just kick them in the nuts then shove a few chemlites up their asses.

I've been to plenty of "raves", "shows", and other events, and haven't ever had any problems with anyone, over anything. Kinda the point of this music isn't it?

QUOTE (Dark Shark @ Sep 18 2008, 11:49 AM)
Damn man, I just downloaded this album last week cuz a friend of mine told me about em and I checked em out for myself.

I have to agree, GREAT album, and I dont usually like the reggaeish songs, but "Tarantula" is one of my favorites on the album. But I like every single song on it. It's a great find fing02.gif

I also looked into their newer release, "In Silico" but I dont like it too much. HYC is a much more hardocre album, but I do like the songs "Visions" and "Granite" off the new album. Sample those on amazon if ya want.

I've got that one, but haven't listened to it yet. I agree, the 2 reggae style songs on there are REALLY good, and I hadn't heard either of them before (CSI sucks ass, I'm so sick of that frigging show, and I don't even watch it!).

Look up Lunatic Calm and see if you like them too, I saw them in Lawrence back in 97 with TCM. Bad ass.

Now that this mess is over, anyone else go look them up yet? What do you think?
Old 09-18-2008 | 05:55 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

visionz, you got your avatar from tranceaddict? i go there every month for updates. haha.

http://www.imeem.com/planetyorkshire/music...ld_your_colour/

it's alright. it's more like straight drum & bass. a good site for music is:

site: http://www.juno.co.uk/

d&b section: http://www.juno.co.uk/drumandbass/ei...eks/?nocache=1

just click on the release and a flash preview should pop up.
Old 09-18-2008 | 08:27 PM
Administrator

No, I got it from Pure Rave. Its a paid community of ravers from all over the world! smile.gif

I'm extremely passionate when it comes to electronica music, and I try to educate people as best possible, when they are talking about different genres. Alot of party kids, ravers, and club heads generally take this stuff just as serious.

Redz...its not about listening to music to impress others, or if you do it for yourself. Think of it this way...someone buys a RD Tib, and starts talking about it around you, but says alot of mis-information. You being fairly knowledgeable about the particular scene, will stand there and correct them on what they think they know.

Its the same with the rave culture, except people take their genres to heart a bit more. Its not just here in the states, but up in Canada and over seas in the UK as well. The rave scene has also changed quite a bit over the years, and its not one big happy family anymore. People have divided into their own groups of music genres, and those who have been going to parties and raves for a long time, dont put up with n00bs very well.....kind of like how RDT bashes newbies. nana.gif lmao.gif Thats most likely why you had no issues when you went back in the day. But if you were to go to a party today, that were all junglists, or all kandy kids, or all breakbeaters...and got your genres mixes up, or said you liked TCM.....you wouldnt be a very popular person there. Sad that its gotten that way, and one of the MANY reasons why parties and raves are starting to get more underground now. The REAL ones anyway. Not the typical "club rave" you see on a Friday night at some mainstream place.

Alot of you know that Im a DJ that spins every weekend, so I could talk about this stuff all day long. tongue.gif smile.gif In conclusion, I say...what ever makes you happy, listen to it and be yourself. But always make sure you know your genres and know a little bit about the artists you talk about. wink1.gif I leave you with this fun video to check out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ht-kaVFnBc (Mmmm...Breaks and DNB.....yum!)
Old 09-18-2008 | 09:53 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

The scene here in Oz is waaaay behind Europe & the States but... if any of what Visions said is true... that's probably a good thing, lol.

People pretty much mind their own business & like whatever they like over this way. I go to different clubs. A fair few of them. I dance whichever way I like. Can't remember the last time someone kicked up a fuss over me - or anyone else, for that matter - not dancing the right way to drum & bass or jungle, even though hard-house is probably more my thing. And the only people who care what you're wearing are the bouncers & door b****es wink1.gif

Edit*: after all of that, I totally forgot to say what I was going to say. Pendulum's cool. They do some awesome remixes too. One that comes to mind is The Prodigy's "Voodoo People" fing02.gif
Old 09-19-2008 | 05:17 AM
Administrator

If you like Hard House, I'll send you some links to check out some pretty sick UK Hard House and Chicago Hard House! Even some Gabber and Booty House, if you're into that too. smile.gif