Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

The drug talk

Old 09-13-2009, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent
Default The drug talk

Well it's been a wild week to say the least. First theres my situation with Erin then theres was the dreaded drug talk with your child that I just did tonight. Who better to have the talk with then an addict. I let Alyssa know about my use of the chronic and I told her everything about it that I could think of including the different ways to smoke it, needless to say it was shocking to her as she had no idea I was using. I showed her what my pipe looked like, well a flantened pipe anyway (yea bench vise) and also showed her my glass container I would keep my bud in that had a rubber seal to keep it fresher and hide the smell. Also told her that I had been smoking since before she was born and that alot of over reacting anger that came her way was do to me being high. Alyssa wanted to know why I decided to tell her and I told her there were 2 reasons. First reason was that I wanted to educate her on what it does to you and the problems it can create. I had her smell my pipe and the glass container I kept my bud in (that was still very strong with the scent) so she knows what it smells like. I figured that might come in handy if she runs into it later as she will know what it is. The second reason was that I wanted her to know so that she could kinda in a way be an ancor for me to make sure I never smoke again. I told her where i smoked and when i smoked and the effects to recongnize when I or anyone else for that matter is high. I feel so much better now that i have quit and that i had this talk with her. As an added bonus this weekend I noticed a significant increase in my stamina out on the mountain bike course and how quickly my lungs would recover after I would have to stop and rest. Well it's about time for bed so I will catch you all later.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Good luck dude.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

It seems like a responsible enough way of dealing with it. I hope your talk works, and that she helps keep you clean.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:45 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

yeah that's one reason why smoking is a double edged sword. My physical health always improves when I take a break less stress on my lungs and less munchies smile.gif good for you talking to her about it. i had to find out all about it on my own which meant smoking a lot of sub par product haha
Old 09-13-2009, 11:48 PM

Well I can't sleep so I am back. I hope the talk keeps her clean as I am not to worried about me. I have that exact same feeling inside me right now that i had when i decided to quit smokeing cigaretes back in 2003 so I feel confident but it's still good to have an ancor as well. Guys i would like to thank you for your support over the last week, it means alot.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:16 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai F24S

My mom was the first person I ever smoked pot with, I was 12. I had asked her about it, because I knew she smoked, and I knew nothing about it.

Granted, that's not the way I would have done it..my mom was never known for her smart decisions, but I understand why, for a few reasons. Two of which you explained, and the other one is because I know she would feel better knowing that I smoked with her, than a complete stranger. Not only that, but being subject to it my entire life and knowing about it early on gave me a much better understanding about it, as well as it's pros and cons.

I will never ridicule someone or think less of them for using marijuana. It's safer than alcohol and cigarettes combined, and both of those are legal and widely accepted by our hypocritical society we live in today. Some people like coming home, relaxing in their chair, and having a beer. Some would prefer a bowl. To each their own, IMO..I just wish people would start the argument where is started, instead of tiptoeing around this "medical usage" bullshit. Yeah, it does have some medical effect, but that's not why the majority of people smoke it. They smoke for the same reason other people drink..a temporary retreat from this island we call Earth. So instead of hiding behind your medical mumbo jumbo to try and get it legalized, how about you start preaching the truth - We have the right to do whatever the hell we want to our body, if you don't like it, don't do it. We DO live in a free country....right?

I'm 23 years old, I have a fantastic job working for a very large healthcare company, and I still use daily. I never let it affect my daily work, my social life, or my finances. As long as you're responsible about your vices, there's absolutely no harm in doing so.

And that's what I plan on telling my kid(s).
Old 09-14-2009, 11:14 AM

Smoking with your mom at the age of 12 just seems crazy to me but I am not saying that to judge you. I have smoked with my mom plenty of times but my first time I think I was about 21 or 22. Everyone in my family smokes and I mean everyone. My mom, step dad, real dad the last time I saw him, my uncles (moms brothers), there wives (aunts), cousins, my sister and her boyfriend and my second youngest brother evan my grandparents have used but are not currently. So when I say everyone in my family I really mean it except my youngest brother who has in the past but does not now. I will admit I love pot evan now but I am giving it up to better my life and cause I think it's time for me to "grow up" if you will. Not saying people that smoke are immature just that I was. I also need to break the pot smoking chain in my family cause Alyssa doesn't need to go down that road.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:23 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Accent

How old is your daughter?

It's good to open up to your child it's a way to be honest and as well she knows now that she can go to you to talk about her own problems she may encounter. You just built a stepping block of trust with her.

That's my Dr. Phil talking...

Old 09-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Alyssa turned 12 on 9/9/09