Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Driving from Washington (DC) to Washington (state)

Old 12-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6
Default Driving from Washington (DC) to Washington (state)

This weekend I'm picking up Tak's Accent and driving it all the way from coast to coast basically. Because of the cold weather in most of the country I'm not going to try to head straight across because driving a ways on ice is fine, but 3,000 miles of it is just asking for trouble. So I'm heading south, then across the country, then back north from Vegas. It's 59 hours of driving and 3,551 miles. I'm planning on doing it in 3 and a half days, hopefully getting me home by 10pm on Wednesday.

If you're anywhere near this route and want to meet up as I pass through let me know. If you're anywhere between the red lines on the map and you're interested at hosting me for a night on my way through let me know. I will be leaving DC on Sunday. I hope to get to about the first red line Sunday night, although I could drive as far as Oklahoma in one leg of the trip, although since that's 19 hours of driving that would be a stop for Monday morning. The one thing I don't have a lot of on this trip is flexibility. So, I probably can't swing 200 miles out of my way and be sure to be there at 3pm. I might be able to set up my stops in a way to be somewhere specific around a certain time though.

Also, if you're near this path anywhere and you're willing to help if I'm having car problems (fingers crossed that I won't need help) PM me your contact info just in case. I will have some basic tools, but I may need assistance if something major happens.

If nothing else, wish me luck. It's going to be an interesting trip.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

HyundaiKitCoupe in D.C.

Majik in Nashville

JDN902 in Pine Bluff, Ark. IIRC

SOCKS in ABQ

Patreezy somewhere near Flagstaff

I8ACOBRA in Las Vegas.

all i can think of right now....
Old 12-14-2010, 02:30 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Well I cant do much, But Wish you luck and a safe trip!!!

Hope it is smooth sailing from coast to coast!

Be safe!

I will see you when you get back, we should be home around the same day! haha
Old 12-14-2010, 07:37 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I think you've set an unrealistic goal. 3500 miles @ ~60mph = 16 hours a day. Add in 4 hours of stops per day and you've got 20 hours of driving a day. This is unsafe and also does not account for any closures or road work which will keep you driving at about 20mph.

You need to set your goal to 7 days. 8 hours a day is more then enough when driving across country. You will be a danger to yourself and others after 8 hours. 16 hours is just rediculous.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:12 AM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Hey if you need a garage or a bed in Vegas, let me know when.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Administrator

DTN, being an insomniac has it's benefits.

Anyways, I drive until I get tired, then stop in a rest area for an hour or two of sleep, then repeat. I don't drive when I'm tired. I also don't stop 4 hours a day. I'm not on vacation, the point is to cover ground. Driving to Vegas I didn't stop (17.5 hours), but driving home from Vegas I did stop once to sleep (20 hours).

Jared, I will let you know once I have some idea when I will be there.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

wow, quite the trip ahead of you!! going to be a long one.. i have driven michigan straight through 3 times and thats a pain in the ass (25 hours) You know I will be here if you have any car issues or need a place to crash.

I don't really have anything going on this weekend, so if you have issues that are anywhere close to ABQ I will do my best to come to the rescue.

you should still have my cell #. if you don't PM me.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Whaaat. Oh man, that's a long trip, but I have a friend who drove from D.C. to L.A. in 5 days no problems. Just have a GPS, and a lot of emergency supplies, backup cash...etc.

I am driving to Florida right after my exam Thursday Floyd!. It would be super to meet you + give or take an extra day to show you some of D.C. while you're here. Maybe another time huh.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Cool Socks. PM sent.

HKC, I can fly out sometime. I would love to hang out in the NYC to DC area for a week or something at some point, I just can't do it this time.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Hey HKC coming to Sarasota? I wouldn't mind meeting up lol

/off topic